The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

petitions/how-fans-can-end-the-nhl-lockout

Sully2Cool

So all season tickets holders will give up their tickets for a season and go to the bottom of the 8 year waiting list? I'm sure that will happen. Then of course somebody that's been on the waiting list for years will also say no and go back to the bottom of the list again. I'm sure that will happen as well.

I don't get why you are all so negative about fan power.

It worked in Scotland and sent arguably the biggest Football/Soccer Club in Scotland down to the bottom league. All revolutions have to start somewhere. However if you are happy to have regular lockouts, that's fine.

Every one of these Owners or the NHL sponsors or TV/Cable Organisations CAN BE HURT. However, with your head in the sand, victim persona you are sending out a message that you are willing to put up with it every 5 or so years.

Someone above ridicules the internet. How wrong can they be, the internet is tailor made for the small guy fighting back. All it needs is for supporters web sites to be set up and for organised boycotting of goods and services which back these owners and their organisations.............Believe me, as it did in Scotland these things spread like wildfire.

You can even enlist the support of the fans of other sports to widen the boycotts on a quid pro quo basis.

Start now. Post up a list of owners, what they make, sell, or services they provide.

A list of sponsors and their products.

A list of broadcasters.

Then avoid using/buying any of it and encourage everyone else you know to do the same. Post the lists on college, schools and works websites and notice boards. Put it on your Facebook page.

Then at least they will KNOW you are fighting back.

I highly doubt starting a new website and trying to attract eyeballs for this cause is going to work.

Facebook has 800 million users. That would be the place to start this petition. However, several already exist there. The most popular one has 2100 members. Translation = nobody cares.

2100 barely registers. It's the equivalent of a fart in a hurricane.

I agree that season ticket holders aren't going to give them up, and it really is unfair for those of us who don't have them to ask them to given the wait list to get them back. However, I also agree that fans can (and should!) make a difference. That's why rather than targeting ticket sales I strongly encourage people to not buy any merchandise. It would be more fair and effective because it applies equally to all fans. It asks everyone to give proportionally to what they give the NHL, instead of asking the few to make all of the sacrifices.

Even if you could get 20% of season ticket owners to cancel their tickets, there are more people willing to buy them. The NHL wouldn't see a loss. But if 20% of us stop buying (or accepting as gifts) any and all merchandise they absolutely will feel it. (In my house we haven't bought or accepted any Canucks merchandise, and have donated the hundreds of dollars we would have spent thus far in the season to the Red Cross to help people who need it.) Targeting merchandise seems more realistic, more fair, and ultimately more painful for the NHL. Hopefully we can hurt their bottom line and put a fear in them that will remain when the next CBA expires.

Too late. My course of action will remain the same, whether or not there is a partial 2012-2013 season.

Not a cent of my money will go to the NHL from now on. Not only is there other hockey, but there are multiple ways to watch Nhl games without paying a dime. No merch. No TSN. No Sportsnet. No seasons tickets. No going to live games at all unless i get a free ticket from some other sucker.

A lot of people other than me are also done with buying anything Nhl-related. I don't the the Nhl is fully aware of how badly they're screwing themselves.

The greedy billionaires will live.

As for the Canucks, they've gotten a fair chunk of my earnings already. They'll live. I'm sure the arenas will remain full, but perhaps not. We'll see.

Archived