The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lockout Protest Day

The NHL won't see another penny out of me until Bettman, Daly, and Campbell are gone, the biggest thing the last lockout showed me is that I can live just fine without the NHL. Unlike the NHL brass, I love the game, and it will continue on with or without those greedy jerks.

I'm not going to lock myself out any longer then they do. I already have 3 jerseys so I won't be buying much Canucks stuff. I live 9 hours north from Vancouver so I don't go to games. I sure as hell am not going to watch some reality show while the first game of the season is on.

Boycotting the NHL would mean boycotting crown royal as that is what I drink when I watch the games. I could never do that to crown royal.

I'm not opposed to a lockout for two reasons.

1) The game needs another reset because the officials have let obstruction back into the game. I don't want to watch the team with the best shot blockers win the cup.

2) A full year lockout serves as great development time for future superstars. If you look back at the last lockout, the first year back in the 05/06 season the number of new superstars was astounding. The Sedins, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Eric Staal, Ovechkin, Crosby etc. All of these players with the exception of Crosby(he was 18) benefited greatly from a full season of development without the NHL grind.

Some of the things that Bettman says, and how he says them, piss me off, no doubt.

There is no denying, though, that under Bettman's guidance, the NHL's revenues have increased, players make more, franchise values have increased and TV revenues are up.

He's not a great speaker... kind of awkward. He has helped grow the game significantly, though.

:towel::canucks:

I don't think a boycott has to involve completely ignoring the NHL altogether. Watch it at home on TV. Chances are you have cable or some alternative anyway. Just don't buy paraphernalia. Don't go to games...and spend ridiculous amounts drinking tons of overpriced beer...etc.

I pledge to do this at least as long into the season, whenever its ends up starting, as the lockout lasts.

If we truly want a better league, the only way to get rid of the current administration is to stop feeding the machine, they only listen to their wallets, you don't have to give up HOCKEY, just stop letting the NHL crap on you and bleed you dry with their overpriced product. Maybe stop being so spoiled and relearn your love of the GAME itself, maybe just go to a nearby arena and watch the kids play, it might bring back some good memories for some. For the price of 1 Canucks ticket you can likely see a half dozen or more Giants games or UBC Thunderbirds. Don't buy the centre Ice package, or PPV games, stop buying every overpriced bauble and trinket with an NHL logo on it.

Even if u get 1000 cdc'rs to agree to it maybe only 100 of them will stick to it and not sit dOwn to watch the first came of the season and were going to look dumber than the put Rory Fitzpatrick in the all star game movement.

Have fun with your boycott but I'll be watching the next televised NHL game

If we truly want a better league, the only way to get rid of the current administration is to stop feeding the machine, they only listen to their wallets, you don't have to give up HOCKEY, just stop letting the NHL crap on you and bleed you dry with their overpriced product. Maybe stop being so spoiled and relearn your love of the GAME itself, maybe just go to a nearby arena and watch the kids play, it might bring back some good memories for some. For the price of 1 Canucks ticket you can likely see a half dozen or more Giants games or UBC Thunderbirds. Don't buy the centre Ice package, or PPV games, stop buying every overpriced bauble and trinket with an NHL logo on it.

If there is a lockout, I am 100% not watching NHL anymore, I will follow the Giants and any other form of hockey I can watch but I refuse to watch the NHL one of the only sports where a lockout is threatened every time CBA negotiations come up.

Its kind of insulting that these guys cant figure out a way to split 3.3 billion dollars. I'd seriously love it if enough fans got together in each market and decided to not go to 1 game so each team plays in an empty building, may not hit them super hard in the pocket book but that would be 30 home games with absolutely no revenue coming in (especially nice since the big market teams would make quite an impact).I know that won't happen but I honestly think that would send a strong message to the players and owners.

I've asked this a couple of times and it hasn't been answered and that is after the last lockout did the ticket prices also receive a 24% rollback? If the players buckled again would ticket prices again receive a 24% rollback? If not, then why not? Expenses have gone down by 24% so its not like they would need ridiculous ticket prices just to break even anymore.

If there is a lockout, I am 100% not watching NHL anymore, I will follow the Giants and any other form of hockey I can watch but I refuse to watch the NHL one of the only sports where a lockout is threatened every time CBA negotiations come up.

Its kind of insulting that these guys cant figure out a way to split 3.3 billion dollars. I'd seriously love it if enough fans got together in each market and decided to not go to 1 game so each team plays in an empty building, may not hit them super hard in the pocket book but that would be 30 home games with absolutely no revenue coming in (especially nice since the big market teams would make quite an impact).I know that won't happen but I honestly think that would send a strong message to the players and owners.

I've asked this a couple of times and it hasn't been answered and that is after the last lockout did the ticket prices also receive a 24% rollback? If the players buckled again would ticket prices again receive a 24% rollback? If not, then why not? Expenses have gone down by 24% so its not like they would need ridiculous ticket prices just to break even anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived