The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dale Weise - A Man To Watch

BleedCanucks

Good read about Dale Weise and the upcoming season: http://canucklepuck....er/BlogEntry/19

Excerpt:

...Dale Weise is a forgotten man for many Canucks fans. The only lasting memories of Weise’s 2011/12 NHL season, outside of one beautiful drive to the net goal against Ottawa, consist of Weise acting as a human punching bag. While Weise is certainly a horrible fighter (at least he’s willing to jump in there for his teammates though right?), there is more the Canucks rugged fourth line right winger than meets the eye...

Not much in the way of expectations for him, but perhaps he chips in a little more if he does find himself in the odd offensive situation now and then. For what he gets paid, and that he's a 4th line winger, he has a reasonable skill level and can play responsible hockey. He's not a complete punching bag either, just not a particularly good fighter.

i believe in vigneaults scrum yesterday, when asked about the forward depth and injuries of the team, he began listing off a handful of players who he expected to step up. "higgins, raymond, hansen etc. etc. (pause).. dale weise." a telling pause, perhaps, but make of that what you will.

I had a buddy who played in the Dutch Pro league more than 10 years ago...if the quality of play hasn't improved in the Dutch Pro League in that time, then I wouldn't put too much stock on Weise's production overseas.

My buddy was an average Junior B player in the AJHL(same league as Mason Raymond's Camrose Kodiaks) but lit up the Dutch League (almost 2 points per game). Though he can skate circles around me, he's now a slug playing in a fairly competitive oldtimers league in Calgary (thankfully he's got a good job as an engineer).

Realistically, if Weise can "double his rate of output" by scoring 8 points again this season, I would call it a huge success.

Weise will play on the 4th line. with Malhotra. and another banger. usually on for defensive draws. for maybe 10 minutes a game.

His role is to eat up tough minutes and keep puck out of net and bring physicality. I don't care if he has 0 points. If he can do his job well, then he's earned his money.

He is only 24 and ironically he came onto a pretty good season after he didn't have Volpatti to try and out-check.

When Volpatti got injured he seemed to play with less pressure. I liked him in the Boston game too.

Archived