The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Signing) Canucks sign Cam Barker, 1 yr - $700 K

vancanfan

I agree with most here, this is a low risk medium reward signing. He has to tools to regain his form and is humbled by getting a second chance.

Only concerns i have about him is:

Is his alcohol issues over. My second cousin had issues with alcohol after he was drafted and only played 3 games in the NHL because of it (He was highly touted with still owning the current record for most points by a defenceman for the Peterborough Petes (109))

Will he try too hard to impress everyone or will he do what the canuck system says and play a depth defender.

We are really close to the contract limit (49 of 50) assuming we get 2 players from the luongo trade, what do we do about our need of a 2nd center (assuming we get prospects instead of a centerman)

I like it for the price, he has so much more upside, also he's still only 26. If he can get his s*** together it could be a better deal than we could imagine.

I have a feeling that its not Tanev on the books to be traded. Edler still hasnt resigned and there is no guarantee that he won't chase the money. If Errorhoff can get 2+ mil over what we were offering, don't be surprised if Edler doesn't want to cash in also. The cup window is closing and if it means packaging up a top d man and a top goaltender to finally fill some major holes in our lineup at the sacrifice for one D man, I'm all over it.

I was a huge fan of Barker during the world juniors, but he's basically struggled through his entire NHL career other than his one 40 point season. I hope he does well. I love Mike Gillis for this because 1. it is a very good deal and 2. it was so unexpected. Good Job, and Good Luck Barker!

I agree with most here, this is a low risk medium reward signing. He has to tools to regain his form and is humbled by getting a second chance.

Only concerns i have about him is:

Is his alcohol issues over. My second cousin had issues with alcohol after he was drafted and only played 3 games in the NHL because of it (He was highly touted with still owning the current record for most points by a defenceman for the Peterborough Petes (109))

Will he try too hard to impress everyone or will he do what the canuck system says and play a depth defender.

We are really close to the contract limit (49 of 50) assuming we get 2 players from the luongo trade, what do we do about our need of a 2nd center (assuming we get prospects instead of a centerman)

Perfect replacement for Aaron Rome on the bottom pair with Tanev.

They just need him to be steady. AV will probably give him a chance to overtake Ballard and Alberts on the depth chart but it will be hard without pre-season games.

Most likely he will play as a rotational guy when somebody needs a rest with the travel being so compressed.

Your point is ???? retarded.

Former AHLers on our NHL roster:

Burrows, Kesler, Booth, Higgins, Hansen, Malhotra, Lapierre, Kassian, Raymond, Volpatti, Weise, Ebbett, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler, Garrison, Tanev, Ballard, Barker, Luongo, Schneider

Basically the only current Canucks who didn't play in the AHL at the start of their career was the Sedins (and Alberts, who only played 14 AHL games :lol: )

He's going to be in the AHL very very soon. Unless 2 huge injuries hit the team, he's going to play for the Wolves. This looks more like Baumgartner's replacement, as our farm hasn't really looked the same since he retired.

Archived