The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Gomez

You've described that very poorly and are talking about if a team were to pick him up off of waivers. What would happen if he is bought out is he would pass waivers to complete the buy out of his contract and then be available as a UFA.

Montreal uses their amnesty buy out and then puts him on waivers to clear his contract. They still pay his salary fas they would in a regular buyout, and they also have his cap hit for this season still counting against their cap, minus $900K if passing through the AHL on the way.

From there, he is a UFA and any team can sign him. Whatever the new SPC details are, is what the player is paid by the new team and what the cap hit is for them. They aren't affected in any way by the buyout.

I was typing it exactly how Bob McKenzie spoke it, word for word pretty much, you can watch it in an hour, they talk about Gomez ten minutes into the show.

Yeah that is if he is picked up, but Bob also did say that next summer, he is still due 3/4 of his current salary, not sure who would pay that, but that is to be paid in the summer of 2014.

Honestly, he's done nothing for Montreal. I'd give him 700K TOPS. 600-650K is fine with me. I just don't want this guy to crap up another one of my teams. Sure he has hands but, there's just not that spark. And if you were him would you really want to make an extra 700k to play, when you could just sit at home and get paid 7 million?

I was typing it exactly how Bob McKenzie spoke it, word for word pretty much, you can watch it in an hour, they talk about Gomez ten minutes into the show.

Yeah that is if he is picked up, but Bob also did say that next summer, he is still due 3/4 of his current salary, not sure who would pay that, but that is to be paid in the summer of 2014.

At 7+ million Gomez is not worth getting. At somewhere around 1 million though especially when putting him into a system like ours with shoot-first wingers? That is the very definition of a sleeper situation. He is still a skilled playmaker and puck possession center. Just not at 7 million bucks per year. The weight of that contract has been huge and he has played in two of the biggest and most harsh hockey cities in NY and MTL. About the only real risk at a million or less is if he can handle the pressure of playing in Van and raise his game. But at a million even if he can't is it a really big loss?

At the very least, how much better would our 2nd PP look even if that is the only place he ever played?

Risk/Reward, people......its the name of the game.

Archived