441 replies to this topic

#121 Mr.DirtyDangles

Mr.DirtyDangles

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:39 PM

Same beaks every year, yet all Kipper does is post better numbers than 7uongo and Iggy with 30+ goals. Next :lol:

Sorry to burst your bubble there SVEN but...

Since 2005 Luongo has 259 wins 37 SO and a GAA of 2.52

Since 2005 kipper has 273 wins 37 SO and a GAA of 2.32

Only 14 wins and .2 of GAA average separate the two

Throw a few more games a season in for Lou and it would be nearly identical

KIPP is unreal ! Mad respect to him for sticking it out in the stinkfest that is the Calgary fLAMES. If you didnt have Iginla you would be golfing every year come playoffs. I have been living in Calgary since 86 and the fans just get more ridiculous by the year. The wishy-washy teeter-totter that is the Calgary fanbase is truly laughable. If had a dollar for every time I heard trade iginla or trade kipper after a loosing streak I would be a billionaire.

NEXT !

bmw-e30-m3-drift-o.gif

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society 

-Krishnamurti-            

#122 Canucks_fo_life

Canucks_fo_life

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,562 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:58 PM

Went to the Wolves/Heat game Friday night, a 3-1 win for the good guys (Wolves), didn't see much from the flames prospects, we were sitting behind the bench, and went through their lineup and couldn't see anyone that would make an impact for calgary down the road, I know Baertschi wasn't playing but other than him, really no one. Nemisz? Horak? Brodie?, the only potential up and comers, the goaltending was also horrible, he allowed 3 goals in an 8 minute span in the 1st, think it was Taylor or Irving forgot.
I rather lose with the Canucks, than win with any other team

This is OUR year

GO CANUCKS GOOOOOO!!!!!!!

#123 WillyFox

WillyFox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:45 AM

Irving got pulled looks like a seive IMO
GO Canucks GO

#124 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,941 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:21 PM

Sorry to burst your bubble there SVEN but...

Since 2005 Luongo has 259 wins 37 SO and a GAA of 2.52

Since 2005 kipper has 273 wins 37 SO and a GAA of 2.32

Only 14 wins and .2 of GAA average separate the two

Throw a few more games a season in for Lou and it would be nearly identical

KIPP is unreal ! Mad respect to him for sticking it out in the stinkfest that is the Calgary fLAMES. If you didnt have Iginla you would be golfing every year come playoffs. I have been living in Calgary since 86 and the fans just get more ridiculous by the year. The wishy-washy teeter-totter that is the Calgary fanbase is truly laughable. If had a dollar for every time I heard trade iginla or trade kipper after a loosing streak I would be a billionaire.

NEXT !

Sven's a scrappy guy, but I like his loyalty and positive thinking, so I feel a bit for him right now.
Tough time for Flames fans. The Heat got their hopes up so high - now we're seeing them hit the ground at high speed. All their young uber-prospects might not be a good as people thought a few months ago. The mere Wolves had their way with them lol! So much hype built up around them and Feaster's prematurely successful rebuild-on-the-go, but I agree with you, without Kipper and Iginla, the Flames are in a sad, sad place. They made the same mistake Toronto did - they should have faced the music years ago. Instead they both shot for glitzy quick fixes with names like Kessel and Cammalleri. I have very little confidence in Feaster. If it's me, I do a bit of a clearing house in the Flames organization - I don't start with Iggy or Kipper.

#125 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

Sven's a scrappy guy, but I like his loyalty and positive thinking, so I feel a bit for him right now.
Tough time for Flames fans. The Heat got their hopes up so high - now we're seeing them hit the ground at high speed. All their young uber-prospects might not be a good as people thought a few months ago. The mere Wolves had their way with them lol! So much hype built up around them and Feaster's prematurely successful rebuild-on-the-go, but I agree with you, without Kipper and Iginla, the Flames are in a sad, sad place. They made the same mistake Toronto did - they should have faced the music years ago. Instead they both shot for glitzy quick fixes with names like Kessel and Cammalleri. I have very little confidence in Feaster. If it's me, I do a bit of a clearing house in the Flames organization - I don't start with Iggy or Kipper.

That's because no one was playing for the Heat lol? All the top players got called up for camp

3499h5x.jpg
Johnny Gaudreau>any Casucks

Edler, Markstrom, Hansen, 2nd round pick 2014 to Islanders for Ryan Strome, 5th overall pick 2014

This is fairly even as well.

#126 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68,317 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

Kiprusoff shows mid-season form early in Flames camp:

CALGARY -- With captain Jarome Iginla sidelined for the second straight day and Jiri Hudler gone to attend to a family emergency, the Calgary Flames were looking for somrthing to spark the team at practice.

Goalie Miikka Kiprusoff came through Monday when he made a highlight-reel save to deny forward Roman Horak from scoring what seemed like a sure goal during an intense scrimmage.

Kiprusoff slid from right to left across his crease and stretched his right leg out to make a pad save to turn aside Horak's shot.

"That's why he's one of the best goalies in the NHL," said Horak, who one-timed a saucer pass from Tim Jackman. "I just tried to put it on the net. Maybe I could have tried to receive it and then shot it. It was an unbelievable save."

After the save, many of the 250 or so fans in attendance at the Scotiabank Saddledome started chanting, "Kipper, Kipper."

"I think sometimes he even gives you an extra second to take it away from you," said defenceman Mark Giordano. "Some of the saves he makes are amazing. That's just his athleticism. He's so good at getting post to post."

While Iginla missed training camp for the second straight day with a groin injury, Hudler was granted a leave of absence to return home to the Czech Republic where his father has been admitted to hospital.

"We told him to take care of his dad," said Calgary coach Bob Hartley, while adding there's no timeline as to when Hudler will return. "He'll be in touch with us. Hockey really is important in everybody's life, but your family always comes No. 1."

Curtis Glencross and Matt Stajan scored goals during the scrimmage for Team Red, while Mikael Backlund was the lone player from Team Black to slide a puck past Kiprusoff.

Flames coaches and players said they weren't surprised to see that their No. 1 goalie is already in mid-season form just six days before Calgary's home opener on Sunday against the San Jose Sharks, Kiprusoff's former team.

"You saw vintage Kipper again with that one save," said goalie coach Clint Malarchuk, while noting that Kiprusoff arrived at camp in great shape. "He's a veteran guy that knows what to do."

When asked about the save, Hartley replied that "Kipper was just Kipper," adding that he rates Kiprusoff as one of the top-five NHL goalies.

"I have the old line that 'You name me a good goalie and I'll name you a good team,"' Hartley said. "I know that Kipper's going to be big for us. He's working hard. He's very positive. He's eager to get going and so is the rest of the team."

During the lockout, Kiprusoff often skated with his teammates at WinSport's Markin MacPhail Centre.

"He'd be missing for a couple weeks spending time with his family and then he'd show up out of the blue on a Tuesday and he'd be doing the same thing," Stajan said. "I don't think it matters with Kipper. He's one of the best goalies in the world for a reason. His skill level is just unbelievable, the way he reads plays and his quickness. It's second to none and we're lucky to have him."

Defenceman Dennis Wideman, who the Flames signed as a free agent in the off-season, said that he's used to watching highlights of Kiprusoff's amazing saves and that he's excited to be on the same team as the veteran netminder.

"I'm sure he'll bail me out a few times over the course of the year," said Wideman, who had 11 goals and 25 assists in 82 games with the Washington Capitals last season. "Whenever you have a goalie like that playing behind you, it definitely gives you some more confidence to make some plays and put a little more pressure on guys."

Prior to the scrimmage, Hartley and his coaching staff put the Flames through an intense 1 1/2 hour practice.

"Every time we step on the ice, we step with a purpose and that purpose is obviously to execute very well, but at the same time to have NHL game intensity," Hartley said.

That intensity carried over into the scrimmage, which featured NHL referees and linesmen.

"This was really, really high-tempo," said Horak, who has already scored 14 times and added five assists in 35 games this season with the Abbotsford Heat, Calgary's American Hockey League affiliate. "I would say it was a little more (intense) than an AHL game for sure."

The Flames have another scrimmage scheduled for Wednesday, and Glencross said he expects that the intensity level to be ramped up yet another notch.

"We're not getting any exhibition games, so we have to take advantage of these scrimmages, because that's as close as we're going to get to game situations," Glencross said. "We've got to be ready to go when the puck drops. If it takes an intense scrimmage like that, that's what we've got to do."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413551

307mg00.jpg

#127 GototheFlamestotheGo

GototheFlamestotheGo

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:05 PM

^That makes me so happy! Mid-season form Kipper always gives the Flames a chance, no matter how crappy they are in all other aspects of their game. A real leader by example and if he can get the Flames roaring out of the gate then anything can happen.

#128 SterlingArcher

SterlingArcher

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:47 AM

pretty sick stop he made on horak
Posted Image
Posted Image-Mod note: Inappropriate

#129 Canucks_fo_life

Canucks_fo_life

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,562 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:16 AM

The Hockey News prediction for this season

12th - Calgary Flames

Why: The Flames are your prototypical bubble team - too good to bottom out, not good enough to guarantee a playoff spot. The backbone of the team - Jarome Iginla and Miikka Kiprusoff - are just getting older and without anyone else to lead the charge, Calgary seems to be moving further and further away from a No. 8 seed. Patchwork was done via the free agent market, but overpaying for marginal talent isn't what the doctor ordered for this team. Until they decide to rebuild, the flames will be headed in the wrong direction.

This is OUR year

#130 frazzY

frazzY

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:46 AM

I got Iggy and Cammy in my draft pool! They better continue that chemistry from before lol!

Go Canucks Go!

Also got Hank, booth, kassian, garrison! BOOM

Edited by frazzY, 15 January 2013 - 02:46 AM.

#131 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,366 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:22 AM

Just wanna say good luck to the Flames this year(not too much though). Hopefully we can have some good battles this year. And as always, I hope we can get a playoff matchup together and get this rivalry fired up once again!!
Posted Image

#132 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:36 PM

Just wanna say good luck to the Flames this year(not too much though). Hopefully we can have some good battles this year. And as always, I hope we can get a playoff matchup together and get this rivalry fired up once again!!

With a 2 man forechecking system in place I think we'll see more intense games this years :)

3499h5x.jpg

Edler, Markstrom, Hansen, 2nd round pick 2014 to Islanders for Ryan Strome, 5th overall pick 2014

#133 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68,317 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

Tanguay back at centre after 13 years in the league:

CALGARY -- When Alex Tanguay broke into the NHL with the Colorado Avalanche back in 1999 he had two options.

He could switch from his natural centre position and play left-wing on a line with Joe Sakic, or he could watch from the press box.

"I became a left-wing then and I've been that ever since," said Tanguay, who was also behind Peter Forsberg and Stephane Yelle on Colorado's depth chart at centre. "It was fun for me to get to watch some of the best players. I knew I wasn't going to play that position so I made the adjustment."

Bob Hartley, who was Colorado's coach at the time, recalled that he initially tried Tanguay out at centre a few times during practice.

"But we had so many options with Joe and Forsberg," said Hartley, who was reunited with Tanguay when he signed on to coach the Calgary Flames late last May. "He was a young kid coming in with no NHL experience. To be on Joe's wing was not a bad thing a better being on the left-wing than eating popcorn upstairs."

Now, 13 seasons later, Hartley made the decision to put Tanguay back at centre for the first three days of Flames training camp.

"It's been a while since I played centre," said Tanguay, who won a Stanley Cup with Hartley in Colorado in 2001. "I used to play it in juniors (with the Halifax Mooseheads of the QMJHL). I know how to play it. It's going to take a little bit of time and I'm going to take as many days as possible to hopefully be ready."

With Calgary's home opener slated for this Sunday against the San Jose Sharks, that doesn't leave much time.

"I'm looking forward to the next few days of practice and hopefully I can improve and get better," Tanguay said. "I did some video with the coaches on the centre position and what to do and what not to do.

"I'm looking forward to the challenge. It's a great opportunity and we'll see how it goes."

Curtis Glencross has been impressed with how much improvement Tanguay has shown so far.

"Obviously, it's not something that he's going to be an expert at overnight," said Glencross, who has played left-wing on Tanguay's line all three days. "It's going to take a little bit and every day he's better and better. Alex has such good vision of the ice and he's such a smart player.

"He doesn't really get himself in too many problems. A good player like that can manoeuvre between different positions really easily."

Blake Comeau played on Calgary's top line the first two days before Hartley decided to put Lee Stempniak in the right-wing spot on Wednesday.

"I think he's a natural," Stempniak said of Tanguay. "You just get your stick down and try to get open and more often than not, he'll find you, which is a lot of fun for someone who likes to shoot the puck."

Of course, captain Jarome Iginla is pencilled in to play on the top
line once he has recovered from his groin injury.

"I think Iggy's spot is pretty secure," Stempniak said.

If all goes well, Iginla could make his debut at Flames training camp on Wednesday.

"He's doing so well that he's begging me to let him on the ice," Hartley said. "Tomorrow morning, he's going to come in, we're going to test him in the gym and if everything feels good, he's going to be on the ice."

For the third straight day, Mikael Backlund centred Calgary's second line between left-winger Sven Baertschi and right-winger Michael Cammalleri.

"I like the chemistry," Hartley said. "It seems that Cammy is having fun with the two kids. It's a good leadership role for Cammy."

That being said, Hartley added that he might switch things up a bit before Calgary's season starts on Sunday.

"If there's one thing about me, I'm not scared to change my lines, so you never know," he said.

The Flames are still uncertain as to whether forward Jiri Hudler will make it back in time for Calgary's first game.

Hudler's father, Jiri Hudler Sr., passed away on Monday and his funeral will take place this Friday in Olomouc, Czech Republic.

"He has bigger things on his mind," Hartley said. "He'll take care of his family. He'll do what's right."

Once Hudler returns from the Czech Republic, Hartley said everyone in the Flames' organization will show their support as best as they can.

"We always try to say the right things to make sure that he feels good, but more importantly that he knows that we're with him," Hartley said.

http://www.tsn.ca/nh...rce=twitterfeed

307mg00.jpg

#134 jordo23

jordo23

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:59 PM

Goin to be same story different year for the flames. Goin to be in the hunt only to miss by a couple points and get a mid pick while they could tear it down and get a top 5 pick seeing how this draft has a pretty solid prospects. Also what's with cervenka I have a feeling he isn't going to live up to the hype of being a topsix player. If I was a flames fan I'd be worried about getting nothing for Iginla if he leaves to persuit a cup and come to Vancouver. Wouldn't that be funny would flames hate the canucks with iggy lol.

I think part of the new CBA is that any team that finishes out of the playoffs will have the same chance of getting the first overall pick. Set up to deter a "Kevin Lowe"

#135 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,941 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:04 PM

That's because no one was playing for the Heat lol? All the top players got called up for camp

Sven, the Heat have lost 7 of 10 - and the sad Wolves were without their best as well. Don't make excuses - time is long overdue for Flames fans to face the hard, cold reality.

Feaster hasn't really rebuilt anything.

But to be honest, I'd rather be the Flames than the Leafs...

The Flames have some players I really like - can't say that about the Leafs.

If it were me I'd pick a core of Kipper, Giordano, Glencross, Baetschi - and otherwise, open the gates - but I'm not attached like a Flames fan. This year will be a real tough one becaue obviously it is unavoidable - Iginla is a UFA at year's end - what now?

Edited by oldnews, 15 January 2013 - 08:24 PM.

#136 Mustapha

Mustapha

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,871 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

I would say the only 2 people who like Kipper more than Flames fans are Hank and Dank - traditionally they light that guy up on a regular basis.

Seriously though,

Kiprusoff gets a lot of wins( he also plays a lot of games), but his environment dictates his play more than people realize. When Keenan was coaching Calgary, his personal stats deteriorated noticeably, and he thrives better under a defensive system (which many goalies do - see Mike Smith who had nearly identical numbers to Kipper in the regular season last year) and Elliott/Halak in St.L )

Goalies tend to struggle when taken from a defensive system to more open one - Bryzgalov's play between Phoenix and Philly is a great example. I don't know if Bryzgalov was that much worse necessarily, but there were second and third chances that a team like Phoenix or St. Louis wouldn't allow another team to have. Those chances can destroy a goalie's numbers. (This doesn't take into account that horrid PIT/PHI series where goaltending WAS deplorable on both sides)

Kiprusoff's greatest asset is that he has been durable - because Calgary has yet to develop another goalie in their system since acquiring him nearly a decade ago. If he does get injured, Calgary will be in trouble. They have no one in their system who they could rely on for an extended period of time. They just don't play enough at the NHL level.
Posted Image

What are you talking about? The Flames are one of the teams that gets good value contracts

#137 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,941 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:33 PM

Cammalleri, and now Tanguay as well, pretending to be centers?

Posted Image

not lookin so bad now, is he?

Edited by oldnews, 17 January 2013 - 08:35 PM.

#138 Canucks_fo_life

Canucks_fo_life

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,562 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:58 AM

TSN NHL season preview show has Calgary finishing 14th in the West

This is OUR year

#139 canuck2xtreme

canuck2xtreme

Canucks All-Star

• Assistant to Regional Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,968 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:04 AM

So who gets the backup job? Irving or Karlsson?

CDCGML Commissioner/Winnipeg Jets <---Click For Roster!
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Support Canuck Place Childrens Hospice - http://www.canuckplace.org/

This is what hockey should be. A lot of chances, a lot of hitting, no cheap shots, no chirping after whistles."

#140 SterlingArcher

SterlingArcher

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:17 AM

Irving
Posted Image
Posted Image-Mod note: Inappropriate

#141 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,749 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

There's a lot of talk about the Flames improving. But, like TSN and The Hockey News, I just don't see it. If anything, I'd suggest that they're going to tank hard, and blow it up at the deadline.

I'm not a Flames hater, or a Canucks homer, I just see real warning signs. Here are six of them:

1) Calgary leans hard on Iginla. But Jarome took a step back last year, and this year he's a year older, and starting out injured. On top of that he's a slow starter. In the first 25 games of last season he only had 7 goals - on pace for 23 - but finished with 32. (The year before he had only 3 goals in his first 17 games, but then caught on fast to finish with 43.) The thing is, 25 games now is over half the season. And this time he doesn't even have a full camp or preseason games to help him get in the swing of things. I predict that Iginla will have his worst season to date statistically (even when prorated to 82 games).

2) Jokinen was a solid center for Calgary in the last couple of years. He played very well defensively (quite a culture shift for him), and scored his share of points. When you're a team that struggles for offense, losing your 2nd leading scorer, who scored 25% more points than your 3rd leading scorer, that is generally not going to work in your favor. What's the solution? Cervenka? A guy who has never played in the NHL, or even the North American game? The chances of him providing what Jokinen did are slim at best.

3) Where did Calgary have the most success last season? In their own division. They went 15-6-3 against the NW. But this year, the NW will be a lot stronger. Particularly Minnesota, whom they went 4-0-2 against, to get 10 out of a possible 12 points.

4) The Flames have been the worst team in the league for faceoffs. Now they've ditched their top center, are centering their top line with a winger who hasn't played center in 13 years. Their coach favors a puck possession game you say? This could get ugly.

5) For the same reason people say the Oilers will start so well - team familiar with each other - the Flames will likely not. New coaches usually take time to get to their team, players need to adjust. What Hitchcock did in St. Louis is an anomaly. Remember how brutal Vancouver was the first couple of months under AV? And the Flames will not have a full training camp and preseason to help them either.

6) The second reason people say the Oilers have an advantage is their youth will help them compete in a condensed season, with lots of games played over a short time period. The Flames, with the oldest top-6 in the league, will be at a severe disadvantage here. They have already shown a lack of ability to compete in the 2nd game of back-to-backs, going 2-4-4 last season, and 4-6-2 the year before. This year the key players are all older. They have eight back-to-backs in these 48 games, which is 1/6 of the season. And there is less time between the rest of the games too.
Posted Image

#142 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:55 AM

Good analysis D-Money

Further to your point about Iginla: I don't see how he is supposed to produce without a real centre.
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#143 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,941 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

There's a lot of talk about the Flames improving. But, like TSN and The Hockey News, I just don't see it. If anything, I'd suggest that they're going to tank hard, and blow it up at the deadline.

I'm not a Flames hater, or a Canucks homer, I just see real warning signs. Here are six of them:

1) Calgary leans hard on Iginla. But Jarome took a step back last year, and this year he's a year older, and starting out injured. On top of that he's a slow starter. In the first 25 games of last season he only had 7 goals - on pace for 23 - but finished with 32. (The year before he had only 3 goals in his first 17 games, but then caught on fast to finish with 43.) The thing is, 25 games now is over half the season. And this time he doesn't even have a full camp or preseason games to help him get in the swing of things. I predict that Iginla will have his worst season to date statistically (even when prorated to 82 games).

2) Jokinen was a solid center for Calgary in the last couple of years. He played very well defensively (quite a culture shift for him), and scored his share of points. When you're a team that struggles for offense, losing your 2nd leading scorer, who scored 25% more points than your 3rd leading scorer, that is generally not going to work in your favor. What's the solution? Cervenka? A guy who has never played in the NHL, or even the North American game? The chances of him providing what Jokinen did are slim at best.

3) Where did Calgary have the most success last season? In their own division. They went 15-6-3 against the NW. But this year, the NW will be a lot stronger. Particularly Minnesota, whom they went 4-0-2 against, to get 10 out of a possible 12 points.

4) The Flames have been the worst team in the league for faceoffs. Now they've ditched their top center, are centering their top line with a winger who hasn't played center in 13 years. Their coach favors a puck possession game you say? This could get ugly.

5) For the same reason people say the Oilers will start so well - team familiar with each other - the Flames will likely not. New coaches usually take time to get to their team, players need to adjust. What Hitchcock did in St. Louis is an anomaly. Remember how brutal Vancouver was the first couple of months under AV? And the Flames will not have a full training camp and preseason to help them either.

6) The second reason people say the Oilers have an advantage is their youth will help them compete in a condensed season, with lots of games played over a short time period. The Flames, with the oldest top-6 in the league, will be at a severe disadvantage here. They have already shown a lack of ability to compete in the 2nd game of back-to-backs, going 2-4-4 last season, and 4-6-2 the year before. This year the key players are all older. They have eight back-to-backs in these 48 games, which is 1/6 of the season. And there is less time between the rest of the games too.

Very good points D-Mo.
But don't tell King - he has them contending to win the Northwest haha.

I just don't see how things get any better for the Flames.

They needed a center last year - Feaster got them a flashy little winger.

They lose even more depth when their top center signs elsewhere - they tell themselves that small winger conversions will do at C.

Cammalleri 190 wet
Hudler 186
Cervenka 185

I always found the hate for Jokinen rather odd - clearly their best center, produced well, played injured, bargain cap hit and all they did was complain about the guy.

Thankfully they have the equalizer, Kipper.
But I feel awful for Iginla. Set the guy free and get some value for him before it's too late for either Iginla or the Flames.

Edited by oldnews, 18 January 2013 - 12:40 PM.

#144 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

Don't get the old team argument. The Oilers have just as many players over 30 than the Flames. Even though they have more "young stars", we have veterans that have proven they can contribute at the NHL level and youngsters like Sven and Backlund who's looked great at camp. The 5 oldest teams made the playoffs last year while the 5 youngest teams missed.

Jokinen, while he improved his defensive play the last couple years, was inconsistent and never in the Flames' plan going forward. Tanguay was drafted as a center and has all the tools to be a good center in the NHL. Faceoffs aren't easy and will make me cringe to watch but Iggy has always been strong on the draws so he will take the ones on his side for sure. Backlund is finally put into a situation where he can succeed, in the top 6 with Sven and Cammy, and he will surprise a lot of people this year. The improved depth allows Hartley to put offensive players like Hudler and Cervenka with Stajan. Much like Backlund, Stajan was never really given a fair chance under Butter. While he's not a player that will carry his line, he's a good complimentary player that will produce if given the proper linemates as shown during his time in TO and the end of last season, helps that he's good on the draws and defensively sound as well.

Flames were 8th against the West teams last year with something like 11 SO losses. While some teams improved, some didn't. The additions this summer did nothing but improve the team. With a coach that's dedicated to details and wants to play a team game, I'm looking forward to this season.

Edited by Sven Baertschi, 18 January 2013 - 01:43 PM.

3499h5x.jpg

#145 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,941 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

Don't get the old team argument. The Oilers have just as many players over 30 than the Flames. Even though they have more "young stars", we have veterans that have proven they can contribute at the NHL level and youngsters like Sven and Backlund who's looked great at camp. The 5 oldest teams made the playoffs last year while the 5 youngest teams missed.

Jokinen, while he improved his defensive play the last couple years, was inconsistent and never in the Flames' plan going forward. Tanguay was drafted as a center and has all the tools to be a good center in the NHL. Faceoffs aren't easy and will make me cringe to watch but Iggy has always been strong on the draws so he will take the ones on his side for sure. Backlund is finally put into a situation where he can succeed, in the top 6 with Sven and Cammy, and he will surprise a lot of people this year. The improved depth allows Hartley to put offensive players like Hudler and Cervenka with Stajan. Much like Backlund, Stajan was never really given a fair chance under Butter. While he's not a player that will carry his line, he's a good complimentary player that will produce if given the proper linemates as shown during his time in TO and the end of last season, helps that he's good on the draws and defensively sound as well.

Flames were 8th against the West teams last year with something like 11 SO losses. While some teams improved, some didn't. The additions this summer did nothing but improve the team. With a coach that's dedicated to details and wants to play a team game, I'm looking forward to this season.

I don't think anyone is calling them an old team Sven. It's simply, as you know, that there two best players are.
I've never agreed with moving KIpper or Iginla, but I think Feaster has failed with the whole rebuild-on-the-go thing - and now they are at a point where the writing is on the wall - they are not going to win anything at the end of the Kipper/Iginla era. I can't see them getting very far with that group of 'centers'. I'm not sold on the Wideman signing - the Flames competition in the Northwest have improved more than they have. I hate to say it, but let Iginla compete for a Cup - get something valuable for him for the future and respect what he's done for the team. Same with Kipper. If you love them, let them go. I think the trade deadline will be a huge turning point for the Flames, one way or the other.

Edited by oldnews, 18 January 2013 - 02:03 PM.

#146 GototheFlamestotheGo

GototheFlamestotheGo

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

Great points as usual, D-Money.

I do agree that Iggy will likely have a slow start again and will have his worst statistical season yet, though I would blame that not on his natural deterioration but on the major adjustment that'll be going on in the top line centre position. In all the interviews, Tanguay has been at best apprehensive about his move to centre, stating time and time again that it is a major adjustment and that it will take time for him for the position to become second nature to him; time that the Flames do not have this year.

I'm also feeling that the high tempo, offensive-minded game is going to bring down Kipper's stats as well. I think the main reason for this will be tied to the fact that they'll be trying to play a puck possession game without any faceoff ability, thereby resulting in a lot of chasing and breakdowns in defensive positioning. I firmly believe that Kipper will still be solid and will make those clutch saves as he has done his entire career and give them a chance every night. His stats will likely be poorer though since I predict the D to be more porous this year, which isn't a good sign considering how porous they were last year. That said, if their goal output can make up for the defensive liabilities, something that didn't happen last season, then this could be a wash.

The one positive for me is that Backlund and Baertschi are playing well and are being given offensive zone time and PP time. This, especially the latter point, did not happen at all under Butter. Yes, Backs was far and away the team's best defensive centre last season and had the highest percentage of D-zone starts, but he is an offensive minded player and Hartley is finally giving him that opportunity. And all the reports from the training camp is that Backlund is playing a more aggressive offensive game and isn't afraid to cut to the slot and make space for himself and his linemates, which is a great sign considering that he's playing with Sven and Cammy on his wings. The strength of that second line could be a major positive.

I honestly don't see any issues with why the media are expecting the Flames to absolutely tank this season. They are surrounded by question marks and very few sure-fire positives this season. Clearly the underdog but if they are able to play the 2 forechecker, up-tempo game and forecheck the crap out of the opposition, then they could make some noise. If not, they'll atleast play an exciting brand of hockey.

#147 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

I'm also feeling that the high tempo, offensive-minded game is going to bring down Kipper's stats as well.

I wonder if it could help J-Bo's though?
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#148 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,749 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

Don't get the old team argument. The Oilers have just as many players over 30 than the Flames.

Are you really saying because the age of your key players is the same as another team's depth guys, it's not an issue? Big minutes in a consensed schedule will definitely take it's toll more on older players.

The main reason it's an issue is because of Iginla. He already looked like he lost a step last year. Now he's 35, has less time than ever to get to speed, and is already injured. But he's the only real, consistent threat on the Flames - he alone has had to provide 16.5% of their goals for the last 3 years.
Posted Image

#149 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

Are you really saying because the age of your key players is the same as another team's depth guys, it's not an issue? Big minutes in a consensed schedule will definitely take it's toll more on older players.

The main reason it's an issue is because of Iginla. He already looked like he lost a step last year. Now he's 35, has less time than ever to get to speed, and is already injured. But he's the only real, consistent threat on the Flames - he alone has had to provide 16.5% of their goals for the last 3 years.

And that's why Feaster got more depth by getting Hudler and Cervenka, and putting Sven on the team. Every team is in the same situation with all its older players. Iggy is always in great condition and he's going to see a lot of ice right off the bat to get used to game speed.

Edited by Sven Baertschi, 18 January 2013 - 02:18 PM.

3499h5x.jpg

#150 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,749 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

And that's why Feaster got more depth by getting Hudler and Cervenka, and putting Sven on the team. Every team is in the same situation with all its older players. Iggy is always in great condition and he's going to see a lot of ice right off the bat to get used to game speed.

No, no team is in the same situation with it's older players, because no other team relies on a 35 year-old for over 16% of their goals.

Other than Martin St. Louis and the Bolts, no other team plays a forward as old as Iginla for over 20 minutes a game.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.