Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Justin Trudeau to seek Liberal leadership

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
55 replies to this topic

#31 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,743 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:35 AM

Well I think Trudeau would be a great choice for the Liberials, I am worried he could split the NDP and Liberial vote and hand the Cons another majority.

If my fellow Canadians can't wake up to the destruction of our country at the hands of the Cons in the next few years and still manage to give them anything resembling a majority vote (split left or not)... we have bigger problems.
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#32 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,127 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:36 AM

This is ballsy on his part. The Liberals are looking a lot like a sinking ship right now, so I'm surprised he isn't waiting to see how they're fairing.

I agree.

Maybe he figures the Conservatives have peaked and the Liberals are about as far down as they can go.
Posted Image

#33 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,674 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:08 AM

It seems to be givein that he wins the Liberal leadership race. Is it?

Being able to secure the Quebec vote while not pandering to PQ voters is a huge perk. There hasn't been a liberal leader able to do that since Chretien. But can Justin Trudeau?

Maybe Justin wants to enter a leadership run at this young age because he and the Liberals feel that his reign could be the longest in Canadian history. His last name certainly helps. It's like a 'get out of political jail free' card. But he has some work to do, starting with converting as much of the NDP vote as he can. It helps that Jack Layton is no longer around. (RIP.)

What doesn't help is that he is ultra-young and can be made to look like a fool easily. To win the next federal election, his handlers will need to be on their A game. And if/when he wins, we can continue to be ignored by the east. Yay west!
Posted Image

#34 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,741 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:34 AM

With a user name like yours, shouldn't this be obvious to you?

The only thing that can save the Liberal party is a strong leader right now.

His last name alone will get people's attention, it's up to him to do the rest.

Feeding Trudeau into the Conservative attack machine is hardly allowing him the opportunity to grow as a leader - he and the LPC might have policy, but one slip of the tongue and he'll go the way of Iggy and Dion.

His only saving grace is in the name Trudeau, and that's if his target audience (youth) even know/remember what Pierre Trudeau did.

Edited by Common sense, 27 September 2012 - 10:35 AM.

#35 DonLever

DonLever

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,413 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:19 AM

A new poll say Trudeau and the Liberals could win an election with 39% of the vote.

http://news.national...exclusive-poll/

#36 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:32 AM

Haha, obviously he means he'll vote Liberal. What, do you really think citizens in just 3 ridings across the country are the only ones who choose the Prime Minister?

HaHa obviously he can't vote for Trudeau unless he lives in his riding.

He said "I would vote for him" not "I would vote for the liberal candidate in my riding".

Edit. The Parties could change their leaders anytime with only a party vote so yes only 3 ridings might decide who the next PM is.

Edited by WHL rocks, 27 September 2012 - 11:44 AM.

#37 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,098 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:33 AM

A new poll say Trudeau and the Liberals could win an election with 39% of the vote.

The guy is the next best PM.
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#38 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:43 AM

Wow that poll is not good news for anyone trying to run for the Liberal leadership against Trudeau. The Libs would be crazy to choose someone else with that much support for Trudeau.
Play Clash on Clans on your phone? Join the CDC Clan "angrycanuck".

"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

CDC's 2014 draft preferences vs. Canucks actual picks
http://forum.canucks...g-2014-edition/

#39 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:46 AM

I am curious as to what the question was

Do you think he (Liberals) would win?

or

Would you vote for him (Liberals)?
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#40 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • 6,127 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:05 PM

It seems to be givein that he wins the Liberal leadership race. Is it?

He seems to be the odds-on favourite right now. I didn't even realize anyone else was actually in the race until I went and looked it up.

According to Wikipedia there are three and none of them have ever held office before. One is a paramedic, another is a lawyer who used to work in the PM's office in the 80's and the other is a senior government economist.

I would think Trudeau could win that race. That would change if others throw their hat in the ring though.
Posted Image

#41 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:33 PM

He seems to be the odds-on favourite right now.  I didn't even realize anyone else was actually in the race until I went and looked it up.

According to Wikipedia there are three and none of them have ever held office before.  One is a paramedic, another is a lawyer who used to work in the PM's office in the 80's and the other is a senior government economist.

I would think Trudeau could win that race.  That would change if others throw their hat in the ring though.

The Lawyer also happens to be the mother of the orginal Trudeau's only daughter. So Justin will be running against his half-sisters mom.
Play Clash on Clans on your phone? Join the CDC Clan "angrycanuck".

"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

CDC's 2014 draft preferences vs. Canucks actual picks
http://forum.canucks...g-2014-edition/

#42 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,526 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:59 PM

I think it has to do with him earning the respect of Canadians with his, "You piece of sh*t".

Edited by Opmac, 27 September 2012 - 07:59 PM.

Posted Image

#43 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,925 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:02 PM

I think it has to do with him earning the respect of Canadians with his, "You piece of sh*t".

Strange to see an honest politician for a change.

CMc20QE.gif

Put Gino in the ROH

#44 D-Bo7

D-Bo7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:21 PM

Really?

JFK served as a Commander in the US military during WW2, then went on to become a US Congressman for 6 years then went on to become a US Senator for 7 years.

After all this he went on to become the US President for only 2 years before he was assassinated.

Trudeau has been a MP for 4 years. That's it. And he's only 41 years old. No way he's ready.

He doesn't have to be 50 to be PM but he does need qualification of having been something besides a high school teacher. Canada is a G7 country. There is great responsibility in being PM of Canada. This is not Estonia or Luxembourg.

He is not ready.

Right, because you learn a whole lot being a congressman...The only thing you learn being a congressman is the old "you scratch my back, I scratch yours."

I would rather a leader who hasn't been an MP for very long. Alot less chance that they have been corrupted by fat cat politicians.

The reality is, all you really need as a leader is charisma. If you surround yourself with the right people, you'll be successful. Or if you don't have charisma, like Harper, you can just force people to do what you want with manipulation and extortion.

#45 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:53 PM

Right, because you learn a whole lot being a congressman...The only thing you learn being a congressman is the old "you scratch my back, I scratch yours."

I would rather a leader who hasn't been an MP for very long. Alot less chance that they have been corrupted by fat cat politicians.

The reality is, all you really need as a leader is charisma. If you surround yourself with the right people, you'll be successful. Or if you don't have charisma, like Harper, you can just force people to do what you want with manipulation and extortion.

LOL

#46 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,741 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:40 PM

You learn the ins and outs of what being an MP means. Trudeau has been sitting as an MP for 4 years, and I'm sure he's done his fair share as his riding rep in the HoC, but what is that compared to Harper and his 16 years, or Mulclair and his 5 years as an MP/13 years in Quebec politics. Grinding it out as an MP is much more than Question Period or election season - why did you think Layton had his Quebec NDP rookies shipped off to camp and paired up with veteran house members as soon as they won their respective ridings? I guess time will tell whether Trudeau is ready for the LPC leader stage.

It's interesting you mentioned charisma though - you and I both know Harper is downright mundane (dull, boring, whatever you want to call it). It's brilliant because in any debate and in any event where there's cameras, he shifts the conversation to his bland style. It's brilliant in that he gives so little snippets or one-liners for the media to work with. As for extortion, fat chance that is happening while he is in the spotlight.

#47 D-Bo7

D-Bo7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:03 AM

You learn the ins and outs of what being an MP means. Trudeau has been sitting as an MP for 4 years, and I'm sure he's done his fair share as his riding rep in the HoC, but what is that compared to Harper and his 16 years, or Mulclair and his 5 years as an MP/13 years in Quebec politics. Grinding it out as an MP is much more than Question Period or election season - why did you think Layton had his Quebec NDP rookies shipped off to camp and paired up with veteran house members as soon as they won their respective ridings? I guess time will tell whether Trudeau is ready for the LPC leader stage.

It's interesting you mentioned charisma though - you and I both know Harper is downright mundane (dull, boring, whatever you want to call it). It's brilliant because in any debate and in any event where there's cameras, he shifts the conversation to his bland style. It's brilliant in that he gives so little snippets or one-liners for the media to work with. As for extortion, fat chance that is happening while he is in the spotlight.

Well I'm in the mindset that you're either born a leader or your not. More time in parliament will not make a person a better leader. And as far as the ins and outs of being a politician goes, the guy was raised by one of the best prime ministers this country has had. I'm sure he picked up a thing or two along the way.

Trudeau will be a great leader because he just naturally is. He doesn't need PR people to make him look and act like a human like Harper does.. All he has to do is be himself, and people will be able to relate to him more than any other leader they've trotted out in front of us outside of P. Trudeau and Layton. His biggest advantage if he can attain it, will be to finally inspire and capture the youth vote.

As for Harper being an extortionist. Maybe extortion is too harsh a word, but he's made it clear in the past that anyone who opposes him will be silenced, and even kicked out of his cabinet.

Edited by D-Bo7, 28 September 2012 - 12:05 AM.

#48 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,674 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:07 PM

Harper has reason to be scared.

So, what are the risks and rewards of a Trudeau dynasty for the Liberal party, for the ruling Conservatives and for the New Democrats?

For the Liberals, near-term, their leadership-selection process falls into disarray, as candidates flee the juggernaut. Few will want to throw a $75,000 admission fee away. More to the point, what donor will want to invest in a doomed campaign? There may be Grits of the Bay Street variety who decide, for the good of the party, that it cannot be a coronation, and that stalwarts such as Marc Garneau and Denis Coderre must therefore have a shot. But that's a tough sell knowing you're backing, at best, a future industry or environment minister.

But mid-term, whatever the texture of the race, Trudeau will give his party a new lease on life, even if he does little more than needle Prime Minister Stephen Harper and smile for the cameras. That's partly because Harper is now personally vulnerable. Half the population actively dislikes him. And politics is still, at root, a popularity contest.

Near-term for the ruling Conservatives, there's happy news: NDP Leader Tom Mulcair has a rival in Quebec, which will blunt the opposition leader's advance. It's divide-and-conquer: Let Trudeau attack Mulcair, and vice versa, over ground Harper no longer really needs anyhow. He has just five seats in Quebec, making the province irrelevant to his majority.

But mid-term, Harper's team has reason to fear Trudeau's charm, his particular appeal in Quebec, Ontario and B.C., and the Liberal party's time-tested ability to morph into whatever policy shape best suits its needs at any given time. Where Trudeau is strongest - likability - Harper is weakest. In year seven headed for 10, time is not on the prime minister's side in this regard. With Trudeau as his foil, it will be less easy for the PM to cast himself as the dour national bean counter, too busy with his spreadsheets to bother being human.

The PM's forays at the piano, the blue sweater, the hockey book, are fading in the public consciousness. Whether he wants to or not - clearly he resists this kind of pandering, because we haven't seen it recently even when it obviously would have helped him - he will feel pressure to retrieve Soft Harper from the crypt.

For the New Democrats, it's all bad news, near and mid-term. Trudeau's perfect fluency in French, his flair for the dramatic and the boxing match all make him a force to be reckoned with in Quebec, which historically prefers leaders with dash. Trudeau will set out first and foremost to eat the NDP's lunch. There is no reason to believe he won't meet with some success.

The wild card, of course, is Trudeau himself. If he fails to excite with some good ideas, once the initial flurry of interest abates, or if he goes supernova through some asyet unforeseen mistake - always possible for a first-time leadership candidate, but even more of a factor for the untested, the young, and those blessed or cursed with a risktaking gene - then he brings the Liberal party down around his ears and we're in a twoparty system for the foreseeable future.

http://www.edmontonj...2359/story.html

Sounds like the NDP have more reasons to be scared.

Woo, Trudeaumania?
Posted Image

#49 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • 6,127 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:46 PM

Harper has reason to be scared.

I'm surprised he doesn't have attack ads out on Trudeau yet.
Posted Image

#50 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,741 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:45 PM

I'm surprised he doesn't have attack ads out on Trudeau yet.

Why bother? They'll write themselves.

#51 Mr.Habitat

Mr.Habitat

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,665 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:32 PM

Well it's officially official.

Will be interesting to see him define himself .

#52 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,741 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:18 PM

Those who can't do, teach. Those who can't teach, become leader of the Liberal Party.

#53 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 16,743 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:01 AM

If the NDP figure they can't win on their own and the Liberals need an extra boost..(which I think they both will) and they're both invested in ousting Harper (which they should)...

I'm actually starting to like the idea of a merger. Let the Greens take over the far left, The "New LIberal Democratic Party" can bet the left/centre party that I think best suits most traditionally Canadian ideals/sentiments about governing.

Edited by J.R., 03 October 2012 - 10:02 AM.

"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#54 BabychStache

BabychStache

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:36 PM

I can just envision another NEP. Scares me.
Posted Image
Credit to Goaltenderinterference for the awesome Sig!

#55 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,531 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:19 PM

How about nominating Trevor Linden as Liberal Leader? At least I know he's a decent guy who cares about his community.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#56 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:24 PM

I think Trudeau has a distinct advantage due to his heritage, his youth, and what seems to be a brash and fiery personality. Whether his father had anything to do with how he views politics is still unknown to many. These few factors, though, will raise his popularity almost by default, and some will vote for him simply because of his public image.

Nobody should vote just because Trudeau is the son of a Canadian icon and tremendous leader; no son is exactly like his father. Still, some will vote because they see a name they recognize.

Edited by WeatherWise, 03 October 2012 - 02:28 PM.

The greatest segue into a weather segment.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.