The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL player that you lost respect for

Mayray2112

Lucic (local player making it big? Should've been good, but then he becomes a classless player)

Marchand (never liked him-- though didn't know him before Boston)

Chara (used to like him but just because he thinks he's big and tough doesn't mean that he should be allowed to act like he did)

Definitely Mark Recchi. I was a huge fan of him (being from Kamloops, former Blazer, loved him with the Flyers/Pens...but once he started yapping during the SCF, couldn't take him seriously.

Also: Alexander Radulov. Loved him when he was a rook, soon as he took off to the KHL, I hated him. When he came back, I thought he might pan out to be one of the great Russians of our generation...no.

Agree with a lot of names listed here, but most of them never earned my respect, so not much there to lose.

So in that sense I'd have to say Messier. He was the prototype of a player you would want to build your franchise around - that was never clearer than when Edmonton traded Gretzky and won the Cup without him - Messier emerged as arguably the best player in the world.

My loss of respect for him was culminated when he accepted the "C" in Vancouver . In my opinion a true leader would have acknowledged the existing captain, realized that he was (and still is) the face and identity of the franchise, and taken an "A", working beside him in partnership to win a Cup.

Brent Sopel. I've always liked Brent but he made some disrespectful comments on Twitter regarding the teacher's strike in Chicago, at the same time his own union is involved in a millionaires vs billionaires dispute with the owners.

Archived