The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Post-Lockout: Is it time to put Hansen in the top 6?

Zoolander

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Jaanik Hansen as all of you already know, is on the upswing of his career. This season, in the SM-Liiga in Europe, Hansen has 5G, 8A in 15 GP. His plus-minus is almost always positive, and he can go to the dirty areas and feed Kesler the puck.

IMO, Hansen has worked hard for this spot, and shouldn't be subjected to just being a 3rd/4th liner. He should be given a long, hard look as Kesler's new 2nd line RW.

For someone drafted in a round, which no longer exists...I'd say it's time to give him the opportunity to show his stuff.

Agree with everyone else that he should stay on the 3rd line for now. This isn't because he's a bad player, it's because that's his role and he does it so well. A good team needs great role players and Hansen is a great 3rd liner. A guy like Hansen in a smaller role can do more for his team than he can in a bigger role that doesn't fit. I actually think Hansen could move into the Top 6 later on because his offensive side seems to be improving, but for now he belongs on the 3rd line.

Hansen has enough playmaking ability that he could be a good set-up man for Kesler. Problem is that he's been (at least so far in his career) pretty streaky offensively. Went on a tear last December, but tailed off a bit afterward.

Regardless, he is one of the best third-liners I've seen on this team since the lockout so it wouldn't be a problem at all to keep him there.

As a gut reaction I first voted no because I thoguth to myself no way man this guy is our Kris Draper or Kirk Maltby from those frustratingly effective Detroit checking lines in the late 90's early 2000's.

But after thinking it over for a few moments I realized that this would be an amazing fit in the Nuck's roster if he could produce and play well on a line with Kes and Booth.

If we could have lines that looked like

S.S. Burr

Booth Kes Hansen

Higgins Lappy Kassian

Raymond Malhotra Weise

Volpatti Ebbett Pinizzotto

I'd be happy going into the season.

However, why the heck do we want Raymond on our 4th line? He can't play anywhere else and I don't see his production on the 2nd PP unit being very crucial to the team's success.

I guess top 6 depth is another reason to keep him around as well as his speed and occasional effectiveness at shootouts, but I think a package of Raymond and ebbett with a late pick, or decent prospect like Yann Sauve, could get us a grinding 3rd/4th line RW that can chip in the occasional goal; like Hansen, but tougher and would play beneath Kassian.

Raymond-fail top 6.Can exchange for Jannick on 3rd if he moves up.

Kassian-nope.Fourth line or third at tops.

Schroeder-nope.If a talented Hodgson is shipped away then ......

With Higgins ,Booth and Kes commanding spots on the second there is no room,anyways.

Only way Jannick moves to the second is if Higgins and/or Booth get traded away or he simply becomes a second liner with age/experience and usurps either of those two.

So,Raymond and Hansen on the third? Raymond is not the playoff type performer I envision.

I would give Raymond one more shot to see what he can do in the playoffs as a top sixer. The last 2 series were vs the 2 bigger more physical teams we came across. Despite being labelled ''soft pansy wont go to durty areas'' ( dont see Raymond tumbleweeding or taking abuse from dwarfs jussayin) he was one of our better players and nearly the only guy creating quality chances. He had his back snapped vs Bos and still recovering vs LA with a useless centre in Kesler.

He was sooo close to getting a couple goals and assists vs LA, just didnt have the balance to contain his speed, linemates totally sucked and missed the net after getting his primo passes. He drew some penalties with his speed not by flailing like a girl. Deserves another chance after a proper offseason to regain physical form. Think he can break 20 goals again and contribute to a long playoff run if he gets it.

Problem is Higgins played well with Hansen and if Higgins is on the third -who's on second? Raymond ?

Problem is if Raymond is on third then Higgins does not play with Hansen.

It is clear a second line winger is needed for Higgins to play with Jannick.

Problem is Higgins played well with Hansen and if Higgins is on the third -who's on second? Raymond ?

Problem is if Raymond is on third then Higgins does not play with Hansen.

It is clear a second line winger is needed for Higgins to play with Jannick.

Hansen's value on this team is actually higher on the third line. He is a terrific two way player, who as we all know is great on the forecheck, causing turnovers etc.

Having a player on the third line who can finish is a significant asset as it spreads the scoring out a bit, and given he tends to pair against weaker defensive pairings a big adv for us.

A line of Higgins, Lappy and Hansen is in my opinion one of the best third lines in the league and toughest/most annoying to play against. Lappy crashes, bangs, chirps, Hansen gets in defensive players faces fast as they play the puck, and Higgins is tough along the boards, down low, and goes to the hard spots. Those things matter as games / series wear on where you can start matching the top line against those 3rd pairing, bc they are tired from being hit, forechecked etc, which ends up giving Daniel and Henrik more space. Often people dont think about how matchups can benefit other lines.

Leave him where he is, and teach Booth and Kesler to start looking around when the break into the offensive zone vs just at the net and the issue with playmaking is solved.

I would give Raymond one more shot to see what he can do in the playoffs as a top sixer. The last 2 series were vs the 2 bigger more physical teams we came across. Despite being labelled ''soft pansy wont go to durty areas'' ( dont see Raymond tumbleweeding or taking abuse from dwarfs jussayin) he was one of our better players and nearly the only guy creating quality chances. He had his back snapped vs Bos and still recovering vs LA with a useless centre in Kesler.

He was sooo close to getting a couple goals and assists vs LA, just didnt have the balance to contain his speed, linemates totally sucked and missed the net after getting his primo passes. He drew some penalties with his speed not by flailing like a girl. Deserves another chance after a proper offseason to regain physical form. Think he can break 20 goals again and contribute to a long playoff run if he gets it.

This is perfect!

Fits the 3rd line role better, if we had injuries I wouldn't mind giving him a shot as I think his offensive skill is better than he is given credit for.

But I would like to see Kassian get that shot, he Booth and Kesler all had great games when they were together against Buffalo, for some reason AV didn't keep them together however, so hopefully we could get an extended look at that line post lockout.

The problem with the Twins, if there is one, is they are 185 lbs. So is Burrows. As a line you can load size match ups against them.

Weise would not be my selection for the 1st line as he is not good enough, but neither would Hansen who is also essentially the same size...

I don't want to see wiese on the first line. The problem with the twins in the playoffs was not that they are too easy to shutdown, it's that the Canucks don't have a second line that can take the heat off and force the other team to abandon a matchup game. Keep the first the same get a new second line center with Ryan on the wing (he can't pass should not be on a scoring second line as center) with booth. Hanson and higgy with ray on the third kass lappy and wiese for the 4th.

Archived