The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 4.0

That's not what's happening.

The one known in all of this is that Vancouver MUST get rid of Roberto Luongo, sooner or later - but no later than the off-season, really. Knowing this, you can understand why Toronto, or anybody else, is unwilling to pay up. Mike Gillis has to get rid of Roberto Luongo, and this puts the Vancouver Canucks in a very weak bargaining position.

Deny this all you want, but this is what's happening. This is the game. The whole world knows that Gillis has to get Luongo off of his roster prior to the 2013-14 season. Luongo's price just continues to drop the longer that we hold on to him, because other teams know that Gillis has to come up with a solution prior to the 2013-14 season; meaning that if no trade is made this season, Nonis could well be able to pluck him off of waivers in the summer.

Roberto said that he's not coming back next year (through Ren Lavoie a couple of days ago), so I think the timeline has been set by him.

That notwithstanding, how do you expect us to sign Edler, or do anything else of significance, with $9.3M tied up in our goaltenders? It simply doesn't work to have both goalies, which is plain for anyone to see.

Gillis is the boss - I love that incisive response to the Leafs panhandling.

Hey Toronto - you're the richest franchise in the NHL and you suck to the core.

Spend some GD money, take Dipietro in exchange for some dearly needed assets, buy him out and get back to us with a real-life offer.

Otherwise

trebek-300x300.jpg

King of ES goes to buy a house, and after talking with the realtor he firmly believed the price is too high. He sends the realtor a low ball offer which is rejected. FINE king says, after a couple months they will get desperate when the market drops and accept the price I proposed to them. In the mean time, the seller finds another interested party and accepts their offer since it isn't a complete low ball like kings. King panics, he realized this house was the only one on the market he really wanted. Now homeless for months because he was waiting to get his house for under market value, his wife leaves him in frustration. He ends up living in Nonis' basement.

Points to refute your argument;

That contract allows a team to obtain elite level goaltending for a big discount of a normal goalie.

Rinne = 7

Lundqvist = 6.9

Price = 6.5

etc

Luongo at 5.3 allows you to stock up on other assets, perhaps a better 3rd line center/winger? Depth on defense? Especially with the 65 million cap coming up Rinne, Lundqvist, and price are commanding 10%+ of the cap for one position.

As for the long contract, yeah there is some things you have to work out or worry about. But as any team worth it's weight would have a very good team "capologist" / lawyer that surely could mitigate that burden, and if he ends up winning you a cup in 5 years, what's wrong with a 1 million dollar penalty for a few years?

So no, I disagree with you on Luongo's contract making him "worthless"

I agree. We're not doing any favors for other teams. Especially not the Leafs.

Toronto's probably the worst team you can get involved with in long term trade talks. Their media gets way too involved and tries to dictate the price of players.

Roberto said that he's not coming back next year (through Ren Lavoie a couple of days ago), so I think the timeline has been set by him.

That notwithstanding, how do you expect us to sign Edler, or do anything else of significance, with $9.3M tied up in our goaltenders? It simply doesn't work to have both goalies, which is plain for anyone to see.

Archived