3455 replies to this topic

#2251 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,351 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:14 PM

surely we don't have to get pieces from toronto...but thats a good point to start negotiations for mg.

I just can't stand the arrogance from the Toronto media. As if we should just give them Luongo, and that they would be doing us a favor.

Since when do you not have to give up vaulable pieces to get a top player?

The standard price in deals like this is a roster player, a prospect, and a pick. They can keep their roster player and pick and just give us two prospects.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#2252 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,960 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

Luongo is a nice Goalie, BUT when Canucks goes for THE MOMENT aparently he (Luongo) starts to fail...

the other Goalie (forgot the name) did a good job last season, maybe it´s time to give him a chance...

Can't tell if trolling or just not a hockey fan.

Posted Image

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#2253 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,618 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

surely we don't have to get pieces from toronto...but thats a good point to start negotiations for mg.

This isn't the start. They started negotiations at the 2012 draft which was more than 6 months ago.

But yeah. I'd be surprised if we got those 2 players.

Edited by WHL rocks, 16 January 2013 - 04:20 PM.

#2254 Barry_Wilkins

Barry_Wilkins

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

Cox raises a valid point. Does Luongo on TO make them a Cup contender, today, in your eyes? He might help get them to the playoffs, but then they'll probably just be 1st round fodder for a team like Boston. They're still not that good with Luongo. So perhaps they've made a decision to tank and see if they can somehow land a real franchise-type guy like Jones, MacKinnon, McDavid, etc. Don't discount that option. Nonis was given a new contract, so it's feasible.

Nonis, when starting out as GM for the Canucks, was asked what one player he'd pick to start a new team with. Without hesitation, he said Luongo. His modus operandi, same as Burke's (though you wouldn't know it by Burke's reign in TO), was to build from the goalie first, to the Dmen, to centre, finally to the wing. It wouldn't surprise me that Nonis is a lot more keen on getting Lu than was Burke, who apparently got fired because he wouldn't trade for Lu when the new ownership group wanted him to.

And Nonis won't care about pressure, even if it did go against ownership wishes (seems like it doesn't anyway). Nonis lost his job here because he wisely didn't panic on the lopsided Brad Richards non-deal, among others. He'll do what he wants to do. He could trade for Luongo, then bide his time till the youngsters and higher picks develop. And yeah, I know, Luongo ain't getting younger. But I don't see him getting a lot worse in the next 5 years, though I know some have their doubts.

All that said, I'd much rather deal with Florida than Toronto. All the Kadri talk makes me nervous. He could very well be a Wellwood 2.0. -- short, light, uncompetitive, unmotivated. (He came to camp last year completely out of shape.)

#2255 aeromotacanucks

aeromotacanucks

Real Person

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:23 PM

Can't tell if trolling or just not a hockey fan.

Posted Image

If a Hockey fan but Iīm not an expert, itīs my judgment as a fan only. probably Iīm the only guy in South America who like Hockey, and itīs very hard to see the games from here :) but my simple opinion is that Luongo does fine, but when Canucks goes to the Playoffs he doesnīt do the job....
Shup up and fly! you´re not payed to think, you´re payed to fly!

#2256 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

Nonis, when starting out as GM for the Canucks, was asked what one player he'd pick to start a new team with. Without hesitation, he said Luongo. His modus operandi, same as Burke's (though you wouldn't know it by Burke's reign in TO), was to build from the goalie first, to the Dmen, to centre, finally to the wing. It wouldn't surprise me that Nonis is a lot more keen on getting Lu than was Burke, who apparently got fired because he wouldn't trade for Lu when the new ownership group wanted him to.

Wrong. Nonis was asked who he thought was the best goalie in the league, not who he would start a franchise with.

And let's not forget that that was 7 years ago. A little different context surrounding Luongo today than back at that time.

#2257 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,371 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

I just can't stand the arrogance from the Toronto media. As if we should just give them Luongo, and that they would be doing us a favor.

Since when do you not have to give up vaulable pieces to get a top player?

The standard price in deals like this is a roster player, a prospect, and a pick. They can keep their roster player and pick and just give us two prospects.

They got spoiled in the Phaneuf deal.

Those types of deals rarely come along. If they did, we would have another Ehrhoff by now.

Edited by D-Money, 16 January 2013 - 04:32 PM.

Posted Image

#2258 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,487 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

Yeah, so simple to waltz into the NHL as a 19 year-old rookie d-man and get 40 points in 76 games.

Yeah then follow that up with a drop to 29 in 6 more games.

Like I said he jumped into a one dimensional role, the rest of his game isn't ready, the proof is in the pudding, he is -53 in his career, not exactly the all round player Gudbranson is.

The second line is supposed to score. I'm not concerned about them being defensive liabilities. Who's going to score?

By "risk" I mean that it's risky for a "built to win now" team to run with 1 scoring line and 3 "defensively responsible" lines. Good luck in winning a Cup with that recipe.

You really think Kesler and Booth won't be back before playoffs? Kesler could be back early next month, Booth will be back late next month, not too worried about that, the line can score there is skill their, the issue is defensively, you don't want them going up and racking up -'s, as long as they can play defense fine there is no issue putting them out as there is enough offensive talent to generate some points.

zackass.png

#2259 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,487 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

Of course, you're only telling the part of the story that serves your argument.

I find it so hypocritical to see you say this. :lol:

zackass.png

#2260 Barry_Wilkins

Barry_Wilkins

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

Wrong. Nonis was asked who he thought was the best goalie in the league, not who he would start a franchise with.

And let's not forget that that was 7 years ago. A little different context surrounding Luongo today than back at that time.

Let's not nit pick. Even having it your way, his philosophy was and is to value (most and first) a strong goalie. And his favoured goalie was Luongo. He demonstrated his desire pretty quickly after that when he snagged him.

Of course it was 7 years ago. So what? Luongo had another very good year last year. You keep saying he's gonna tank (too old), but he's been doing the job consistently well for a decade. I don't see him dropping the ball in the next 5-7 years, and I doubt Nonis does either. He's certainly a proven upgrade on their arena-sized question marks in Reimer and whoever the next "phenom" is supposed to be.

Again, Nonis will want to start his reign with a star goalie. There aren't many available besides Lu.

For Vancouver's sake, I hope what Florida offers is better than the TO pu-pu platter.

Edited by Barry_Wilkins, 16 January 2013 - 04:44 PM.

#2261 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,487 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

Cox is an idiot. I consider his opinion at par with Pierre Mcguire's'.

Did you see him and Botch (Who I also think is kind of a idiot at times) go at it on twitter?

Lol at Cox's comment that Kadri, Bozak and a 2nd are waaay too much for Lu.

Interesting that anyone making unflattering comments about the Canucks is deemed an "idiot" (myself included).

Cox was well known to be very close with Burke - the only media guy liked by BB. So this could be a very real representation of what the Canucks were asking for from Toronto. And if they're not willing to give it, that should be a pretty good signal that I'm on the right track with my predictions.

Look at the genius Cox in action, I'm sure you will love his response when Botch corrects him, just turns it in another direction, kinda like you do sometimes.

Damien Cox@DamoSpin
Bozak, Kadri and a second rounder? Wayyy too much for Luongo. And there's no other team willing to pay that price either.

Jason Botchford@botchford
Wait, an expiring contract & unproven prospect are too much? Hilarious. RT @DamoSpin Bozak, Kadri and a 2nd rounder? Wayyy too much for Lu

Damien Cox@DamoSpin
@botchford Not as hilarious as being unable to come up with an original name for a TV segment.

zackass.png

#2262 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,487 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:49 PM

Usually disagree with Botchford, but these 4 tweets of his (Aswell as his argument with Cox) Were right on the money.

So, the Canucks should wheel Luongo over in a wheelbarrow, drop him off at the ACC, grab a 3rd rnd pick and go home?

Bozak is a $1.4 million centre over his head in the top six, but he's untouchable? #K

I can see why the Leafs don't want to give up Kadri. They've treated him like gold

Who do the Canucks have to throw in to even up Luongo for kadri/Bozak? Edler?

zackass.png

#2263 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,351 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:53 PM

The Toronto media have been trying for awhile to boost up the value of Kadri.

The truth is the Leafs gave up on him being a star player a long time ago. Now they're trying to salvage what they can for him.

He adds less value to a trade at this point since he is 22 years old and still pretty unproven. Would I be happy to get him though? Sure, but not as the center piece of the trade.

Edited by DeNiro, 16 January 2013 - 04:54 PM.

Posted Image

#2264 Legend Killer

Legend Killer

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

Kadri apparently feels prisoned by the Leafs, that's according to a friend of his i know. He's got skill, but the Leafs have to get rid of him. He wants out, so his value is down for them in a trade.
Posted Image
For the first time in a long time.. the future looks bright..

#2265 Nox

Nox

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:05 PM

On rumour board it mentions Mike Gillis saying he's spoken to 4 or 5 teams about Luongo trade this week.
Sounds like MG is trying to push someone to move one step closer to close a trade. Likely Nonis or Tallon.
I read this as a trade is going to happen one way or the other by Saturday. No way Canucks want Luongo staying
with them at this point unless there's absolutely no alternative.

Com'on let's get this trade done and see some hot new names in the lineup come Saturday.
Make it worth my time to line up an hour for a $1 hot dog.

#2266 Onions

Onions

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:07 PM

I don't think TO is in the position to offer us a whole lot. I mean, look at who we would want and what that would do to their current team. Sure they can offer prospects and picks but that just hurts them in the future.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#2267 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,351 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

If the Canucks don't make a trade in the next couple days, look for us to sign Arnott or Gomez.

I think that will signal that Luongo is staying here for the season.

Posted Image

#2268 Nox

Nox

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

I don't think TO is in the position to offer us a whole lot. I mean, look at who we would want and what that would do to their current team. Sure they can offer prospects and picks but that just hurts them in the future.

Remember two big media companies run the show in Toronto now. Win or lose adding a big name like Luongo might help the bottomline of both companies. The bosses there are no longer just hockey people growing a franchise from the grassroots. What do they say in showbiz, there's no such thing as bad publicity.

#2269 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,545 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:15 PM

Well Burke got fired two days in or so didn't he? Before the trade moratorium was off...

if Luongo to Florida was as good as done- why has it not happened?
John Shannon and half the hockey world predicted that Luongo to Toronto would happen within 48 hours of the lockout ending.
How about 48 days?
48 weeks?
John Shannon really F'ed his reputation with his guarantee of Luongo to Toronto- oh wait, he has no reputation, because nobody cares what he says anyway, because we all know that he is a useless human being.

Yes our 2knd C is a temporary issue as we have (hopefully) 3 to 6 years of Kesler and Hank to enjoy? So either a rental (which should not cost an all star goalie) or a solid prospect that could ultimately slot would help. And I also agree that we may lose some positioning, but will still make the dance if we stay the course. A winger is more valuable to me also.

2knd RW or 1st RW? I argue Burrows, who plays great with Kesler also, would be the perfect wing on that line (which already has size with Kesler and Booth) and now add's passing after playing tic tac toe with the Twins for years.

What we need is a bigger RW who does what Burrows does, but does not leave the line vulnerable to size match ups.

The self importance that many of the 'sports' writers assume is pretty comical. Perhaps it is the association with atheletes who enjoy fan adulation.

I called a Lu trade between games 10 to 15. Gillis will have a hard time not addressing the 2nd line. If the Canucks are winning it obviously gives him more leeway. I just cannot see the NW not giving the Canucks more of a challenge. As much as we all hope that teams crater coming out of the gate and Gillis can rob them as a result there is no gurantees. Hoping that 2C is temperary with Kesler returning. Still consider the 2RW the main issue.

Wasn't Cox one of the Toronto media speculating Burke was fired because (of his ideals) he would not pull the trigger on a Lou trade? So now Nonis goes on record saying they need to be patient and keep all their prospects (a program I compliment) and Cox shifts gears... :ph34r:

Maybe the reverse is true; Burke was fired because he was going to pull the trigger, and was being viewed as a loud mouthed hypocrite???

Damien Cox loves to troll Vancover fans.

#2270 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:17 PM

If the Canucks don't make a trade in the next couple days, look for us to sign Arnott or Gomez.

I think that will signal that Luongo is staying here for the season.

Honestly, the Canucks should do that anyway. It will alleviate this false impression that with Booth out Gillis is now bent over a barrel somehow. Worst case is you waive 'im once Kesler is back.

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#2271 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,351 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:17 PM

Remember two big media companies run the show in Toronto now. Win or lose adding a big name like Luongo might help the bottomline of both companies. The bosses there are no longer just hockey people growing a franchise from the grassroots. What do they say in showbiz, there's no such thing as bad publicity.

Exactly. They need some sort of excitement in Toronto to get the fans excited about the team again.

Nonis coming out and saying "Well we're gonna try and build the team again for another 5 years. And at that point we may or may not be in a better position then we are now" That wouldn't really fly with fans I don't think.

Or you can add Luongo and build around the pieces that are already in place. Make the playoffs and hope for the best.

Edited by DeNiro, 16 January 2013 - 05:19 PM.

Posted Image

#2272 Niklas Jensen

Niklas Jensen

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:21 PM

Luongo to Florida please, love to see the Leafs end up with nothing.
Our D's must make opponent fowards going to the net PAY THE PRICE

#2273 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • 13,132 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:27 PM

I've got a creeping feeling that this deal keeps getting bigger and bigger.

I'm officially expecting the unexpected at this point.

Posted ImageNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEPosted Image

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#2274 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,351 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:29 PM

Yea me too. I could see players like Raymond and even Tanev being included as part of a bigger package for Bozak, Gardiner, and Kadri.

Posted Image

#2275 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • 13,132 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:34 PM

Yea me too. I could see players like Raymond and even Tanev being included as part of a bigger package for Bozak, Gardiner, and Kadri.

I'm thinking even bigger.

Posted ImageNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEPosted Image

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#2276 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,848 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:40 PM

A blockbuster to beat all blockbusters?

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#2277 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,048 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:40 PM

Luongo to Florida please, love to see the Leafs end up with nothing.

Be lovely and poetic ::D
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#2278 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 17,048 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

Been thinking the same. Wouldn't be surprised if we're all:

Posted Image

...when it all goes down.
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#2279 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,618 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

Like what.

#2280 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 15,774 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:46 PM

Of course, you're only telling the part of the story that serves your argument.

I compared their production at the same age of 18/19. That's the relevant part of the comparison. Pietrangelo is a few weeks short of two years older than Gudbranson - but has only played one more season in the NHL.
Needless to say Gudbranson's numbers were every bit as good as Pietrangelo's - again Gudbranson's 12 goals, 34 points in 44 games compared to Alex's 8 and 29 in 36 in no way sustains the point that you were attempting to make - that Gudbranson has absolutely no offensive potential. You're simply wrong.

Sure they will. You don't need to score to win hockey games, do you?

:bigblush:

Dominant sport truism: "Defense wins championships".

Edited by oldnews, 16 January 2013 - 05:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.