The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Ryan O'Reilly still in Russia, available soon?

D-Money

The only way I can see Gillis acquiring O'Reilly is via offersheet. And possibly letting O'Reilly know that he has interest in bringing his brother in (a la Sweatt & Westerholm cases) when there's an opportunity.

Bringing in O'Reilly at 5.25 million a year, then moving Raymond + Ballard for cap space. Ballard to Barker/K-Con/Alberts/Vandermeer on the bottom pairing is a drop off, but O'Reilly would help the defensive game quite a bit. And a 4.2 million dollar 5th defenseman is kind of a bad use of cap space in itself.

The problem I see is he'd be making more than Kesler.. would that create some kind of locker room drama? Is 5.25 million too much for a 3rd line center? Would Kesler become the 3rd line center?

The only way I can see Gillis acquiring O'Reilly is via offersheet. And possibly letting O'Reilly know that he has interest in bringing his brother in (a la Sweatt & Westerholm cases) when there's an opportunity.

Bringing in O'Reilly at 5.25 million a year, then moving Raymond + Ballard for cap space. Ballard to Barker/K-Con/Alberts/Vandermeer on the bottom pairing is a drop off, but O'Reilly would help the defensive game quite a bit. And a 4.2 million dollar 5th defenseman is kind of a bad use of cap space in itself.

The problem I see is he'd be making more than Kesler.. would that create some kind of locker room drama? Is 5.25 million too much for a 3rd line center? Would Kesler become the 3rd line center?

Would O'Reilly sign with a team where he'd be 3rd line center though?

He was 1st on the Avs in points last year, remember? He's probably looking to be a top-6 player...

Booth - O'Reilly - Kesler

Higgins - Lapierre - Hansen/Kassian

Is still a killer top-6 though and there would be lots of flexibility when it came to line-ups

For those saying that we could or should get him, you guys are truly wrong. Would it be nice to have him and have 4 awesome centers, Sedin, Kesler, OReilly, Lapierre. YES it would be absolutely awesome! But if he comes here it'll be like a Cody Hodgson situation. O'Reilly is a 2nd line center for sure even 1st on some teams. If he comes to VAN, he will be 3rd line center at best when Kesler returns. I would think he would know that and would not come here because of this.

For those saying that we could or should get him, you guys are truly wrong. Would it be nice to have him and have 4 awesome centers, Sedin, Kesler, OReilly, Lapierre. YES it would be absolutely awesome! But if he comes here it'll be like a Cody Hodgson situation. O'Reilly is a 2nd line center for sure even 1st on some teams. If he comes to VAN, he will be 3rd line center at best when Kesler returns. I would think he would know that and would not come here because of this.

never say never :D

They are thin on the blueline, i think given the opporuinity, Ballard is a top 4 on their defence.

I dont know if Gaunce count as a high end prospect but does something like Gaunce + Ballard + Malhotra for his rights seem fair?

Then offer him 5 years 20m.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Raymond - Kesler - Booth

Higgins - O'Reilly - Hansen

Weise - Lappiere - Kassian

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Garrison

Barker - Tanev

Preety solid lineup.

I wonder if DeNiro wouldn't want this guy because he's still in Russia? Heck, even longer than Kulikov was!!

O'Reilly had a huge improvement offensively last year, and has 4 goals/6 points in 7 KHL games so far this year. Which tells me he could be a 60-65 point center with huge defensive capabilties not unlike Kesler.. not to mention O'Reilly is strong on his feet and hard to knock off the puck.

I agree with D-Money, the Canucks likely don't have the expendable assets for the Avs, I would think they'd be looking for a defenseman or maybe a replacement center (Statsny - Duchene - ______ - Mitchell). If they ARE looking for a defenseman, MAYBE Tanev could be part of the deal, but how much value does he really hold in comparison?

Tanev, _________ + a 1st for O'Reilly?

But, I think a center is more prudent. If you look at the Avs after game 1 they basically only had 2 guys taking draws..RO took more faceoffs in general that any other player on their team last year.

Archived