The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Smokers..

nux4lyfe

Smoking is an enjoyable activity for some people. It relaxes them or something, I don't know, I don't have many smoking friends.

I'm not arguing against smokers being more considerate towards other people. I hate when I'm at the bus stop and someone's smoke is blowing in my face. Just like I hate when some idiot kills people in a drunk driving accident. But I don't condemn all those who drink, just the morons who drink and drive. I'm saying there seems to be a tremendous amount of vitriol directed at smokers in general.

I wish it were legal to slap a smoker across the face for having a lit cigarette near me, not just for the smoke issue but also for having to always worry about them carelessly getting ashes on, or burning a hole in, my clothes.

It really doesn't help that it seems like every other person smokes in this city.

I'm a fan of the 'you have to be 5 meters away from any doorway / air intake to smoke' law we have in Alberta. Makes things easy for the smokers (they build nice shelters and ashtrays for them) and non-smokers alike. It's just the constant enforcement of this law that is a pain.

Again, people defending smoking are using arguments of comparison - but we're talking about smoking so it simply is a distraction from that. And I see little reason to defend smoking, as it is a pointless activity. The other things listed, while contributing to hazards like pollution, etc. have purposes. Driving is a form of transportation. Eating hamburgers is at least some form of nourishment. Smoking = ?

Again, I'm not a hater against smokers (truth be told, I find smoking men attractive in some weird way). But I can understand the reasoning behind the demand for smokers to consider those around them by giving some space.

Again, people defending smoking are using arguments of comparison - but we're talking about smoking so it simply is a distraction from that. And I see little reason to defend smoking, as it is a pointless activity. The other things listed, while contributing to hazards like pollution, etc. have purposes. Driving is a form of transportation. Eating hamburgers is at least some form of nourishment. Smoking = ?

Again, I'm not a hater against smokers (truth be told, I find smoking men attractive in some weird way). But I can understand the reasoning behind the demand for smokers to consider those around them by giving some space.

I started smoking very young and got hooked on it. Yep, I did engage in a pointless activity and enjoyed it for years, then developed chronic bronchitis and learned about what I was doing to my body so I quit. I understand why people do it and that it's tough to quit - but it isn't an excuse to subject others to it. It's the attitude of entitlement that we're addressing - not necessarily the smoking itself. I never had that - my ex was asthmatic so I learned early on to respect others with regard to my habit.

As I said, nothing personal against smokers - just those who do feel entitled to smoke wherever the hell they please. As we learn, things change. They also used to use asbestos back in the day, but no longer do. There are reasons that non smokers don't wish to inhale second hand smoke and they outweigh any reasons for smoking.

I started smoking very young and got hooked on it. Yep, I did engage in a pointless activity and enjoyed it for years, then developed chronic bronchitis and learned about what I was doing to my body so I quit. I understand why people do it and that it's tough to quit - but it isn't an excuse to subject others to it. It's the attitude of entitlement that we're addressing - not necessarily the smoking itself. I never had that - my ex was asthmatic so I learned early on to respect others with regard to my habit.

As I said, nothing personal against smokers - just those who do feel entitled to smoke wherever the hell they please. As we learn, things change. They also used to use asbestos back in the day, but no longer do. There are reasons that non smokers don't wish to inhale second hand smoke and they outweigh any reasons for smoking.

Funny thread. I always thought smoking cigarettes was the dumbest thing someone can do. Not only are you exposing yourself to early disease and death, but you are opening yourself up to being physically and mentally dependant on a substance which is only costing you money and you're giving even more of your hard earned money to the government! Smokers don't "enjoy" spending countless thousands to kill themselves erly, they are dependant and addicted.

Smoking has always been a person's right, but so is breathing fresh air. The problem is that once smoke contaminates fresh air, you can't get rid of it. That's why I think we shouldn't allow smoking in any public space. Instead, there should be little cubicles designated as smoke boxes. Smokers can go into these little boxes and smoke to their hearts discontent. All the smoke will be contained and exhausted high into the atmosphere or deep underground. This way, the smokers can enjoy their freedoms and even know what it is like to get some of that good ol' second hand stuff into them!

And smokers who subject kids to their stupidity should be hung from the highest tree.

Smoking cigarettes is a choice, a very, very stupid choice, but we are all free to make our choices, so long as they don't infringe on the rights of others.

Then obviously it is not a pointless activity ,and smoking = enjoyment for those who smoke.

I was talking in relation to driving a car or eating a hamburger. You do those things for a reason....sure, the enjoyment of smoking is part of that but it does not contribute to anything that warrants doing it. Driving can get you to a destination that, perhaps, there are no other options in. Eating sustains you. Smoking may relieve some stress or provide enjoyment but other things can also do that, so it's rather pointless to engage in something that poses a threat to your health, as well as others.

I was talking in relation to driving a car or eating a hamburger. You do those things for a reason....sure, the enjoyment of smoking is part of that but it does not contribute to anything that warrants doing it. Driving can get you to a destination that, perhaps, there are no other options in. Eating sustains you. Smoking may relieve some stress or provide enjoyment but other things can also do that, so it's rather pointless to engage in something that poses a threat to your health, as well as others.

Don't really care if people smoke, but I believe they should have to sign contracts which doesn't allow them to use the health care system for smoking related illness and disease. They would have to pay for all the healthcare themselves. Why should my tax dollars pay for someone's blatant stupidity?

It's also ignorant when they can't have the decency to move away to smoke when near non smokers, and pick up your butts, the ground isn't your own personal ashtray!

While you were smoking you gained enjoyment from it , experiencing pleasure is not a pointless exercise .

Now you have have decided to quit you are rationalising this by telling yourself , and others it is a pointless activity .

It's all about balance....some people get enjoyment out of target shooting, but they don't do it on city sidewalks. Selfish people think their enjoyment trumps the comfort of others.

I realized that smoking was pointless when the enjoyment factor was outweighed by the coughing fits I was having, the fact that I also enjoyed running and that was being negatively impacted and I had to stand out in the cold so others weren't subjected to my second hand smoke.

I get your point, so it's now pointless to beat me over the head with it. :)

Don't really care if people smoke, but I believe they should have to sign contracts which doesn't allow them to use the health care system for smoking related illness and disease. They would have to pay for all the healthcare themselves. Why should my tax dollars pay for someone's blatant stupidity?

It's also ignorant when they can't have the decency to move away to smoke when near non smokers, and pick up your butts, the ground isn't your own personal ashtray!

Archived