27 replies to this topic

#1 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,339 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:45 AM

AHL's Chicago Wolves assign Darren Archibald and John Negrin to Kalamazoo of ECHL and sign Kenton Miller and assign him Missouri of CHL.

source:
https://twitter.com/...100674775965696

The tweet says that the Wolves assigned him - but they would've needed Canucks approval to do so.

Edited by Squeak, 10 October 2012 - 11:57 AM.

Posted Image

#2 Where's Wellwood

Where's Wellwood

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,159 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:49 AM

We signed Kenton Miller? I thought you couldn't sign anybody during the lockout. Or is that only players under NHL contract?
Posted Image
Credit to khalifawiz501 for the sig.
My old sig: http://tinypic.com/v...=5#.UlSrrlAWJ7U

#3 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,339 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:51 AM

We signed Kenton Miller? I thought you couldn't sign anybody during the lockout. Or is that only players under NHL contract?

The Wolves signed Miller and assigned him to the CHL.
Posted Image

#4 g_bassi13

g_bassi13

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:52 AM

It's an AHL signing by the wolves, so NHL lockout has no bearing on it..

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

On the off-chance I die, gbassi, I love you.

#5 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,580 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:53 AM

Archiblad? is he a vampire now?

#6 Where's Wellwood

Where's Wellwood

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,159 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:56 AM

Sorry, thread title said 'Canucks assign Archibald' so I thought it was the Canucks that signed Kenton Miller.
Posted Image
Credit to khalifawiz501 for the sig.
My old sig: http://tinypic.com/v...=5#.UlSrrlAWJ7U

#7 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,339 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:57 AM

Archiblad? is he a vampire now?

No idea what you are talking about :rolleyes:
Posted Image

#8 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,580 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:18 PM

CHEATER!

#9 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,881 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:22 PM

I expect we'll see even more roster cuts coming. This puts the current roster at 28, still with 3 goalies, 8 defenseman, 17 forwards. I think Corbeil ultimately gets sent down then the other options fall on how many veterans they want to carry.

Disappointed to see Archibald get sent down, but I guess it was more of a numbers game. When the NHL eventually resumes I expect Archibald to get one of the 5-6 spots inevitably vacated.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#10 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,048 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:48 PM

I expect we'll see even more roster cuts coming. This puts the current roster at 28, still with 3 goalies, 8 defenseman, 17 forwards. I think Corbeil ultimately gets sent down then the other options fall on how many veterans they want to carry.

Disappointed to see Archibald get sent down, but I guess it was more of a numbers game. When the NHL eventually resumes I expect Archibald to get one of the 5-6 spots inevitably vacated.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Corbeil was re-assigned to the St. John's Sea Dogs, leaving the Wolves with just two goalies now.

I think that should be it for roster cuts, since it's not that uncommon to carry that many forwards in the AHL.

Sucks to see Archibald go down, but something tells me he just doesn't have the work ethic. Hopefully he can learn that in the ECHL.

Edited by DeNiro, 10 October 2012 - 12:50 PM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#11 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,580 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:56 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Corbeil was re-assigned to the St. John's Sea Dogs, leaving the Wolves with just two goalies now.

I think that should be it for roster cuts, since it's not that uncommon to carry that many forwards in the AHL.

Sucks to see Archibald go down, but something tells me he just doesn't have the work ethic. Hopefully he can learn that in the ECHL.

Chicago assigned Corbiel to their Central Hockey League farm team (missouri), not his junior team.

#12 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,048 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:05 PM

Chicago assigned Corbiel to their Central Hockey League farm team (missouri), not his junior team.

Oh right, I guess he's too old to go back there anyways. I knew he was assigned somewhere.

Edited by DeNiro, 10 October 2012 - 01:05 PM.

Posted Image

#13 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,526 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:06 PM

Nevermind.

Edited by Opmac, 10 October 2012 - 01:06 PM.

Posted Image

#14 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:56 PM

Interesting that Mallet has made it further than Archibald. Seems like he's impressing the Wolves.

i44w87.jpgryanroyazzopardi+rolled+a+random+image+p
Blue Team

#15 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,906 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:09 PM

I was a skeptic about drafting Mallet > mature draft thing... But this appears positive for his prospects and he must be putting in the same effort that allowed him to improve so much after being passed on in earlier draft years that warranted a 2knd round pick...?

:towel:

Archibald was an undrafted signee I believe (someone can appreciatively confirm?)? DeNiro noted a thought the issue might be work ethic (?). You would think he would be even more motivated and put in the grunt...

<_<

Interesting that Mallet has made it further than Archibald. Seems like he's impressing the Wolves.

#16 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,906 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:15 PM

Is there a little Ol' rivalry here :wub: ???

CHEATER!

#17 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:52 PM

Hope he tears it up in the E.
RIP LB28, RR37 and PD38... Forever a Canuck

#18 micgao

micgao

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,595 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:11 PM

BUT HE'S THE NEXT LUCIC!!!11!!11!1!
Posted Image

#19 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,906 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:27 PM

Was that not Hodgson? :huh:

But seriously; Archibald scored plenty in the ECHL and should be pressing like a bastard to take time from the Kassian's of the world. I doubt he would be taking his spot on talent (undrafted vs high first rounder); but we should have heard about him taking on Kassian, doing the high energy nasty job's that make it hard to cut you, to win a spot?

(Just like we should have saw a high energy, fit, Kassian busting heads and checking like a demon in the NHL last year...). We hear Kassian has been training like a demon this off season, where is Archibald at???

BUT HE'S THE NEXT LUCIC!!!11!!11!1!

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 10 October 2012 - 06:31 PM.

#20 bossram

bossram

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:53 PM

Disappointing for Archibald. Would have liked to see him in the AHL and how he was developing. He already shredded the ECHL last season. I guess its just a numbers game because of the lockout.
What is the deal with Mike Gillis, it always seems like he's sweating...

#21 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:05 PM

I was a skeptic about drafting Mallet > mature draft thing... But this appears positive for his prospects and he must be putting in the same effort that allowed him to improve so much after being passed on in earlier draft years that warranted a 2knd round pick...?

:towel:

Archibald was an undrafted signee I believe (someone can appreciatively confirm?)? DeNiro noted a thought the issue might be work ethic (?). You would think he would be even more motivated and put in the grunt...

<_<

If you follow him on twitter you'd see he is a gym rat, he's in great shape, so any work ethic issues must be on-ice. Although he scored a goal and played well, or so I've heard. I think that he was sent down so he can get more playing time and not be riding the pine like I think Friesen and Mallet will be (for a good part of the season at least).

i44w87.jpgryanroyazzopardi+rolled+a+random+image+p
Blue Team

#22 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,048 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:11 PM

If you follow him on twitter you'd see he is a gym rat, he's in great shape, so any work ethic issues must be on-ice. Although he scored a goal and played well, or so I've heard. I think that he was sent down so he can get more playing time and not be riding the pine like I think Friesen and Mallet will be (for a good part of the season at least).

It's all about on ice work ethic with him. I guess I should have been more specific.

A player can be in great shape but it doesn't always translate to working hard on the ice.

Pretty much he doesn't backcheck and doesn't battle for the puck enough. He floats around too much. Which is why he was sent down instead of guys like Mallet, Friesen, or Matson; who work their tails off every game.

Edited by DeNiro, 10 October 2012 - 08:12 PM.

Posted Image

#23 DJ Kreuzberg

DJ Kreuzberg

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:29 AM

Disagree. It wasn't on ice work ethic at all.

It was his skating, mobility and adapting to the speed of the game. He simply got left behind, literally.

Last season, he wouldn't be in the puck battles because he couldn't get there fast enough before the puck was moved. The effort, you can see is there. He would attempt to throw the body around quite a few times, but would get there a fraction of a second late and hit the boards instead. He wasn't making smart decisions quick enough and simply wasn't contributing enough to the top 6 or bottom 6. That is why he was sent down, not because he is lazy on the ice.

This season, who knows. The preseason wasn't on radio, wasn't on TV, only people who showed up got to watch. If anyone has seen him in those 2 games, i'd like to hear it.

Edited by DJ Kreuzberg, 11 October 2012 - 12:30 AM.

#24 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,048 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:35 AM

Disagree. It wasn't on ice work ethic at all.

It was his skating, mobility and adapting to the speed of the game. He simply got left behind, literally.

Last season, he wouldn't be in the puck battles because he couldn't get there fast enough before the puck was moved. The effort, you can see is there. He would attempt to throw the body around quite a few times, but would get there a fraction of a second late and hit the boards instead. He wasn't making smart decisions quick enough and simply wasn't contributing enough to the top 6 or bottom 6. That is why he was sent down, not because he is lazy on the ice.

This season, who knows. The preseason wasn't on radio, wasn't on TV, only people who showed up got to watch. If anyone has seen him in those 2 games, i'd like to hear it.

Well I've watched him play in the OHL many times, and his skating was fine. He was able to keep up with alot of the faster players.

So it either comes down to fitness, which some have claimed is not a problem. Or it comes down to work ethic. If he had the work ethic, he would have stayed on the team. Because you don't send a guy of his size and skill down if he's working hard and looking like he'll improve.

Hopefully he'll be able to adjust to the faster pace and come back a better player.

Edited by DeNiro, 11 October 2012 - 12:36 AM.

Posted Image

#25 DJ Kreuzberg

DJ Kreuzberg

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:21 AM

Well I've watched him play in the OHL many times, and his skating was fine. He was able to keep up with alot of the faster players.

So it either comes down to fitness, which some have claimed is not a problem. Or it comes down to work ethic. If he had the work ethic, he would have stayed on the team. Because you don't send a guy of his size and skill down if he's working hard and looking like he'll improve.

Hopefully he'll be able to adjust to the faster pace and come back a better player.

I too watched him in the OHL as well. His skating was fine for a junior league, but it stood out as a major drawback in the AHL where i watched every one of his AHL games last season. It was a major issue, which was why i was excited to see him this season with the Wolves to see if it improved. Doesn't look like i'll get that chance yet.

He is a fit guy, ripped even when you see him in pictures this preseason. It isn't fitness and from what i've seen of him on ice, it isn't work ethic.

We just sent down a guy in Polasek who has size, skill, and a year of AHL experience to the ECHL. The way he left off last season, he was looking very much like an AHL calibre Dman, at the very least. But the way things are due to the lockout, he got sent down. It's just the way things are this season.

Edited by DJ Kreuzberg, 11 October 2012 - 01:34 AM.

#26 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,580 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:27 AM

I've got to agree with DJK, it's a case of too many players, not enough spots, and the canucks wanting him to get playing time until the lockout ends and he comes back up, just like polasek.

#27 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,339 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:14 AM

I think the key is Mallet and Friesen are centres --- which is a weak spot for the Wolves
Posted Image

#28 R4ff

R4ff

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:59 AM

Archibald had 1 goal and was a +3 in the kwings opener win 4-1 vs Fort Wayne. Polasek had an assist, Prab Rai had the first goal of the game and Cannata didn't start for some reason..

It's weird seeing many of our prospects in the ECHL. I'm guessing that all AHL teams had huge training camp rosters this year, so both leagues are going to be very competitive. For example, Eberle in AHL, Dubinsky in ECHL. What a nightmare for other teams!
Ben Hutton Sig

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.