Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Harper Prepares to Hand the Keys to the Vault Over to China (merged)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
52 replies to this topic

#31 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,493 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:06 PM

<p>In just two weeks, Prime Minister Harper could pass the most massive corporate power handover in Canadian history.

FIPA, the Canada-China Foreign Investment Protection Agreement, could give foreign corporations sweeping powers to sue Canadian governments for implementing environmental protections on the tar sands, or for stopping the proposed Enbridge Northern Gateway pipeline and other projects like it. And worse, these lawsuits would happen in secret.

Prime Minister Harper has arranged for FIPA to pass automatically on October 31, without a single vote or debate in Parliament...

http://www.leadnow.c...ot-for-sale-sou

Edited by nucklehead, 16 October 2012 - 10:07 PM.

biggerabacus_zps5cae10b6.jpg

I got kicked out of the slut walk for trying to bid on the participants.

-BananaMash

#32 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,071 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:09 PM

I for one welcome our oriental overlords.
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#33 Cromeslab

Cromeslab

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:10 PM

Why don"t we all just bend over and let the rest of the world have their way with us
Seems to work for our PM

Edited by Cromeslab, 16 October 2012 - 10:12 PM.

Posted Image

"Where you've been is good and gone,all you can keep is the gettin there"Townes Van Zandt

#34 morrissex95

morrissex95

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:35 PM

He's diversifying our export portfolio by increasing ties to China and opening us up to more trade with friends of China(Essentially, African nations with energy/material resources and North Korea. Pick your poison.)

Canada's economy will join the largest in the world if we open up our trade routes with China. As American military power begins to wane over the next couple of decades, we'll have to be more self-reliant. Expect our Navy, Airforce and Intelligence apparatus to become much larger under the next Canadian government.

As the economies of Alberta, Saskatchewan and BC begin to swell, expect yet another wave of immigrants coming from the Arab World(Iraq, Syria, Egypt, Tunisia, etc.) and Europe(Greece, Ireland, Russia, Belarus, etc.) to reshape our cultural norms.

Get with the times, man. If you'd watched the American Presidential Debates, you'd realize that China has brought the USA to its knees. It pains me to say that, but it's the truth. The future is in Asia, Russia and Europe. If we want to be part of the future, we need to start bringing in money and trading with countries that are important to us. China is the next superpower, whether you like it or not.
Posted Image

#35 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,493 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:07 PM

And this justifies giving them carte blanche and free bumfrack, mapleleaf style. I don't know about you but I want a leader that's willing to go down guns blazing.Oh, and please explain how Europe=next economic powerhouse.

Edited by nucklehead, 16 October 2012 - 11:10 PM.

-BananaMash

#36 Hyzer

Hyzer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:24 PM

He's diversifying our export portfolio by increasing ties to China and opening us up to more trade with friends of China(Essentially, African nations with energy/material resources and North Korea. Pick your poison.)

Canada's economy will join the largest in the world if we open up our trade routes with China. As American military power begins to wane over the next couple of decades, we'll have to be more self-reliant. Expect our Navy, Airforce and Intelligence apparatus to become much larger under the next Canadian government.

As the economies of Alberta, Saskatchewan and BC begin to swell, expect yet another wave of immigrants coming from the Arab World(Iraq, Syria, Egypt, Tunisia, etc.) and Europe(Greece, Ireland, Russia, Belarus, etc.) to reshape our cultural norms.

Get with the times, man. If you'd watched the American Presidential Debates, you'd realize that China has brought the USA to its knees. It pains me to say that, but it's the truth. The future is in Asia, Russia and Europe. If we want to be part of the future, we need to start bringing in money and trading with countries that are important to us. China is the next superpower, whether you like it or not.

Why yes, we should most definitely allow another country to directly influence our sovereign nation's oil reservoirs in order to bring money in while concurrently raping our pristine landscape. That sounds like a good plan.

Edited by Hyzer, 16 October 2012 - 11:27 PM.

#37 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:24 PM

China's Global Domination Strategy:

Step 1: Print unlimited amount of Yuan

Step 2: Buy world
Posted Image

#38 Hyzer

Hyzer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:26 PM

And this justifies giving them carte blanche and free bumfrack, mapleleaf style. I don't know about you but I want a leader that's willing to go down guns blazing.Oh, and please explain how Europe=next economic powerhouse.

Don't worry. I'm sure Greece, Spain and Italy will usurp power from the Chinese and Russians, and then rule the world. That sounds very plausible.

#39 woot

woot

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:31 PM

http://www.leadnow.c...ot-for-sale-sou

That webpage looks fair and balanced...

#40 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,736 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:36 PM

..because leadnow.ca is the beacon of truth. Let me know how Woodworth's motion went.

As for the content itself, let's just keep our ties with the failing USA and the Nobel Peace Prize-winning European Union. Screw Asia and its 2.7+ billion citizens whom Canada can engage in trade with.

#41 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:30 AM

Caught wind of this during the attempted emergency debate. I can't believe Harper views this as a viable policy towards growth. It essentially gives foreign companies sovereignty over Canadian natural resource deposits. I don't care where the article is from, facts are facts. God damn why couldn't you people just vote Ignatieff?

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#42 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,493 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:59 AM

The issue isn't really trade with China, it's about Harpers attempt to sneak this behind our backs(again) without debate. The agreement itself is highly unpalitable. If you feel this is in the best interest of Canada and the means justifies the end then carry on. If you think it's important to keep tabs on our elected officials, hold them to account and some semblance of conducting our affairs democratically then by all means speak out.

-BananaMash

#43 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,895 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:32 AM

Because our nation is founded on the democratic principle of ....

Money Talks.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#44 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,405 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:46 AM

Freaking disgusting. Once again I'd like to thank my fellow Canadians for both voting this jackarse in and/or not bothering to vote against him at all...

Canada, I'm going to miss you.
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#45 The Wizard of AZ

The Wizard of AZ

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:54 AM

And I thought calling B.C. "Becoming Chinese" was just a joke.

Posted Image

#46 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,534 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:00 AM

Well if this 'omg China!' hullabaloo gets him out the office, i'm all for that...
Posted Image

#47 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 16,405 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:39 AM

How does free postage thing work anyway? Just pop the letter in the mail and they know to charge the MP office or something...?
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#48 jmfaminoff

jmfaminoff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,831 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:40 PM

China is doing this all over the world. Similar to how Dubai Ports has dominated the port business.

I am laughing at all the people back home who say they love Obama, but decry this sale to China. Obama's administration banned the pipeline down to Texas. If that pipeline was allowed to have been built, then this would have never happened. Nexen would have never had the incentive to sell to the Chinese, nor would the Prime Minister have agreed.

#49 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 16,405 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:45 PM

China is doing this all over the world. Similar to how Dubai Ports has dominated the port business.

I am laughing at all the people back home who say they love Obama, but decry this sale to China. Obama's administration banned the pipeline down to Texas. If that pipeline was allowed to have been built, then this would have never happened. Nexen would have never had the incentive to sell to the Chinese, nor would the Prime Minister have agreed.

There's more than two answers to that question.
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#50 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,244 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:57 PM

Caught wind of this during the attempted emergency debate. I can't believe Harper views this as a viable policy towards growth. It essentially gives foreign companies sovereignty over Canadian natural resource deposits. I don't care where the article is from, facts are facts. God damn why couldn't you people just vote Ignatieff?

Good grief. The existing foreign companies don't hold sovereignty over Canadian natural resource deposits and neither will they.

#51 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,244 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:58 PM

Because our nation is founded on the democratic principle of ....

Money Talks.

That's what every society in the world is built on.

#52 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,244 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:01 PM

Build all three oil pipelines, and the refinery, and the natural gas and LNG plant, and Site C, and a large garbage incinerator in the lower mainland?

Oooh, while we're at it, use all that money to lower taxes so that we can afford to raise interest rates and drive the dollar high enough that we're the ones buying everyone else instead of the other way around? Pay off the debt and put enough away to build up a giant Norweigan style "we own the world" soveriegn wealth fund?

#53 jmfaminoff

jmfaminoff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,831 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:11 PM

I love the beauty of South Florida. However, China has partnered with Cuba to drill in the Florida Straits. That scares a lot of people. The Chinese idea of environmental protection could make the BP incident look like a puddle.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.