The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Leafs Bozak Takes Heat for "Blackface" Halloween Costume

71 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Bozak's blackface Twitter pic sparks online rage

QMI AGENCY

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 1:08:27 EDT AM

1297332403685_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&size=650x&stmp=1351659555675

Toronto Maple Leafs' Tyler Bozak might have some explaining to do after he tweeted a questionable Halloween costume late Tuesday night.

Blame the NHL’s labour woes – as well as poor judgment.

Had it not been for the current lockout, Toronto Maple Leafs centre Tyler Bozak might have been resting – maybe celebrating – after meeting the Anaheim Ducks at the Air Canada Centre Tuesday night.

Instead, the 26-year-old from Regina, Sask., became the subject of heated social media talk after a tweet from his personal Twitter account appeared to show a picture of himself in blackface, posing as former pop star Michael Jackson while grabbing himself.

Although he promptly removed the tweet the photo was captured by a number of followers, who prominently displayed the image for all to see, leading Bozak to comment on the accompanying backlash that ensued.

“That's a tribute to one of my fave artists,” Bozak tweeted. “For anyone saying its racist is crazy!”

Bozak must not have been paying attention last Halloween when a tweet from Phoenix Coyotes enforcer Paul Bissonnette attracted loads of publicity after it showed teammate Raffi Torres in blackface at a team party.

Dressed as Jay-Z and the rapper’s wife, Beyonce Knowles, Torres and his wife dealt with significant backlash following the matter.

Blackface is a style of makeup used for imitating a black person. It has a history of being used in forms of entertainment based on racist stereotypes.

In three season with the Leafs Bozak has 106 points in 192 games. He agreed to a two-year extension with Toronto last summer.

Dear Tyler,

I don't care if you darken your face for Hall'o'ween.

However, you are an adult now and earn $1.5 million dollars a year therefore it is time to... I don't know... buy some furniture and paintings. You know, 'decor.' How a man keeps his home says a lot about him.

Yours truly,

theminister

PS I hope the reason your house looks empty is not because you are being traded for Luongo.

What a joke

The double standard these days is ridiculous, has anyone seen Dave chappelle's "white news' he has white face paint, everyone laughs, including me cause I love DC, but when a white guy does it OMG THE HORROR, he so racist

GTFO its all in fun, its not like he dressed as a clan member...

Archived