The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*Official* CBA Negotiations and Lockout Thread

Well, the answer SHOULD be obvious, but apparently the NHPLA doesn't understand basic math.

Also, let's say you're an NHL player and you have no more than six years left in your playing career. You have a choice: [A] Take a 12% haircut on your current salary but play for six years or Lose a full year's salary and forego AT LEAST 17% of the rest of your professional hockey income that you'll ever make? I say "AT LEAST" because that assumes that after a lost season they go right back to getting 57% of league revenue (which is NOT going to happen). So, that player is more likely to lose 20%-25% of the rest of his career's income by losing a full season.

Do players understand BASIC math?

Yes, sure, mathematically, you're correct. But this is just more evidence that the PA is worried about future generations - not greed. They are concerned with not just bending over and taking it from the owners, because, as I alluded to, it'll just keep happening again, and again, and again.

i dont know how the players can look themselves in the mirror when they say "we dont see why the nhl needs a salary reduction".

gee maybe look at how many franchises are in financial trouble?

new jersey

dallas

phoenix

Sanjose (has never made money despite its attendance)

LA (same as sanjose)

anaheim

carolina

colombus

florida

tampa bay

colorado (not quite yet but they are drawing significantly less fans than 5 years ago)

st louis (maybe not after last year but they were every other year not sure on them)

buffalo (was in serious trouble until an idiot with a wad of money bought them)

^

that is 13 teams i listed above that are/were in financial trouble at some point over the last 3 years that is 43% of the franchises. Right now this league is being carried by the strong canadian dollar, that could EASILY reverse in the next 5 years.

the players are totally out to lunch on the state of the league and just cling to their 3.3billion dollar revenue number.

Because there is such a strong emotional element in the players' position, as opposed to that position being driven by rationality, if I were the league I would agree to a hard cap of 56% for year one, 55% for year two, etc. until we get to 50-50 and I would want a ten-year contract. That would help alleviate the issue about current contracts and make the specter of losing a full season look positively stupid from a player's perspective.

Because there is such a strong emotional element in the players' position, as opposed to that position being driven by rationality, if I were the league I would agree to a hard cap of 56% for year one, 55% for year two, etc. until we get to 50-50 and I would want a ten-year contract. That would help alleviate the issue about current contracts and make the specter of losing a full season look positively stupid from a player's perspective.

The players are functioning on principle.  Some are already saying that they rather play for the KHL for less because they are tired of the NHL's shenanigans. Based on this premise, yes I do believe that players would choose to not play for the NHL again; however, should another league be created, they may jump on that opportunity, and the fans just may opt to watch their old hockey heroes playing in this new league. Fans come to watch their favourite players and not because of loyalty to the owners/league/team...even the Canucks lost fans when the team was dismantled.

Look, I don't have much sympathy for either the owners or the players in this dispute. But, if a player in the latter stretch of his career looks at this in a bottom-line (as opposed to an emotional) manner, the choice is pretty obvious.

The players are functioning on principle. Some are already saying that they rather play for the KHL for less because they are tired of the NHL's shenanigans. Based on this premise, yes I do believe that players would choose to not play for the NHL again; however, should another league be created, they may jump on that opportunity, and the fans just may opt to watch their old hockey heroes playing in this new league. Fans come to watch their favourite players and not because of loyalty to the owners/league/team...even the Canucks lost fans when the team was dismantled.

Again...without the fans/players...there is no revenue stream. Players can organize their own games...there are numerous other arenas they can play at...tix at $20 to watch NHL caliber players compared to watching AHL players at $50 combined with bad PR (the new NHL), I think the fans will be drawn to the players games. The players/fans can do without the NHL...whereas the NHL cannot do without the fans/talent. TBH, I'd be down/fine with folding this whole league and starting all over again..but having a team with our current roster of course in a new league.

Archived