Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Could have been Henrik's day

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 bure's triple deke

bure's triple deke

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:06 PM

http://burestripledeke.blogspot.ca/2012/10/could-have-been-henriks-day.html

Could have been Henrik's day

Several weeks ago, The Province'sfeature sports story depressingly reminded Vancouver that October 11 "Could have been Schneider's day". It would have marked the Canucks' 2012-13 season opener against the Flames and, consequently, Schneider's official christening as Vancouver's new and endless scapegoat undisputed starter.

Fast forward later in the month and yesterday marks what would have been Vancouver's tenth game of the regular season. Preparing for a matchup against the Detroit Red Wings, our theories by now would have been confirmed as to whether or not the Canucks' lacklustre Octobers have been entirely Luongo's fault all these years. But in the grander scheme of Canucks hockey lore, the city would most likely be focused on something far more significant.

At 747 points in 892 games, Henrik Sedin currently stands nine points behind Markus Naslund for the Canucks' all-time lead. Assuming he and Daniel's near-robotic point-a-game pace, Henrik would have hypothetically broken Naslund's record yesterday with his 10th point in the 10th game of the season and 757th all-time. Would have happened at Rogers Arena on national television to boot. Maybe a one-timer to Jason Garrison? Probably a tap-in to Burrows.

Realistically, you give or take a couple games for Henrik to pass Naslund in this scenario. Point is, in this now-cancelled stage in the season, we would either be celebrating or anticipating something truly great. And within another three months or so, Daniel, too, would be within reach of his former captain, statistically solidifying the twins as the Canucks' best players in team history.

Cue the standing ovations. The headlines. The city's love affair with the Sedins and, by extension, the game of hockey as a whole.

Moments such as the Sedins' pending milestones have that rare capacity to capture a city's brief attention and a rabid fan's entire consciousness. They turn even the most jaded Canucks followers rosy-eyed for but a few moments – about the length of a pre-game ceremony or a well-produced YouTube montage.

But with this feel-good storyline delayed – reduced in the present time to a mere hypothetical – Canucks fans can add it to the increasing pile of reasons to curse the league's powers-that-be. As exciting as the displaced-NHLer-makes-news-in Europe routine can be these days, yesterday was ultimately for Bettman and Fehr to continue hogging the league's dulling spotlight. Shame to imagine that the day could have been Henrik's.

-HC

#2 Stick-in-Rink

Stick-in-Rink

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,575 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:17 PM

Wow I just envisioned all of that in my head......... and now I am sad :(

#3 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:18 PM

Hopefully the lockout ends in time for him to get his 10th point of the season vs Chicago.

While Keith is on the ice.

face first unconscious.

#4 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,470 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:35 PM

I didn't even think about missing out on that. I'll have to wait another whole year at least before it'll happen :sadno:

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

small.png CDC Puck - New York Rangers

#5 Wheels22

Wheels22

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:37 PM

It will still happen soon, and Daniel will be second soon too

#6 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,863 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:50 PM

meh, there's more to life than NHL hockey. Kinda happy I haven't had to watch the farce of a product the NHL has been producing the last few years.

qrak1x.jpg

#7 TACIC

TACIC

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,455 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:53 PM

It's been a interesting year though, gotta get some hockey on though.
AUmxe4h.gif
Credit to JimLahey for this awesome sig

TACIC

Yes i am a Leafs fan too, DEAL WITH IT!!

Go Canucks Go!

#8 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,893 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:56 PM

meh, there's more to life than NHL hockey. .

No there isn't.

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Nobody breaks from Mafia... Mafia breaks YOU!

CDCEHL - Winnipeg Jets AGM

#9 TACIC

TACIC

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,455 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:01 PM

No there isn't.

well there is but it's three things.

1.Going to school and talking/thinking about hockey
2.Playing hockey
3.NHL 13
AUmxe4h.gif
Credit to JimLahey for this awesome sig

TACIC

Yes i am a Leafs fan too, DEAL WITH IT!!

Go Canucks Go!

#10 Derp...

Derp...

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,456 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:02 PM

OH NO! THE RECORD! CLEARLY THOSE 10 points coming earlier are more important than winning a stanley cup in a shortened season. That's what we will do unless Bootman doesn't get the boot from the owners after they lose 0.001%* of their overall income which they are fighting over...

*(all figures are approximations based on the math from Good Will Hunting and calculated by a real world janitor)
Cassels

#11 Wheels22

Wheels22

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:17 PM

meh, there's more to life than NHL hockey. Kinda happy I haven't had to watch the farce of a product the NHL has been producing the last few years.

It's true, sorta.. The NHL is a pretty big joke now.

#12 Alchemy Time

Alchemy Time

State Alchemist

• Members
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:26 PM

It's true, sorta.. The NHL is a pretty big joke now.

Be thankful it isn't the NBA or MLB, where two or three teams get all the good players.
Posted Image

#13 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:06 PM

depressing

your a slimy rat gary
Posted Image

#14 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,863 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:08 PM

well there is but it's three things.

1.Going to school and talking/thinking about hockey
2.Playing hockey
3.NHL 13

Or you can go to local minor league games for a fraction of the price.

Go to Heat or Giants games. You want to see players play their asses off, check out a couple Surrey Eagles, or Langley Rivermen games.

qrak1x.jpg

#15 canucksnhl

canucksnhl

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:21 PM

Henrik could have gotten the scoring title 4-5 games in. A couple 3 point games and a couple 2 point games. Nothing out of the norm.

2yn1i1f.jpg

#16 JohnLocke

JohnLocke

Cnakcus Ruegalr

• Members
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:30 PM

It's been a interesting year though, gotta get some hockey on though.

You're still alive?! What the hell man?!

Posted Image

... But in all seriousness... welcome back?

jack-shephard_79434_14.jpg?cache=1292832

#17 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,936 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:36 PM

These records may matter within the annals of the team's history but of course these personal records would not be at the top of these team-centered guys' lists. For them I think they would appreciate this being the Canucks' day at the end of June even more, even if for some reason they don't achieve these personal milestones.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#18 coastal1

coastal1

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:53 PM

Be thankful it isn't the NBA or MLB, where two or three teams get all the good players.

Exactly, the NBA, MLB, now those are jokes. The NHL is doing just fine and soon the players will have lost what they tried to avoid (loosing salary) and will overrule Fehr and get back to playing.

#19 Kesler's Nose

Kesler's Nose

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:38 PM

Way to make us feel worse... You meanie! :sadno:

"It's an opportunity, we don't look at it as a last chance... We look at it as an opportunity to do something great. We are going to take it period by period, shift by shift. You just have to be better than the guy across from you... Every guy in this locker room I can say believes we can do this." - Ryan Kesler

Posted Image

#20 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,572 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:49 PM

2 lockouts in their careers. The Sedins (and so many of the leagues other elite players) are missing out on a chance to make history. Their career numbers could be up to 200 points lower than they would have been (assuming this entire season is lost, and assuming they would have had 100 point seasons).
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#21 wattevr

wattevr

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:27 PM

Bettmans a weasel lawyer, don fehr got beat up in high school. The two have a welterweight match in the ring due and the title is a outdoor classic game. I hate the leafs, and dislike the wings. But I want to see an outdoor game with over 100K LOYAL fans there.

This isn't chess. This is 30 business men vs 800 other business men trying to share 3.3 billion dollars. I wish I mattered here cause they just say alright this sucker is gonna give us 100 a game on average and let's divvie it up. Otherwise there's nothing. But there are 100 other suckers willing to pay as much or more.

Please let this be the trigger that folds 4 bad American markets.
Walter... Why's it always gotta be about 'Nam.

F@$K it. Lets go bowling.

#22 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,167 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:32 PM

Wow I just envisioned all of that in my head......... and now I am sad :(

Me too :( I had all sorts of different calls going through my head.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#23 coastal1

coastal1

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:34 AM

Bettmans a weasel lawyer, don fehr got beat up in high school. The two have a welterweight match in the ring due and the title is a outdoor classic game. I hate the leafs, and dislike the wings. But I want to see an outdoor game with over 100K LOYAL fans there.

This isn't chess. This is 30 business men vs 800 other business men trying to share 3.3 billion dollars. I wish I mattered here cause they just say alright this sucker is gonna give us 100 a game on average and let's divvie it up. Otherwise there's nothing. But there are 100 other suckers willing to pay as much or more.

Please let this be the trigger that folds 4 bad American markets.

It's the other way around. This is all about making sure no team folds. The players want this to happen through better revenue sharing, th owners want it to happen through lower slaries. It will happen through lower salaries, obviously, and that will take care of those bad markets.

#24 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,254 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:09 AM

This makes J.R.'s sig ANGRY :angry:
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#25 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:44 PM

Makes me sad.
Posted Image

#26 Strawberries

Strawberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:32 PM

me sad
Posted Image

#27 Slegr

Slegr

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:07 PM

It's only a matter of time before this achievement is reached. It'll be a great day for the Sedins and for the Canucks when it does.
"I knew we had a great team. I told everyone if we play as a group, we can win it all. Everyone laughed. Now we're laughing."
-Jiri Slegr

#28 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,769 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:57 AM

It is going to happen sooner hopefully rather than later. The Sedins will be the all time points leaders in Canucks history & I cannot wait for that day.

#29 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,934 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:11 AM

2 lockouts in their careers. The Sedins (and so many of the leagues other elite players) are missing out on a chance to make history. Their career numbers could be up to 200 points lower than they would have been (assuming this entire season is lost, and assuming they would have had 100 point seasons).

Good point.

The 04-05 lockout would have taken a dump all over Naslund's chances of breaking 500 goals had he continued to play until he was 38. Assuming he got 30 goals in 04-05, which isn't unrealistic by any means considering 35 and 32 the year before and the year after. Followed up by three seasons of at least 25, which I think is realistic of him, he had 500.

Okay, well, let's talk about players relevant in the NHL still; Selanne: This guy has endured THREE lockouts. Assuming no major injuries, if it was not for those three lockouts, this guy is pushing nearly 1600 points and already has over 700 goals. From a NHL history statistical point of view this guy is taking a huge blow.

Same with Jagr: Jaromir has also endured three lockouts. If it was not for these three lockouts and assuming no major injuries, Jagr has over 700 goals and nearly 1800 points ranking him #4, maybe third, all time in NHL scoring. Instead he's 8th and he's probably going to finish there. (If he didn't piss off to Russia for three seasons, Jagr easily beats out Messier and joins Gretzky in the 2000 point club). Just goes to show you how dominant this guy has been and for how long)
Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.