The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 3.0

I think he would be a nice addition, I would love to have him, but if he can't play the right side he would just become another Ballard because I certainly wouldn't play him over Hamhuis, and maybe not even or Edler. So while I think he would be great here, and above average top 4 D-man for sure, I certainly don't think he would be our #1.

I'd post a response, but I wouldn't want facts/stats to affect your opinion of this "above average top-4 d-man" (who has done far more in his career than anyone on the Canucks' D has).

Very reasonable and not surprising at all that you folks would rank Dion behind Jason Garrison.

From the sound of it, I don't think Gillis will trade Luongo this season (if there is one).

If a trade doesn't make us a better team, why do it. There's no more important position than goaltending. If we want another shot at the cup, we have to make sure that position is rock solid.

The thing is, even if Phaneuf was the 30th best defenseman in the NHL, he would still be a #1 Defenseman on "a" team, statistically speaking, and would be a #2, 3 and 4 on all teams, except "maybe" the Canucks, who really don't have IMO a real #1, but actually probably have 4 #2's. With Ballards improved play last year, and the development of Tanev, Connauton, and Sauve, not to mention Alberts, the Canucks really don't need him, especially with the added preasure of a new cap, which will probably be 10 million or so less.

If the Canucks do make a trade, they should probably focus on a up graded young 2nd line play making Centre and a good draft pick and/or a top prospect. Anything else would be foolish. I think you have to stop worrying about who is right and who is wrong, as it doesn't really matter, unless Edler is somehow traded away, and then that starts a whole new arguement.

The thing is, even if Phaneuf was the 30th best defenseman in the NHL, he would still be a #1 Defenseman on "a" team, statistically speaking, and would be a #2, 3 and 4 on all teams, except "maybe" the Canucks, who really don't have IMO a real #1, but actually probably have 4 #2's. With Ballards improved play last year, and the development of Tanev, Connauton, and Sauve, not to mention Alberts, the Canucks really don't need him, especially with the added preasure of a new cap, which will probably be 10 million or so less.

This forum is amazing sometimes.

Popular opinion:

Raymond - Bum

Booth - God

Reality: Raymond has more points per game than Booth has over the last 3 seasons while getting less ice-time and less favourable linemates.

Phaneuf - Bum

Kulemin - God

Reality: Phaneuf scored more goals last season than Kulemin did and Phaneuf is a dman.

On what grounds can you possibly suggest that Bieksa is a better player than Phaneuf?

And is Edler really better offensively, or has he largely benefited from playing on one of the league's highest-scoring teams (like Ehrhoff did)?

All of this discussion is mostly moot, anyway, as I can't imagine Burke trading him, but it's very interesting at the level of undervaluing people seem to be giving Phaneuf. Overpaid? Maybe. Not to Ballard's level, though, not even close. He's an All-Star defenceman.

There's an argument that Phaneuf isn't even much better offensively than Leaf cast off Luke Schenn and offence is supposed to be Phaneuf's strength and Schenn's weakness.

IMO Toronto is just blowing up Phaneuf stat line and not giving defencemen the opportunities on merit. That is also why Komisarek is getting regular ice time and I'm going out on a limb here but maybe why Franson wants out.

You guys are crazy. Phaneuf would be in our top 4, but definitely not a #1. He is not defensively responsible, and can shoot, but not quarterback a PP. He is horribly inconsistent, and previously over rated. I don't think you could convince any hockey people outside Toronto that he was anywhere close to a top 10 D in the league, and likely more towards the bottom of the top 20 if that. I also know a couple people that know him, and apparently he is a douche. Take that for what it is, regurgitated unreliable info, but it doesn't fall far from where I had him estimated.

I personally would welcome a Phaneuf trade. He can replace Edler as far as I'm concerned. I feel Edler will be pulling an Ehrhoff and there will not be any replacement for him. Edler disappears in the playoff. If the argument for trading Luongo is that he weakens during the playoffs, the same can be said for Edler. If we could add Byfuglien too, our defense would be an absolute power to play against.

Phaneuf - Byfuglien

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Garisson - Tanev

Luongo or Schneider

Archived