3002 replies to this topic

#2041 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:43 PM

Again. It is not my concern who gets traded. Whether it is Luongo or Schneider and yes, I do realize Luongo already has a foot out the door, I couldn't care less about the matter. What I am looking for as of now, is a quote from Gillis that states he chose to go with Schneider over Luongo. And I'm looking for it from smurf47 the great. No need to protect smurf47 from adversity. It is time he delivers on what he spreads; that Gillis chose to go with Schneider. Smurf47, it is your chance to legitimize yourself as a professional individual.

and if you reread my post, I stated management had decided on which goalie to keep and which to trade. I did not specifically say MG as I believe it was a total management choice. Picking on my point of view, is picking on managements because we share that belief. Go grind your axe somewhere else as your pickiness is pointless. Lou is being shopped !!

#2042 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,255 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:15 PM

Phew... I am super glad we're not trying to trade for Cory Schneider. He would take a lot to get. It's a good thing we have him already.

good perspective / way of putting it

#2043 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:20 PM

I just find it interesting that King is on the same side as the majority on this particular issue... :)

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#2044 Tangerines

Tangerines

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:40 PM

So does Lu get traded as soon as the lockout ends? I'm sure if there is a deal in the works with the leafs that they would probably want to start the shortend season with a sure fire, top notch goaltender to insure themselves a playoff spot. Its going to be a drag race to get a spot in this years playoffs (provided there is a season), so might as well start with some solid goaltending no? Come on Burkie send Gardner plus our way and we'll both be happy..

Edited by JohnLennon, 04 December 2012 - 09:46 PM.

#2045 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,338 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:41 PM

So does Lu get traded as soon as the lockout ends?

I think so. I think the Luongo trade will be the first of a few trades to be announced.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#2046 Tangerines

Tangerines

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:50 PM

I think so. I think the Luongo trade will be the first of a few trades to be announced.

Thx for the acknowlegement. Just thought I'd add to my original post though, and you answered so quickley, lol.

#2047 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:52 PM

So does Lu get traded as soon as the lockout ends? I'm sure if there is a deal in the works with the leafs that they would probably want to start the shortend season with a sure fire, top notch goaltender to insure themselves a playoff spot. Its going to be a drag race to get a spot in this years playoffs (provided there is a season), so might as well start with some solid goaltending no? Come on Burkie send Gardner plus our way and we'll both be happy..

Likely true, however, unless Gillis and GM X have a pinky-swear deal in place, I wouldn't be surprised if Gillis waited a day or so in case teams like TB decide to re-enter the fray, or maybe the Flyers do get rid of Bryzgalov's contract and decide that they would like Luongo.

regards,
G.

Edited by Gollumpus, 04 December 2012 - 09:53 PM.

Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#2048 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,138 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:39 PM

Yep, unless Gillis does a complete 180, Luongo is on his way out sooner or later.

That's most likely, but I'd be surprised to hear any rational person say it's 100% that Luongo goes. What if someone decides to offer a significant deal for Schneider, one better than Gillis had been looking to get for Schneider up to the deadline last year?

If someone blows him away with an offer for Schneider - particularly if he's not getting the bites he wants for Luongo - he'd easily consider it rather than firmly sticking to a Luongo trade.

I haven't seen anything myself to say that Gillis or the management team has definitively decided Schneider is the goalie they are giving the starter position to, which is what CH101 is asking. I try and remind myself to not use absolute statements, and it's just a good reminder that anything could happen - even if one is more likely to.

Edited by elvis15, 05 December 2012 - 11:10 AM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#2049 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,255 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:45 PM

Luongo to Luong Island - where it all began...

for Okposo and Pokka (we need a young Finnish blueliner in the system to fill the Sami void).

And:

Kadri to the Islanders...
for Nabokov (or Dipietro -take your pick Torona! :bigblush:)

#2050 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,751 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:41 PM

Lu went up for sale as soon as the Canucks were eliminated. If there was any strength in the offers, at all, the deal would be done by now. Just like a piece of real estate, the first week is so critical (look at how the Penguins handled Staal, for example).

Lu said himself that he didn't expect to be back in Vancouver in August. Gillis probably had also expected stronger offers, and now is left in the precarious position of holding onto a weakening asset and hoping for some sort of miraculous offer to come around (unlikely, IMO).

The Staal deal happened at the draft, which coincidentally is one of the two times I suggested Luongo could be dealt if not before the season. That was a completely different situation, and really bears no resemblance other than the fact they are both stars. RFA vs. long contract, Staal knew where he wanted to sign, and so on...
It's funny, that's what he said he would do from the beginning, because he's not worried about having two awesome goaltenders, especially possibly heading in to a compressed season. It's a good problem to have when you're playing 4 games a week. He has time on his side.

Again. It is not my concern who gets traded. Whether it is Luongo or Schneider and yes, I do realize Luongo already has a foot out the door, I couldn't care less about the matter. What I am looking for as of now, is a quote from Gillis that states he chose to go with Schneider over Luongo. And I'm looking for it from smurf47 the great. No need to protect smurf47 from adversity. It is time he delivers on what he spreads; that Gillis chose to go with Schneider. Smurf47, it is your chance to legitimize yourself as a professional individual.

Whoa man, take a chill pill. You are being a sensationalist. Whether smurf is right in saying for sure Schneider is being kept over Luongo or not, you are asking for information that would never be released by management, so if you have the ace in your hand you don't have to smear it all over the poker table. Just play your card.

That's most likely, but I'd be surprised to hear any rational person say it's 100% that Luongo goes. What if someone decides to offer a significant deal fro Schneider, one better than Gillis had been looking to get for Schneider up to the deadline last year?

If someone blows him away with an offer for Schneider - particularly if he's not getting the bites he wants for Luongo - he'd easily consider it rather than firmly sticking to a Luongo trade.

I haven't seen anything myself to say that Gillis or the management team has definitively decided Schneider is the goalie they are giving the starter position to, which is what CH101 is asking. I try and remind myself to not use absolute statements, and it's just s good reminder that anything could happen - even if one is more likely to.

Exactly, no one has any business saying one way or the other for certain, but when words and actions point in an obvious direction, you're not exactly putting it all on black to say Schneider's our guy in the future.

Edited by WiDeN, 04 December 2012 - 11:47 PM.

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

Posted Image
2 0 14 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

#2051 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:57 PM

and if you reread my post, I stated management had decided on which goalie to keep and which to trade. I did not specifically say MG as I believe it was a total management choice. Picking on my point of view, is picking on managements because we share that belief. Go grind your axe somewhere else as your pickiness is pointless. Lou is being shopped !!

Then find me a 1st source quote (management) reported by a second source (media) that states management has decided to go with Schneder over Luongo.

#2052 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:16 AM

The Staal deal happened at the draft, which coincidentally is one of the two times I suggested Luongo could be dealt if not before the season. That was a completely different situation, and really bears no resemblance other than the fact they are both stars. RFA vs. long contract, Staal knew where he wanted to sign, and so on...
It's funny, that's what he said he would do from the beginning, because he's not worried about having two awesome goaltenders, especially possibly heading in to a compressed season. It's a good problem to have when you're playing 4 games a week. He has time on his side.

Whoa man, take a chill pill. You are being a sensationalist. Whether smurf is right in saying for sure Schneider is being kept over Luongo or not, you are asking for information that would never be released by management, so if you have the ace in your hand you don't have to smear it all over the poker table. Just play your card.

Exactly, no one has any business saying one way or the other for certain, but when words and actions point in an obvious direction, you're not exactly putting it all on black to say Schneider's our guy in the future.

If management would not divulge such information as to whether it decided to go with one goaltender or the other,

If no one has no business stating for certain, that management has decided to go with one goaltender or the other,

If no such information can be found regarding such matters as a management making a choice between one goaltender or another,

Then it is our duty as fans, posters and fact seekers, to call one on falsified information, in this case, is smurf47.

He either admits to falsifying facts, or he finds a secondary source quoting first source. Simple really...

Edited by Canucks_Hockey_101, 05 December 2012 - 12:17 AM.

#2053 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,751 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:28 AM

If management would not divulge such information as to whether it decided to go with one goaltender or the other,

If no one has no business stating for certain, that management has decided to go with one goaltender or the other,

If no such information can be found regarding such matters as a management making a choice between one goaltender or another,

Then it is our duty as fans, posters and fact seekers, to call one on falsified information, in this case, is smurf47.

He either admits to falsifying facts, or he finds a secondary source quoting first source. Simple really...

He doesn't have to do anything.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but merely sensationalizing. Have enough faith in your argument that you don't need to seek his approval.

Posted Image

#2054 WolfxHaley

WolfxHaley

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:43 AM

haha, page 69 :bigblush:

Posted Image

#2055 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:04 AM

He doesn't have to do anything.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but merely sensationalizing. Have enough faith in your argument that you don't need to seek his approval.

I understand you point of view on the matter and I respect your opinion. You are indeed one of the most credible posters on this site. What I am doing here is simply pointing out a major flaw in fandom and mass movements whereby falsified facts can go astray and, are, in the long run, considered actual fact.

Even though it does appear, that Luongo made his own bed and management finds itself at a crossroads between making a choice between two goaltenders; one on a hefty, anchoring contract and getting up there in age, and the other, young, poised and on a seemingly perfect contract, no one from Canucks management has stated anything regarding a choice between Luongo and Schneider.

The tribulation ahead of us is of great importance for the franchise and factual evidence must be scrutinized so as to understand the true picture in this situation. Spreading falsified facts does not help in any way, to get to the bottom of things, especially when only supported by such personal claims and opinions as smurf47 has done so many times in so many posts..

This fandom concerning Schneider, a recent sensation nonetheless, not only clouds the judgement of posters, players and the ream's value, it also prevents posters who would like to discuss other options such as the possibility of a Schneider trade, even if remote, from posting here in this thread, as they will be ganged up in personal attacks aimed at their intellect, maturity and even age.

It is rather disconcerting and it prevents real discussion from other perspectives from taking place.

I respect your opinion, as I respect the opinions of most posters on this board. Even King of ES does have some very good points from time to time. There are, on the other hand, a few posters who engage in popular opinion and spread it as facts, mostly based on skewed deduction. These falsified facts are then internally quoted as sources and it only confuses matters at hand.

It is my belief that such falsified facts are very dangerous. I understand this is only about a player and a team, not world politics and nuclear development. Nonetheless, there is enough to play around. No need to spread falsified fact by repetition and self quoting.

Edited by Canucks_Hockey_101, 05 December 2012 - 01:47 AM.

#2056 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:42 AM

How? Kadri is a top 10 pick, Bozak is a very solid third line center, and the 2nd could be a high 2nd. A roster player, a top prospect, and a pick. All of which are what MG wants for Luongo.

Kadri is Junk, read my post on page 67. The guy is a 3 year pro, a center drafted 6th overall and can't crack a non playoff team in need of an offensive center...hmmm...something is just a not right there hey?

Bozak agree solid 3rd liner.

So we're trading an all star who is still only 33, yes with a big contract but is still a top ten goalie in the league with the ability to be the top goalie in the league and potential to be a vezina winner, is a goal medal winner, tons of playoff experience, been to game 7 of the finals, will get the leafs into the playoffs..

for a 3rd liner and 2nd round pick in the middle (bc they will make the playoffs with Lou and JVR) and a guy who will be a career AHL'er?

WOW

#2057 Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks_Hockey_101

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:45 AM

Kadri is Junk, read my post on page 67. The guy is a 3 year pro, a center drafted 6th overall and can't crack a non playoff team in need of an offensive center...hmmm...something is just a not right there hey?

Bozak agree solid 3rd liner.

So we're trading an all star who is still only 33, yes with a big contract but is still a top ten goalie in the league with the ability to be the top goalie in the league and potential to be a vezina winner, is a goal medal winner, tons of playoff experience, been to game 7 of the finals, will get the leafs into the playoffs..

for a 3rd liner and 2nd round pick in the middle (bc they will make the playoffs with Lou and JVR) and a guy who will be a career AHL'er?

WOW

Kind of my point... Insane and asinine.

#2058 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:48 AM

I'll offer a rebuttal to your post with the following, simple question, which always answers every last question to the market value of every last player:

WHERE ARE ALL OF THE OTHER BUYERS FOR LUONGO?

Answer: they don't exist.

That's fair point but it doesn't mean you give him up for scraps then. We can win with both goalies splitting the season. Our team is strong, it can make a run as is if we're healthy, you don't trade away assets for nothing and expect to win long term.

Eventually, a goalie will get hurt this year, especially with a shortened training camp etc. Always happens, ever notice what happens to players who hold out/etc and miss camp, then tend to see injuries galore through the year. As much as these players are pro's alot of them still don't train as hard as they need to in the offseason, esp goalies, all of a sudden you have a market.

If I own a stock that's undervalued, I can choose to keep it until the market recognizes its value, or I can sell it for cheap and crystalize a loss, give someone else the big gains, that's just dumb business sense..

#2059 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:56 AM

I've said it before, Kadri and Bozak + pick would be a reasonable return for Luongo. I don't have Kadri in my theoretical Canucks lineup, because I know AV and I know Kadri isn't defensively responsible. Does that make him a complete bust? No, just means he has to spend another year developing in OUR system. I remember the growing pains with Wellwood, he had all kinds of Leaf bad habits including eating an excessive amount of cheeseburgers. Kadri is a top notch dynamic forward, a future top 6 player that is worth the gamble. I also like the optimism directed towards Schroeder, I've stuck with this kid all the way and it's good to see him get some recognition.

The best immediate return from the deal with Toronto would be Bozak. Yes, he would be our 3rd line centre but he would be a productive 3rd line centre, he would give us the ability to attack with 3 lines like when Hodgson was here. Bozak is also good in his own zone, and has seen his offensive numbers increase every year he's been in the league. His stock is climbing, a sound investment for a team this deep.

Bozak for Luongo? Wow...

1. Agree Bozak is a good 3rd liner. Fills the void for when Manny leaves, and Lappy can take 4th.
2. Giving up an All Star Goalie, with actually a reasonable cap hit contract relative to other top ten goalies although a long contract for a 3rd liner is ridiculous.
3. Bozak stock is rising because he played on a line with Lupul who was having a career year before he got hurt and Kessel. He was the beneficiary of some very talented wingers. That being said, can he play the role of a Morrison between a Bert and Naslund, sure...but still not enough.
4. Kadri is junk, he's a bust and going no where in the NHL - as I have said prior. 3 yr pro, offensive center, drafted 6th overall, and can't crack a lineup of one of the worst teams in the league in need of an offensive center? Says enough.

#2060 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:07 AM

I understand you point of view on the matter and I respect your opinion. You are indeed one of the most credible posters on this site. What I am doing here is simply pointing out a major flaw in fandom and mass movements whereby falsified facts can go astray and, are, in the long run, considered actual fact.

Even though it does appear, that Luongo made his own bed and management finds itself at a crossroads between making a choice between two goaltenders; one on a hefty, anchoring contract and getting up there in age, and the other, young, poised and on a seemingly perfect contract, no one from Canucks management has stated anything regarding a choice between Luongo and Schneider.

The tribulation ahead of us is of great importance for the franchise and factual evidence must be scrutinized so as to understand the true picture in this situation. Spreading falsified facts does not help in any way, to get to the bottom of things, especially when only supported by such personal claims and opinions as smurf47 has done so many times in so many posts..

This fandom concerning Schneider, a recent sensation nonetheless, not only clouds the judgement of posters, players and the ream's value, it also prevents posters who would like to discuss other options such as the possibility of a Schneider trade, even if remote, from posting here in this thread, as they will be ganged up in personal attacks aimed at their intellect, maturity and even age.

It is rather disconcerting and it prevents real discussion from other perspectives from taking place.

I respect your opinion, as I respect the opinions of most posters on this board. Even King of ES does have some very good points from time to time. There are, on the other hand, a few posters who engage in popular opinion and spread it as facts, mostly based on skewed deduction. These falsified facts are then internally quoted as sources and it only confuses matters at hand.

It is my belief that such falsified facts are very dangerous. I understand this is only about a player and a team, not world politics and nuclear development. Nonetheless, there is enough to play around. No need to spread falsified fact by repetition and self quoting.

While I agree no one has 'stated' the Nucks are trading Lou, I do think it is obvious he is going. Now I have not been the biggest Lou fan as I do think Schnieds will be better, but Lou is still a terrific goalie, has done a great deal for the city, and is great person, but nonetheless I think the writing is on the wall.

In addition, I do think Schnieds would see the nucks get a better return, younger, better, cheaper. So I do see the argument that asset management + cup winning probability says you trade Schnieds, as Lou could get us there again and could win it if we're healthy and get hot again, we know that for a fact. And, Schnieds could bring back that young talented center we covet.

However;

1. The media and fans in this city have run Lou out of town. If he slips they will be all over him, and if Schnieds is elsewhere playing well it would just get over the top circus act on him here. The man deserves better for one, and realistically needs to be moved for both the team's sake and his own, fresh start needed.

2. AV lost confidence in him. Now, the break may help heal that a bit, but clearly AV's leash is gone. The fact Schnieds stepped in and played so well shows he can play. Thus the better return argument. Again, points to Lou traded.

3. The Ghost of Cam Neely and Cody Hodgson*. I don't think the Nucks want to get in the habit of trading away young players who are on the verge of stardom (Neely) or who they've developed well for other,(*cody has lots to prove, grabner) however, highly toughted prospects. Better to restock with the trade of vets whose services can / have been replaced. Even if it means a bit less.

4. Alot of people speculating on junk we'll get back from Toronto. Well, perhaps we let the season start, see how those leafs do without a goalie and a shortened season where people are pissed and then see how the market for Lou looks, especially if other goalies go down with injuries, which inveitably happen.

5. We can allow both players to stay in Van for this season, its not a bad insurance policy and we don't have huge holes to fill on the roster.

Edited by BuretoMogilny, 05 December 2012 - 03:10 AM.

#2061 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:05 AM

Bozak for Luongo? Wow...

1. Agree Bozak is a good 3rd liner. Fills the void for when Manny leaves, and Lappy can take 4th.
2. Giving up an All Star Goalie, with actually a reasonable cap hit contract relative to other top ten goalies although a long contract for a 3rd liner is ridiculous.
3. Bozak stock is rising because he played on a line with Lupul who was having a career year before he got hurt and Kessel. He was the beneficiary of some very talented wingers. That being said, can he play the role of a Morrison between a Bert and Naslund, sure...but still not enough.
4. Kadri is junk, he's a bust and going no where in the NHL - as I have said prior. 3 yr pro, offensive center, drafted 6th overall, and can't crack a lineup of one of the worst teams in the league in need of an offensive center? Says enough.

I'm not going to take the ES route and discredit Luongo's value. What I will say is that he is 33, he will be 34 after a shortened season. Goalies sometimes play into their 40s, and I'm sure Luongo would be good for the next 5 or so years. His accomplishments that you listed certainly benefit us in a trade.

The most important thing we get back in this trade is YOUTH, we get a 26 y/o Bozak who put up 47 points last year and some highlight reel goals. We get a young top prospect in Kadri, who could very well benefit without the constant Toronto spotlight playing for either the Marlies/Leafs. The numbers don't lie with Kadri, who has been a ppg forward in the AHL in his first two years. I'm not over the moon with Kadri either, and even in my post I said he probably wouldn't crack our lineup. What he does do is give us insurance down the road, for when the Sedins retire and Kesler/Booth move past their prime. We would ideally require someone with raw offensive instincts like Kadri to take the reigns. With our team being deep and our core being set the Kadri development curve could be a little longer than the Leafs frequent pressure on a KID to be their saviour. I'm surprised he hasn't been institutionalized. The pick is of course a bonus.

Luongo is on his way out, and I'm not sure why some people still think a Schneider trade is a possibility. The fact that other teams know Luongo HAS to be moved significantly impacts what teams are willing to pay for Luongo. I'm of the opinion that a Petrovic/Bjugstad return for Luongo would be magnificent. Neither of these two players would even be an option to play for the Canucks this year. With that said I think the rumoured Kadri/Bozak trade would be a decent return.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#2062 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:36 AM

Luongo to Luong Island - where it all began...

for Okposo and Pokka (we need a young Finnish blueliner in the system to fill the Sami void).

The fact that they're moving to Brooklyn actually makes them a much more realistic possibility, but you've gotta think that Mr. Wang will have some concerns over having another goaltender that he's committed to until the next ice age. They're also pretty far away, even further away from Toronto, as it relates to being a possible contender.

They would be a logical trade partner, though, but I have doubts that Lu would accept.

#2063 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:40 AM

Not really completely different. Was Shero under any obligation to trade him to the Hurricanes? Nope. He was not obligated to trade him at all. What he did, though, was work in the background so that he could accommodate his player, and also not make it an ordeal. Luongo has already turned into an ordeal. This "nice problem to have" crap is so wrong. You say that he has time on his side - I'll ask again in what direction you think Luongo's value will go if he plays this entire season as our backup.

#2064 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:46 AM

But they have. Mike Gillis has spoken pretty openly about it on the radio. And a quick Google search found the below article, which offers a bit of confirmation.

Gillis did acknowledge that before the lockout he talked with several teams about trading the 33-year-old goaltender. Luongo lost his first-string status during the playoffs to Cory Schneider, who has since signed a three-year contract with the Canucks.

http://www.torontosu...one-mike-gillis

#2065 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:50 AM

That's fair point but it doesn't mean you give him up for scraps then. We can win with both goalies splitting the season. Our team is strong, it can make a run as is if we're healthy, you don't trade away assets for nothing and expect to win long term.

What's the alternative? Give him up for even less scraps in 2013? Where do you think his value's going the longer that he stays with us?

Eventually, a goalie will get hurt this year, especially with a shortened training camp etc. Always happens, ever notice what happens to players who hold out/etc and miss camp, then tend to see injuries galore through the year. As much as these players are pro's alot of them still don't train as hard as they need to in the offseason, esp goalies, all of a sudden you have a market.

If that happens - if - the team in question will probably be looking for a band-aid type of solution, because they're probably already fairly heavily invested in whatever goalie is hurt (simple odds). That being the case, do you really think they'll be interested in Luongo, who has 9 years and big $ left on his deal? Lu's not a "band-aid"; he's changing the course of your franchise. If Ryan Miller gets injured, do you think Buffalo's going to suddenly have this great desire to acquire Roberto Luongo?

If I own a stock that's undervalued, I can choose to keep it until the market recognizes its value, or I can sell it for cheap and crystalize a loss, give someone else the big gains, that's just dumb business sense..

...or you can sell it, take a loss, and not expose yourself to greater losses.

Edited by King of the ES, 05 December 2012 - 04:52 AM.

#2066 briana

briana

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:46 AM

Has Schneider left for Switzerland yet...

What would happen if he injures himself..type groin injury..then what ....do we still trade Lou or what....

#2067 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,751 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:58 AM

Not really completely different. Was Shero under any obligation to trade him to the Hurricanes? Nope. He was not obligated to trade him at all. What he did, though, was work in the background so that he could accommodate his player, and also not make it an ordeal. Luongo has already turned into an ordeal. This "nice problem to have" crap is so wrong. You say that he has time on his side - I'll ask again in what direction you think Luongo's value will go if he plays this entire season as our backup.

Well, he couldn't sign him, so he would have had to take a star player to arbitration, or face an offer sheet from Carolina, so yeah, his hand was forced.
In a condensed season, he wouldn't be our backup at all. He would likely be splitting games pretty even. I have no more evidence that he won't go down in value than you do that he will. But, I guarantee he will be playing more than a typical backup.

Posted Image

#2068 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,913 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:34 AM

That's most likely, but I'd be surprised to hear any rational person say it's 100% that Luongo goes.

OK, how about 99.9%?

(0.1% chance for severe injury or death of Cory Schneider?)

Edited by D-Money, 05 December 2012 - 09:36 AM.

Posted Image

#2069 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:37 AM

Well, he couldn't sign him, so he would have had to take a star player to arbitration, or face an offer sheet from Carolina, so yeah, his hand was forced.
In a condensed season, he wouldn't be our backup at all. He would likely be splitting games pretty even. I have no more evidence that he won't go down in value than you do that he will. But, I guarantee he will be playing more than a typical backup.

You're clearly not seeing the risk in even that taking place. Consider the outcomes:

-Luongo clearly outplays Schneider. That makes it pretty difficult for us to trade Luongo, then, does it not?
-Schneider clearly outplays Luongo. This obviously has a further negative effect on demand for Luongo.

The only outcome that would be ideal would be a 50/50 split (roughly) in playing time, and practically equal stats. That's possible, but not likely. In addition, I would suspect that in doing this, you've pissed off both goaltenders, because both will be under unbelievably heavy pressure to perform (Schneider to assert himself as #1, Luongo to assert that he's also still a #1). Bad situation all-around.

Edited by King of the ES, 05 December 2012 - 10:38 AM.

#2070 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:50 AM

Then find me a 1st source quote (management) reported by a second source (media) that states management has decided to go with Schneder over Luongo.

Luongo is on the trade block, so, through reasonable deduction, the job belongs to the other goalie, thus, Schneider. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it might be safe to say its a freaking duck. I'll rephrase my statement to satisfy your annal view. Its APPEARANT, that management has chosen Schneider over Lou, because, they are obviously trying to trade Lou, with nary a rumour about a Schneider trade. Now, stick your pen where the sun don;t shine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.