The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 4.0

I believe this to be true.

Some of you may remember Luongo's brother's tweet a few months back. It was something to do with CBJ and Nash trade. Luongo (the brother) tweeted something like "at least Howson approaches Nash with a traded to team Nash has previously approved" meaning MG approached Luongo with trade to a team Luongo had not pre - approved.

Luongo really has no right to complain about Gillis coming to him with a team that wasn't on his pre-aproved list. After all, he threw a wrench in the spokes right away saying that he would welcome a trade. And then like a month later saying that he wanted to go to Florida.

You think that hurt Gillis's bargaining position just a little? Luongo has no one to blame but himself for this deal taking so long.

Luongo really has no right to complain about Gillis coming to him with a team that wasn't on his pre-aproved list. After all, he threw a wrench in the spokes right away saying that he would welcome a trade. And then like a month later saying that he wanted to go to Florida.

You think that hurt Gillis's bargaining position just a little? Luongo has no one to blame but himself for this deal taking so long.

If u're gonna quote Lu then please do it with some semblance of accuracy. Lu stated he would welcome a trade if it bettered the team. He has been more then cooperative, patient and flexible with this team and his ace in the hole being his NTC. Remember, it was MG that signed him to this 12 year + 65 million dollar + NTC albatross. It wasn't Lu who pulled himself outta last seasons dismal failure against LA. I find it ironic how the team in front of him couldn't score, check or defend and yet he fields the blame for the whole teams failure. It just goes to show just how amateurish our organisation really is. It was the same sh!t from the team that couldn't score in game 7 against the Bruins two years ago!! Look at the Hodgson trade last year and now we have no viable second line!! Betcha MG regrets that move!!! Kassian isn't half the player CoHo is and Buffalo is laughin' all the way to the bank!!!

Source: Tony Gallagher on team 1040 last hour

Tony, BMac and Taylor were discussing the Luongo situation. Essentailly they said.

-this all took place at the draft.

-deal was very close to being done between Vancouver and Toronto-perhaps even done- they were not sure.

-the trade was presented to Luongo and he asked if Florida was still interested.

-MG said FLA was still interested but not close

-Lou said no to the proposed TO deal and said he wanted to wait for florida.

MG had to sign him to that deal, else his cap hit would have been too high, and we would have not been able to sign some of the players we have in the last 2 years...

The cap hit isn't a big deal, as long as he can still play, which he can.

He would have rocked in TO, but why would he want to go there and take them to the playoffs? They have no chance of winning, and I'll bet Lu wants to go to a team capable of winning. Like Florida ... er... well, at least they made the playoffs...

I just had a thought.

Speaking hypothetically here; if Luongo had in one way or another said that he would not waive to go to Toronto, why would Mike Gillis tell anyone that? Could he be playing this game with Toronto knowing that Luongo won't go there to help him drive the price up when the next serious bidder comes up? He could keep the price high and used the Toronto media to show that any team inquiring had competition.

Do you think GMs do that?

MG had to sign him to that deal, else his cap hit would have been too high, and we would have not been able to sign some of the players we have in the last 2 years...

The cap hit isn't a big deal, as long as he can still play, which he can.

He would have rocked in TO, but why would he want to go there and take them to the playoffs? They have no chance of winning, and I'll bet Lu wants to go to a team capable of winning. Like Florida ... er... well, at least they made the playoffs...

When has MG or AV said Cory will be starting most games? Who here honestly expects Cory to play even 2/3 of the games? i dont. Unless of course he plays his way there. The fans/media have just assumed Cory will be our no 1 based on him getting the nod in LA. Big deal. This isnt some Colin Kaepernick/Alex Smith situation where there can only be one starter. I think of goalies more like startng pitchers where your team can still play at the same level while rotating that position.

When has MG or AV said Cory will be starting most games? Who here honestly expects Cory to play even 2/3 of the games? i dont. Unless of course he plays his way there. The fans/media have just assumed Cory will be our no 1 based on him getting the nod in LA. Big deal. This isnt some Colin Kaepernick/Alex Smith situation where there can only be one starter. I think of goalies more like startng pitchers where your team can still play at the same level while rotating that position.

Archived