#751 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,854 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

Two things stand out:

1) Kass is the go-to-guy in front of the net, so a lot of his goals will appear "garbage goals" ..but let us not discount what effort and strength of mind and body it takes to get into position in front of the net and be effective there

2) Since Kass scores at such a high percentage there are not many rebounds available for the Twins to deposit, thus earning him assists ..

Kassian is developing nicely .. seems he is motivated to play at an elite level and not wile away his time in the AHL .. show me an AHL star and I will show you a marginal NHL'er, for the most part ..

Edited by Tearloch7, 31 January 2013 - 12:42 PM.

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#752 nuck luck

nuck luck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

This kid continues to impress. If there's one thing that stands out as a point of "concern" is that he has yet to tally an assist.

regards,
G.

was thinking the same thing, was thinking if he doesn't get a goal please get an assist..
but they will come he does like to pass.

"Speechless", yes, but that's because I was banned and unable to post.

I still don't know why so many seem to think that I'm rooting for Kassian to fail. If you actually read the post, I am simply stating concern that his year-over-year production in the AHL had declined. Please explain why this is such a preposterous question to ask.

One thing that I will say, though, is that Zack Kassian's 5 goals come off of just 15 shots. That is a shooting percentage that is simply not sustainable. I would not bet on this hot start continuing, unless he starts to become a lot more involved in the offense than what he's shown to date. Let's be honest - 3 of his 5 goals have been effective empty-netters. Kudos to him for being in the right spot, at the right time, but I expect a significant pullback in his goals as a fan.

I agree that the lack of assists is a little concerning... 2 positives are that he isn't relying on the Sedins for his goals (they've only assisted on 2 of them) and Kass is adding intangibles to the line that make up for any concerns. Once the Sedins play like we know they can play, Zack will be the immediate beneficiary... I'd be pleased with 10 - 15 goals, but I suspect it will be higher. One of many intangibles that Zack brings is the confidence he brings out in the Sedins... they are throwing their weight around a bit more.

We all know Zack can pass, so he should also help the Sedins when they get their touch back....

So...King of ES,

Zacks shooting percentages might not be sustainable, but his hot start streak might continue. As soon as the twins find their Sedinery, I suspect Zack to receive a lot of little gifts for an easy tap in. Every player we've put up with the Sedins has inflated their points due to the direct correlation it has with the Sedins points, Kass hasn't yet. Kass only had 2 helpers from the Sedins on his 5 goals and the the Sedins have only 2 goals combined (Daniel with both of them). The Sedins will be more productive in his goal totals and I suspect his assists will also rise drastically when the Sedins start to score... he might not get goals at the same rate, but his total points should be impressive.

To correct you, the only stat "that is simply not sustainable" is the Sedins keeping their point totals at this level throughout the season.

Edited by nuck luck, 31 January 2013 - 12:56 PM.

#753 Tom Sestito

Tom Sestito

Probably Not A Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,189 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

"Speechless", yes, but that's because I was banned and unable to post.

I still don't know why so many seem to think that I'm rooting for Kassian to fail. If you actually read the post, I am simply stating concern that his year-over-year production in the AHL had declined. Please explain why this is such a preposterous question to ask.

One thing that I will say, though, is that Zack Kassian's 5 goals come off of just 15 shots. That is a shooting percentage that is simply not sustainable. I would not bet on this hot start continuing, unless he starts to become a lot more involved in the offense than what he's shown to date. Let's be honest - 3 of his 5 goals have been effective empty-netters. Kudos to him for being in the right spot, at the right time, but I expect a significant pullback in his goals as a fan.

Please don't tell me that over 50% of goals are scored because of pulling a one man show and deking out everyone to score.
Most goals are scored like that.
Posted Image
Thank you VC!

#754 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

Start with the first one please

Did you hear that?

Yeah, me either...

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#755 canucklehead44

canucklehead44

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,411 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

Kassian will slow down his goal scoring pace (he is not a 50 goal guy), but the question is by how much? Will he be a Jason King/Jeff Tambellini and all of a sudden go ice cold? or will he score 10 goals his first 18 games followed up by a reasonable 5 or 6 goals in 30 games?

At this point, anything below 10 goals would be a disappointment (based on his start). 10-15 goals would be at or above expectations, 15-20 would be good/very good and 20+ would be phenomenal.
Sig too big.

#756 deized_kanuck604

deized_kanuck604

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:08 PM

warning signs? hahahahahaha i warned you all that kassian was gonna be a beast, and with no one else scoring i don't see this kid slowing down unless he gets knocked out....so be a tough guy just don't get beat. keep em comin kass. wooooo
Posted Image

a true faN.
!kilLuminati!

#757 cloutier123

cloutier123

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:09 PM

Bert would have had to look him in the eye to do that so that's a non starter.

...and comparing Kas to Bert is ridiculous; at Zach's age Bert had been sent to the minors by the lowly Isles THREE seperate times. Plus Zach actually FIGHTS.

I watched the game, and distinctly remember Bert chasing Moore. Trying to get him to fight, several times. Before he ended up burrying him. Whether Bert looked him square in the eyes, niether of us has a clue. I believe he did.

The comparrison of Kassian to Bertuzzi is fair. Obviously they're not clones... Bertuzzi was the dominant power-forward in the leauge for several seasons. I believe Kassian will be as-well. Bertuzzi did fight as you imply he didn't, and layed monstrous hits. I believe Zack is fighting alot right now to establish himself in the league. If Kassian becomes as productive as Bertuzzi was in his prime, I'd prefer Kassian not to fight scrubs like he is now. Save the fights for other skilled dominant players.

#758 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,889 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

Start with the first one please

Yeah - don't mean to nit pick or anything King, but he kicked it in - the second bounced off his arm... and the third in a 6-3 loss in which Carolina's centers feasted on the matchup. All of Kassian's were off his stick and showed great hand eye - as you mentioned a sharp angle, a chest to stick, a tap in with a stick and man right on him, and bang in on a blind feed from Daniel, a move that Datsyuk would be proud of on Kipper - truly nothing empty net, fluky, or gimme about any of his goals.
Keep working it though.

Edited by oldnews, 31 January 2013 - 01:35 PM.

#759 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

All of Kassian's were off his stick and showed great hand eye - as you mentioned a sharp angle, a chest to stick, a tap in with a stick and man right on him, and bang in on a blind feed from Daniel, a move that Datsyuk would be proud of on Kipper - truly nothing empty net, fluky, or gimme about any of his goals.
Keep working it though.

Mm-hmm, so Cody's goals are all flukes, huh?

Here's a question - how many goals would Kassian have on the 3rd line and playing 11 minutes per game? Interesting that guys like you go on and on about how "sheltered" Cody's minutes were here, yet Zack Kassian has been spoon-fed a spot alongside Daniel & Henrik Sedin. Explain that one.

#760 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,827 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

Here's a question - how many goals would Kassian have on the 3rd line and playing 11 minutes per game? Interesting that guys like you go on and on about how "sheltered" Cody's minutes were here, yet Zack Kassian has been spoon-fed a spot alongside Daniel & Henrik Sedin. Explain that one.

Probably 3 since he would most likely get pp time still, same as Cody and he's getting first line minutes with Vanek and Pom ;).

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#761 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

I totally get what you are saying but why are we arguing?

Cody is gone Zack is here and we all cheer for the same team.
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#762 cloutier123

cloutier123

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

Kassian > Hodgson

#763 pibroch

pibroch

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:49 PM

Yeah, that 33.3 shooting percentage looks like trouble.

#764 CanucksJay

CanucksJay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:50 PM

Kassian will slow down his goal scoring pace (he is not a 50 goal guy), but the question is by how much? Will he be a Jason King/Jeff Tambellini and all of a sudden go ice cold? or will he score 10 goals his first 18 games followed up by a reasonable 5 or 6 goals in 30 games?

At this point, anything below 10 goals would be a disappointment (based on his start). 10-15 goals would be at or above expectations, 15-20 would be good/very good and 20+ would be phenomenal.

Even if he goes cold, if he does all the other things right like crash and bang, stick up for his teammates and drops the gloves every now and then, he is better than ALL of the other guys mentioned above.

#765 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,607 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:51 PM

All but one or two of Kassian's goals have come from someone else or his own hard work. Apparently, you're dumb and blind.

#766 CanucksJay

CanucksJay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:51 PM

Yeah, that 33.3 shooting percentage looks like trouble.

Another warning sign for sure... for the goalies
zing

#767 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 14,889 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

You said it - and playing with Vanek and Pominville -19 points to Hodgson's 3 btw. And by the way, you're the one who moronically attempted to downgrade Kassian's goals. That's gotta hurt King. You were so certain that Kassian is useless - yet as a rookie, as you so correctly allude to - he's playing on the first line.

Kassian has 5 points to Daniel's 6 and Hank's 4 - complementary would be the more appropriate term - and judging by what Kassian did to Eager, I'd be willing to bet the Sedin's don't mind 'spoon feeding' him lol. Did you notice him sitting between them on the bench by any chance. In addition, Hansen started the season on the first pp unit - Kassian earned his minutes there.
Doubt the Sedins will be complaining to AV about wanting an upgrade anytime soon.

Edited by oldnews, 31 January 2013 - 01:58 PM.

#768 morrissex95

morrissex95

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

Zack Kassian is a developing young player. The fact that he's producing at his age and at this stage of his development should be encouraging and not discouraging.

Bertuzzi took much longer to produce at the rate that Kassian is right now with a significant edge in ice time.
Posted Image

#769 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,405 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:05 PM

Kassian has earned a spot on the first line by virtue of his play that Cody never did?
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#770 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

You said it - and playing with Vanek and Pominville -19 points to Hodgson's 3 btw. And by the way, you're the one who moronically attempted to downgrade Kassian's goals. That's gotta hurt King. You were so certain that Kassian is useless - yet as a rookie, as you so correctly allude to - he's playing on the first line.

Kassian has 5 points to Daniel's 6 and Hank's 4 - complementary would be the more appropriate term - and judging by what Kassian did to Eager, I'd be willing to bet the Sedin's don't mind 'spoon feeding' him lol. Did you notice him sitting between them on the bench by any chance. In addition, Hansen started the season on the first pp unit - Kassian earned his minutes there.
Doubt the Sedins will be complaining to AV about wanting an upgrade anytime soon.

Didn't the Sedins personally train Kassian this offseason?

#771 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 14,889 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

Didn't the Sedins personally train Kassian this offseason?

Apparently they trained together for a week or so, but Kassian was sent various places to work on fitness and skills.

#772 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

Apparently they trained together for a week or so, but Kassian was sent various places to work on fitness and skills.

Oh, ok.

I wasn't sure of the whole story.

#773 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,736 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

And how many would Hodgson have if he wasn't getting 1st-line moinutes with guys like Pominville or Vanek?

#774 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 14,889 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

King of E.S...

Now that Kassian's essentially played the same amount of games as every other player in the NHL this season, I thought I'd have a look at the numbers to see how exactly he's "developing" (generous term).

WARNING: this ain't pretty

1) He has zero assists (alarming!!!!!!!!!), notice the number of exclamation marks.

2) He's fat.

3) He stinks

4) He needs a haircut

5) He's not Cody Hodgson(my main man) :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

6) He's not as pretty as Cody

Told you it wouldn't be pretty. He has 5 goals but Marleau has 9 in fewer games.

So in conclusion, Zack Kassian is what's wrong with hockey and he ugly.

V 2.0 was an upgrade.

#775 JimLahey

JimLahey

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

[color=#282828]

V 2.0 was an upgrade.

6) is very alarming.

I'd trade him.

hL9YqYN.jpg

#776 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:53 PM

Can't you just realize when to stop?

Cheer for the guy! Hope he continues with his play for the sake of the team you supposedly support.
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#777 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

Did you hear that?

Yeah, me either...

I dont get it :(
July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#778 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:46 PM

To build on this - if he were to even get 1 goal on his next 15 shots, he would still have one of the highest shooting percentages in the league.

And Anson Carter had the 3rd highest shooting percentage (22.6%) in the league in '05/'06 despite owning a career average 15% shooting percentage, scoring 33g on only 146 shots (less than two shots per game). Taylor Pyatt went from a career 10% shooting percentage to 15.3% in '06/'07, scoring 23g on 150 shots (less than 2 shots per game). Alex Burrows went from a career 8.9% shooting percentage to 16% in '07/'08, scoring 28g on 175 shots (just over 2 shots per game).

Guess who is currently averaging two shots a game? Zack Kassian. It is crystal clear to me that you have absolutely no idea how the twins play and how the third forward on that line is utilized. Would you want a guy like Kesler on their line ripping wrist shots from every angle, every time he gets the puck? Or would you prefer to have a linemate that gives them a chance for their cycle game to breakdown defensive coverage and set up an empty net tap in/rebound garbage goal off a shot from the point?

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#779 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

You were so certain that Kassian is useless - yet as a rookie, as you so correctly allude to - he's playing on the first line.

I was? Please, do show me where.

#780 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:49 PM

Kassian has earned a spot on the first line by virtue of his play that Cody never did?

I believe it was game 2 that he was placed on the 1st line.

When/how/why had he "earned" that spot, at that point?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.