Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Playing politics, with students as pawns - BCTF defends anti-pipeline teaching materials

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
62 replies to this topic

#61 Remy

Remy

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:59 AM

Of course the BCTF doesn't provide curriculum; the BC Ministry of Education does. However, teachers are taking unvetted materials found on the BCTF site, and adding that into curriculum.

You realize we use "unvetted" materials in the classroom on a near daily basis, right? It's about making connections. Sometimes it's a link to video on CBC, sometimes it's a movie, sometimes it's a classroom discussion. I don't think you fully understand what the curriculum is, or is intended to be. It's a framework, a series of goals and targets. It's not a rigid "on day X you teach this" manifesto. Each lesson that we teach, is custom built by us. There is no "teacher's manual" that we work from. That's why it took me six years (seven really, with a five year BA - the other two years being a BEd) to become a professional teacher.

Edited by Remy, 05 October 2012 - 11:00 AM.

#62 JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:28 PM

That's only because you agree with his points - not necessarily because his points are more valid than another person's. It's not rocket science.

It is absolutely folly to side with one side. Teachers are not more angelic than the government as a whole. Governments cut benefits and go back on their word, while teachers unions force teachers to renege on their duties that made them teachers to begin with. It is really interesting how many students 'side' with the teachers when really the teachers are the ones that cause the massive disruption in classrooms. Not the government because they haven't locked teachers out of buildings, or cut electrical bills - not yet anyway. That being said, the teachers union believes it always has no choice but to threaten strikes which is very ineffective because the government simply doesn't care. Also, not all teachers are represented properly by the teachers' union. They are handcuffed sometimes.

Regardless, neither 'side' are negotiating in good faith. Why is that the students are ALWAYS the losers?
I am not supportive of either one. Neither side really cares about the students, despite the advertisements that both of them throw out. It's all propaganda.

Actions speak louder than words.

Says the person I don't think I have ever agreed with.

Well smarty pants, what do you propose they do when government illegally removes class size legislation that teachers fought for and gave up wage increases in order to get in the first place? What do they do when contracts are legislated rather than negotiated? When they are threatened with hefty fines and retribution for anything seen as strike action? The government doesn't fight fair and they are always willing to take action  to hamper, if not completely prevent, teachers from doing anything about it.

Combined with that, when teachers do fight for change they are met with so much public outcry from the jaded and uneducated it only serves to undermine their efforts and strengthen the goverment adgenda. 

How do you suppose any of this  helps the students? Try being a part of the solution instead of part of the problem.

Oh yeah and thanks Remy, Miyagi thinks you pretty okay too.
Posted Image

#63 Dazzle

Dazzle

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,076 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:38 AM

Says the person I don't think I have ever agreed with.

Well smarty pants, what do you propose they do when government illegally removes class size legislation that teachers fought for and gave up wage increases in order to get in the first place? What do they do when contracts are legislated rather than negotiated? When they are threatened with hefty fines and retribution for anything seen as strike action? The government doesn't fight fair and they are always willing to take action to hamper, if not completely prevent, teachers from doing anything about it.

Combined with that, when teachers do fight for change they are met with so much public outcry from the jaded and uneducated it only serves to undermine their efforts and strengthen the goverment adgenda.

How do you suppose any of this helps the students? Try being a part of the solution instead of part of the problem.

Oh yeah and thanks Remy, Miyagi thinks you pretty okay too.

There's your problem right there.

Just because I side with no one that I'm a problem? Maybe that's probably why some teachers are so out of touch with reality.

Truth be told, I'm sure we have some agreements somewhere. Just because you haven't found anything that we have in common doesn't necessarily make us enemies. I'm not looking to stir the pot with you (well not intentionally).

I don't have a solution. That's the job of someone else's. I'm only stating what I think is a problem that neither side is really arguing in good faith. Students are the losers all the time. Tell me why. Nature of the business? I think so.

Edited by Dazzle, 06 October 2012 - 12:41 AM.

Posted Image --> THANKS EGATTI.

I have to say Dazzle's was the coolest. ROTFLOL

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.