The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*Official* CBA Negotiations and Lockout Thread

Owner's offered a 50-50 split deal which would have allowed players to retain their contracts, they just wanted other clauses ie. 5 year max, 28 year UFA etc.Players counter with 1st year 57-43, and then slowly moving towards but never reaching 50-50 in year 5.Hmmm. In the 94 lockout the players had all the fans and PR support, and still lost badly. This year dareisay the owners have more support, believe me the players are going to lose this one if they try to hardball their way around owners who are losing money.

Actually, they're risking their livelihood every time they step on the ice.  Not to mention the inherent risk in devoting your life to training for such a select and competitive career.

Meanwhile, the owners have literally zero risk.  An annual operating loss of ten million means absolutely nothing to these guys, and they make the money back when they sell the franchise, anyways.

The players have 1000x more risk than the owners.

Then you misunderstood the owners offer. They never did offer 50/50, they just said they did. The owners have not submitted a single proposal that ensured that they would pay the signed contracts. Their last offer ensured that the lower end players would sacrifice so that those contracts, signed only weeks ago, would be honoured. This was done solely to drive a wedge in the players between the stars and the yeoman.

That's your opinion, I'm entitled to mine. A lot of different occupations risk their health every day for a lot less compensation. And it does mean something to the owners, most of them retain their franchise to make a profit, that's their business. If they're losing any money at all through income or failure to generate gains on their franchise their business is considered a failure for that year. Plus, consider the fact that a lot of these franchises are worth hundreds of millions of dollars. If that money was simply invested in another venture it could easily be generating 5-6% returns with very little risk, so on top of the 10 million dollar operating loss you also have a 20M opportuniy loss. Not as simple as is seems.

That's your opinion, I'm entitled to mine. A lot of different occupations risk their health every day for a lot less compensation. And it does mean something to the owners, most of them retain their franchise to make a profit, that's their business. If they're losing any money at all through income or failure to generate gains on their franchise their business is considered a failure for that year. Plus, consider the fact that a lot of these franchises are worth hundreds of millions of dollars. If that money was simply invested in another venture it could easily be generating 5-6% returns with very little risk, so on top of the 10 million dollar operating loss you also have a 20M opportuniy loss. Not as simple as is seems.

WHL Rocks, I literally have no idea where you're coming from. You seem to pick and choose your observations in a way that even the NHL owners can't. They put forth proposals knowing that they can compromise comfortably. But when you see that same proposal (even back in August), you go "This is a totally fair deal!" It's one thing to act like your semi-serious proposal is serious, that's part of negotiations, and they have a vested interest in doing so.

I can only assume that you have a vested interest in parroting what they say, and I give you credit enough to not believe all of what you say because you're smart enough to post your talking points then are nowhere to be seen when those points are disputed. So what's your angle?

It's also tough to sympathize with the business owner who locked the door on it's employees. They are making no money due to their choice. This isn't a strike. The employees did not walk off the job. The NHL and NHLPA may have had an opportunity to bargain in good faith and still have a season but the owners drew the line in the sand and now they can shoulder all the 'economic hardship' they are in. The players are free to work other jobs too so it's not like they are incapable of replacing their lost paychecks.

Archived