130 replies to this topic

#31 Conscience

Conscience

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:48 PM

I read it as a player involved that no one is talking about (i.e. not Bjugstad or Kadri or Bozak but someone else). The Caps I still don't see unless they've decided they don't have faith in their young goalies.

Sounds like you didn't read the whole thing:

What about Bryz fits that quote? Excess salary, term and buy out all do. That pretty much rules out Bryz, DiPietro, Komisarek, Lecavalier or any of those types of players..

Not Bryz coming back, but that player that the other team has to do something with.
Dwight Schrute: Where is my desk?
Jim Halpert: That is weird.
Dwight Schrute: This is not funny. This is totally unprofessional.
Jim Halpert: Okay, well you're the one who lost the desk.
Dwight Schrute: I did not lose my desk!
Jim Halpert: Okay, calm down. Where was the last place you saw it?
Dwight Schrute: Okay, who moved my desk!
Jim Halpert: I think you should retrace your steps.

#32 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,400 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:51 PM

Luongo + Schroeder for Couturier

GET R DONE MG :emot-parrot:

#33 Soren5556

Soren5556

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

I'm thinking its talks with Tampa with St.Louis or Lecavalier coming back causing the excessive cap issues with some other pieces going each way of course

Edited by Soren5556, 21 January 2013 - 09:57 PM.

#34 Samuel Påhlsson

Samuel Påhlsson

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:07 PM

Key part. If it's not who anyone thinks it is, I doubt he's talking about Florida.

I could see it being the Capitals.

Ribs and Alzner for Lu?

Who knows... Doubt this gets solved anytime soon though.

SYvE9NH.gif

#35 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,457 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:11 PM

What kinda car u got? ::D

I'd bet my car it's Philly.

#36 Westcoasting

Westcoasting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:23 PM

Quick, Thomas were not Luongo-level hype machines when they won their Cups. They were confident goaltenders who stepped up when it mattered. Get guys with that kind of character and you will have success.

You mean the two time Vezina winner Thomas was not at Lui's level or do you mean Lui was hyped too much?

#37 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,745 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:25 PM

What kinda car u got? ::D

Lol, it ain't an Audi - let's put it that way.

But it's def Philly. They want Bryz gone, they already lost out on Weber and are looking at this summers UFA market (goalie d-men) and crapping themselves. I think the reason they're waiting on another player (according to Gillis) is to see if they can either trade Bryz or see if Laughton can play C in the NHL so they can trade Van a C.

#38 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:48 PM

I hope its the Capitals, then I would have no problem cheering for them and they are out of our way. I have been a caps fan for a while since Ovi.
Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#39 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:49 PM

Yea for some reason Washington popped into my head when I read that it was someone no one is talking about.

I would love to get Johansson or Carlson along with Holtby in a package. That would be a home run IMO.

Said this on the Lou thread

Lou, Ballard, Schroeder, 2nd

Johansen, Fillip Forsberg, Alnzer

#40 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:50 PM

I'm thinking its talks with Tampa with St.Louis or Lecavalier coming back causing the excessive cap issues with some other pieces going each way of course

lol St. Louis?! get real. TB is not in, they got Lindback and drafted Vashilevski.

I think a lot of people will be not happy with the trade. Teams aren't giving up guys like Carlson, Alzner, Coutrier are any other big name prospects. People are expecting way too much from a Luongo trade.

Edited by cmpunk, 21 January 2013 - 10:53 PM.

Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#41 Watsuko

Watsuko

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:51 PM

“We have a potential deal in place with one team that has to do something with another player that they have — and it’s not who anybody thinks it is — and so we have to wait. (But) we’ve been offered packages that don’t fit what our plan is, what we need,” said Gillis.

Obviously Maybe Florida waiting for Theodore to waive his NTC so we can get a player nobody expects?

im thinking NJ

#42 TotesMagotes

TotesMagotes

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,318 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:58 PM

My best guess would be Tampa, Luongo would be willing to go there, and you know Tampa would love to unload Lecavaliers contract. And I could see Gillis not wanting to take it.
Posted Image

#43 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,745 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:17 PM

If it is Philly, a C has to be coming back. They have an excess of them, and well - Ebbett hasn't worked so well and Schroeder doesn't have any NHL experience. Gillis has to want a C- practically every rumor out there has Gillis wanting a C. My guess is Couturier. It's obv not Giroux, he won't want Briere or Talbot, I don't think Holmgren deals Schenn after he just traded for his bro. Gotta be Couturier. Trust me, I know how that sounds - but I def have that feeling.

#44 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:25 PM

For Mike to even say that in a interview a deal must be real close. If it isn't, this is just going to add to the gong show and be more of a distraction.

It's just not like him to do that. That's why I'm thinking there may not be anything actually close, but more it may be just Gillis trying to warm up the trade market.

1zchaix.jpg

Always vigilant and on the lookout for Tiger Singh,The Stork, Shamu101, Mangoes, Cucumbers, Proballhockeyplayer, Dal Colle, DontTradeEdler, RespectYourEdlers23, D.T.E. and...

#45 dirk diggler

dirk diggler

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:49 PM

You mean the two time Vezina winner Thomas was not at Lui's level or do you mean Lui was hyped too much?

I mean Luongo carried way too much hype with him from the moment he arrived in Vancouver and it hurt him. The hype is bad. I wasn't making a comment on abilities (other than the inherent self-confidence both Quick and Thomas have and that Luongo lacks), just that both Quick and Thomas did not have the burden of hype (so it seemed). They were not their team's focus and just did their job, at the most important times. They became the focus at the moment it appeared they proved their value, which is healthy :)
"If I claim to be a wise man it surely means that I don't know..."

#46 dirk diggler

dirk diggler

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:53 PM

I mean Luongo carried way too much hype with him from the moment he arrived in Vancouver and it hurt him. The hype is bad. I wasn't making a comment on abilities (other than the inherent self-confidence both Quick and Thomas have and that Luongo lacks), just that both Quick and Thomas did not have the burden of hype (so it seemed). They were not their team's focus and just did their job, at the most important times. They became the focus at the moment it appeared they proved their value, which is healthy :)

This is why it is so important for Cory Schneider NOT to be hyped.
"If I claim to be a wise man it surely means that I don't know..."

#47 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,727 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:09 AM

This makes me feel like a deal is going to get done by the deadline. He's just waiting it out, he's Don Fehr'ing the other GM's.

#48 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,673 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:13 AM

Howson trying to move Mason...?

Luongo Ballard

Dubinsky Nikitin Savard 1st

Ballard and Nikitin make this a cap sensible deal for Vancouver.

#49 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,727 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:21 AM

Howson trying to move Mason...?

Luongo Ballard

Dubinsky Nikitin Savard 1st

Ballard and Nikitin make this a cap sensible deal for Vancouver.

Luongo has an NTC though. I think he would have to be drugged to waive it to go to a Nash-less Columbus team.

#50 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:28 AM

Said this on the Lou thread

Lou, Ballard, Schroeder, 2nd

Johansen, Fillip Forsberg, Alnzer

Riiiiiight, the Caps are really going to trade us three of their young core players for our high priced goalie, high priced 3rd pairing defenseman, a prospect and a 2nd round pick. Let me ask you, would you trade Jensen, Gaunce and Tanev for, say, Ilya Bryzgalov, Andrej Meszaros, Eric Wellwood and a 2nd? Exactly....

#51 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,673 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:58 AM

Luongo has an NTC though. I think he would have to be drugged to waive it to go to a Nash-less Columbus team.

They're better than the Leafs, with a brighter future - loaded with young blueliners and centers - and nowhere near the headache of playing in Toronto...

#52 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,653 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:12 AM

Watch it be Detroit, and we're waiting for Darren Helm to get healthy.

#53 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,260 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:15 AM

Hah. That would definitely be out of left field.

Filppula and Helm coming back our way?

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#54 stexx

stexx

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:20 AM

i love darren helm great player but no way detroit gives up both of them.

helm, ferraro?

#55 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,653 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:22 AM

Detroit is desperate to replace their back end with Lidstrom gone. Elite defense man are hard to find, their best bet is Brendan Smith. Jimmy Howard sucks in the playoffs and is a UFA after this year. McCollum isn't developing as they expected. Rebuilding isn't an option with Datsyk and Zetterberg getting older.

Would not be surprised if it's Luongo for Helm, Howard, and something else. Don't think Filppula make sense for either team.

Remember, there was a rumor swirling around that Detroit offered Datsyuk for Luongo back when Luongo was still in Florida.

Edited by Rey, 22 January 2013 - 01:27 AM.

#56 Zack_Kassians_Elbow

Zack_Kassians_Elbow

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:30 AM

People here focus too much on having the best goalie in the league. You don't need or want that and you can't predict it. Get yourself a solid, blue-collar workhorse who just does his job and focus on more important things like glaring missing pieces like big power forwards and more grinders.

Quick, Thomas were not Luongo-level hype machines when they won their Cups. They were confident goaltenders who stepped up when it mattered. Get guys with that kind of character and you will have success.

Actually in the years that Thomas and Quick won the cup they were both the BEST goaltenders in the league or at LEAST top 3. The last 2 stanley cup champs won because of world class goaltending. Also why on earth would we get more grinders when we can't even score goals, we need more SNIPERS who step up in the playoffs, not some big slow grinders.

#57 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,653 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:38 AM

Actually in the years that Thomas and Quick won the cup they were both the BEST goaltenders in the league or at LEAST top 3. The last 2 stanley cup champs won because of world class goaltending. Also why on earth would we get more grinders when we can't even score goals, we need more SNIPERS who step up in the playoffs, not some big slow grinders.

I honestly believe that people who still refer to players as "SNIPERS" are playing too much EA NHL. Reality, who cares if they are grinders or snipers? There are only a few legitimate Snipers in the NHL, and they are superstars and untouchable. Can you even name a sniper that can be acquired?

#58 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:53 AM

You know, it makes some sense on a few different levels. Holland isn't afraid of those contracts AT ALL, nor is he afraid of older goaltenders (Hasek & Cujo). The Babcock Olympics connection.

But omfg can you imagine the speed and checking ability of Helm & Hansen playing on the same line? Helm's $2.125m would fit in perfectly with our salary structure as well but I can't see Detroit parting with him, tbh.

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#59 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,471 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:56 AM

Can you even name a sniper that can be acquired?

Mason Raymond

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 22 January 2013 - 01:57 AM.

zackass.png

#60 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,457 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:09 AM

We have plenty of snipers; scoring 5th and first in the league the last two years. We've only lost Erhoff and Samuelsson; debatably we have replaced their scoring (prob not passing) prowess?

Our "snipers get bogged down in physical match ups they cant compete in is the primary cause. Missing a secondary play maker another possible reason why our scoring has dried up in the play-off's. Not a lack of "snipers."

I reckon a Dustin Brown bigger grinding winger or the puck control and passing of a Kovalev would create just enough room to get those extra shots for our snipers? They're not going to be available; who will be?

Now, those two names wont be available; who else creates this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.