#2401 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,646 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:29 PM

NO RESOLUTION PLEASE,

my liver just figured out we're not drinking every second day this winter.

Classic!
Jeez the NHL goes back to work and the Canucks trade Lou. CDC will be decimated!
It was getting so bad I was counting how many times in a game that Kassian was picking his nose!

#2402 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,509 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:09 PM

Classic!
Jeez the NHL goes back to work and the Canucks trade Lou. CDC will be decimated!
It was getting so bad I was counting how many times in a game that Kassian was picking his nose!

Cody never picked his nose! Nooooo...we lost the trade!
Posted Image

#2403 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,391 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:38 PM

The make whole provision was always just a bargaining chip for the owners. They could have never got away with trying to cut guys salaries.

Well if they are the one's who are actually making whole, and not the players then it could work out, No?

zackass.png

#2404 stexx

stexx

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:53 PM

well the meeting is about 3.5 hours in and bettman hasnt thrown them out yet, so i guess that is a good sign

#2405 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64,784 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:11 PM

@BroadStBull
The owners had offered $200M in rev. sharing before today; the players had wanted $250M.
Posted Image

#2406 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,668 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:33 PM

We need a drinking game based around nose picking. Drink when you see a pick, chug a whole beer for a farmers blow.

#2407 marleau_12

marleau_12

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,286 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:46 PM

Most people, form what I gather, were predicting the season would start around december. Seems to me like that would be the base.

Most likley, will still get 66-68 games. Not bad I guess. I usally get bored around the 68 game mark any ways.

This time you'll get bored around the 54 game mark.
Posted Image

#2408 forever_hope

forever_hope

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:11 PM

Meeting is over, and will continue tomorrow. Apparently all of yesterday and most of today was spent on revenue sharing alone. A lot of work still needs to be done, especially on the "make-whole" concept but we really have reason to be optimistic right?
Posted Image

#2409 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,668 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:28 PM

Absolutely we have reason to be optimistic. Somebody, most likely NBC, has lit a fire under Bettman's ass to get a deal done.

There was also an article I read today where a spokesman from Molson was quoted as saying that after the lockout, they'll be taking the NHL to court to recoup financial losses. If they're successful I imagine other sponsors will try the same.

#2410 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,342 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:32 PM

Absolutely we have reason to be optimistic. Somebody, most likely NBC, has lit a fire under Bettman's ass to get a deal done.

There was also an article I read today where a spokesman from Molson was quoted as saying that after the lockout, they'll be taking the NHL to court to recoup financial losses. If they're successful I imagine other sponsors will try the same.

They have no grounds to sue the NHL.

It's probably just the Montreal owner trying to put pressure on the league through other avenues.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#2411 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,668 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:39 PM

Yeah sorry, took me a few minutes to find the article again, I was wrong on the going-to-court part. Here's the relevant quote:

"Whether it's people not actually physically going to the venues and consuming there, consuming in venues around the outlet before that, or indeed having NHL sort of parties at home, all of those occasions have disappeared off the map and you just can't replicate them," CEO Peter Swinburn said in an interview Wednesday.
The impact is more pronounced in Canada than in the United States and has particularly hurt sales of Coors Light and Molson Canadian.
"It's a national sport, the whole of Canada is glued to it one way or another so there's no real regional difference at the moment that we can detect."
Swinburn said that once the lockout ends, Molson Coors will seek financial compensation from the league over the negative impact that a lack of games has had on the hockey league sponsor.
"There will be some redress for us as a result of this. I can't quantify that and I don't know because I don't know the scale of how long the lockout is going to last."

http://www.montrealg...l#ixzz2Bawb9mow

#2412 greenbean30

greenbean30

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:18 PM

Lp

#2413 stexx

stexx

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:44 PM

They have no grounds to sue the NHL.

It's probably just the Montreal owner trying to put pressure on the league through other avenues.

you are right, they cant sue. but most sponsorship deals have clauses in them to financially recoup the sponsor in case of an event being cancelled which in this case molsons is entitled to either cash or an extension in their sponsorship deal.

NBC has a sliding clause in their contract with the NHL that if the lockout persists the entire year they will get an additional year of TV rights but they must pay this year regardless which will p|ss them off to no end.

#2414 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 64,784 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:57 PM

@theScore: After two long days of meetings, NHL CBA negotiations will continue on Thursday: http://t.co/D1crHmvG
Posted Image

#2415 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,765 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:06 PM

^^ yay! sounds like they could get a deal done by this weekend with all these meetings.

#2416 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,075 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:48 PM

Not sure if posted yet:

Adam Proteau@Proteautype

As @NYP_Brooksie reports, amnesty buyouts are now on the negotiating table at NHL labor talks. This has been rumored to be coming for years.

Could be interesting, esp for a team like the Flyers who have lots of $$ and Bryz on the books. Wonder if they'd use it on him, then join the Luongo sweepstakes?

Does anyone remember the details from last lockout re the amnesty clause? Was it a 1 time 100% reimbursement?

Edited by RunningWild, 07 November 2012 - 11:50 PM.

#2417 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:54 AM

I like the idea of an amnesty buyout, and I'm all for the players. I highly doubt the players will accept it, but this would easily create higher profit margins when millions aren't lost to guys like Redden, Gomez, Dipietro, even Bryz. You want to cut costs, cut the guys that are significantly under performing.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#2418 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,668 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:04 AM

This was a fun article from The Score back in September, trying to predict which player each team would choose to sacrifice to the amnesty clause:

http://blogs.thescor...y-clause-exist/

For those curious, they have Ballard for the Canucks. Be sure to check out the entries for Phoenix and Winnipeg for some lulz.

Personally I don't think the Canucks would use it on any current player, but since they have money, I could see them taking a bad contract back from a team that has several in a big trade.

Edited by The Bookie, 08 November 2012 - 03:05 AM.

#2419 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:10 AM

^ we've got to pay for Burrows and Edler's new deals some how. That money HAS to come from Ballard/Malholtra.

2d7ye0p.jpg

#2420 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,668 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:15 AM

Yeah but they don't need to buyout Ballard. I'ts a bad contract on this team but still fully tradeable. There are teams desperate for defensemen.

Isn't Malhotra's contract up this year? I don't even know if he'll play again after that, I'm secretly hoping he retires and takes on a coaching or scouting role with the Canucks.

#2421 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,075 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:39 AM

This was a fun article from The Score back in September, trying to predict which player each team would choose to sacrifice to the amnesty clause:

http://blogs.thescor...y-clause-exist/

For those curious, they have Ballard for the Canucks. Be sure to check out the entries for Phoenix and Winnipeg for some lulz.

Personally I don't think the Canucks would use it on any current player, but since they have money, I could see them taking a bad contract back from a team that has several in a big trade.

That's a good point. According to Dreger, that's the sticking point in negotiations between Fla/Van. They need to send $$ back, but Van doesn't want to eat up cap space w/ bad contract. I wonder if an amnesty clause could apply to players coming via trade? Did that happen after last CBA?

#2422 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 64,784 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:07 PM

@reporterchris: I'm told the NHLPA made offers yesterday on both revenue sharing and players' share/make whole. They expect a response from NHL today.
Posted Image

#2423 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 64,784 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:09 PM

@RobRossi_Trib: #nhlpa made 2 offers Wednesday
Posted Image

#2424 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:12 PM

Oh man, I'm trying to prevent myself from being excited but it's hard. Extremely optimistic about 3 days straight of lengthy talks, plus last weekend. Everyone wanted to lock Bettman/Fehr in a room and see what happens, this is about as close as this gets.

2d7ye0p.jpg

#2425 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:22 PM

still not excited...........

:bored:
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#2426 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:27 PM

There will be the current salary cap 64mil or 70 mil

There will be a 50/50 split on revenue.once the cap reaches 50%

These things were always certain right from the get go.

I have always been hoping for the 5 year max on contracts moving forward . Make it easier to send players down. If they do get a buyout amnesty, that will also be a major coup for the Owners.

But i doubt it. The 5 year max contracts will take care of most of it.
Posted Image

#2427 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,432 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:43 PM

There's a lot of speculation at the moment that the PA is asking for too much, so don't get too excited yet. Both Owners and PA don't seem to be willing to change their stance at the key issues but least they're still talking at the moment..

Michael Russo ‏@Russostrib

NHL believed PA would go to 50/50 & negotiate "Make Whole." NHLPA instead again countered w proposal that gradually goes to 50/50. Today=big

Edited by Rey, 08 November 2012 - 01:53 PM.

#2428 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:53 PM

I think if the PA would be wise to take the 50/50 , keeping the cap the same but giving other concessions to the owners.
Posted Image

#2429 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:54 PM

I think if the PA would be wise to take the 50/50 , keeping the cap the same but giving other concessions to the owners.
Posted Image

#2430 goalie13

goalie13

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,882 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:16 PM

How would they do that? The cap is a percentage of the revenue. If revenues stay the same, and you go from 57% to 50%, the cap has to go down.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.