The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

You do realize that the Maple Leafs have been very fast starters the prior two seasons, right? So if everything has to be status quo doesn't that mean they will go on a long winning streak right now?

Do you also realize that Vancouver had 1 more playoff win than TO last year?

There's only one winner each year, the rest are losers, and Vancouver was a loser just like TO.

It has a ton of speed though, and would likely be very solid defensively. I don't see it being that much softer than Chicago's third line of Versteeg - Bolland - Brouwer. Versteeg is soft, and Bolland isn't tough, he's just annoying.

We're not always going to need grit in the playoffs. Sometimes we'll get matchups where we'll need more scoring from the third, which is where the Raymond - Schroeder - Brouwer line would be more effective. Then in more physical matchups we could play the Higgins - Lapierre - Hansen line, or load it up and have a Higgins - Lapierre - Brouwer line. Either way, I think its good to have the option of having more grit with the addition of Brouwer.

Well, my reasoning is that Rodin needs some size and experience to insulate him and he's been more successful as a passer than a shooter at the AHL level so far. In this entirely hypothetical scenario (which is completely unrealistic since it's basically projecting a 100% success rate in terms of prospect development), I'm trying to spread out the talent instead of loading up one line. Gaunce is a prototypical checking line centre, imo, hence having him anchor the third line (which has historically been known as a "shutdown" line).

Fair enough, not trying to criticize you too heavily if I came across that way.

I agree on Rodin, although I think he has an adept defensive game to be a solid 3rd liner aswell, and I disagree on Gaunce, he uses his size kind of like Kassian does and he has a really nice wrist shot. Can also play LW as suggested in mine.

I'm kind of disappointed about some of the trade proposals in this thread, after that dominant performance last night I was riding a high, but you all seem to think we need to revamp the roster.

We are extremely deep. At this point we do not need roster players, if we have secondary scoring like we do now without Kesler or Booth in the lineup, on top of having a strong D core, I don't really see a place where we need to improve. I say keep Luongo in the shortened season, it adds greatly to the stability of this roster, when our back up plays the rest of the team doesn't have to compensate.

We don't need another left d (Gardiner), as we have 5 that are more than capable. We don't need another centre (Johansson), as he would be forced into a third line role behind Sedin and Kesler. We don't need another winger, as the options we have with Hansen, Higgins, Burrows, Raymond, Kassian, and Booth are plentiful. In all honesty I can't see how a rookie or young player from a worse team crack our roster.

I also don't like the idea of messing with the chemistry we have in the locker room right now. Every one knows their role, and if we were to acquire someone that could bump one of our current guys down the depth chart I feel that hurts the composition of our roster. For example, last year with the Hodgson trade and the acquisition of Pahlsson, we moved from having 3 scoring lines to 2 and a checking line. Trying to construct a checking line with 20 games left in the season, I felt hurt us badly heading into the playoffs - where we needed secondary scoring.

So let's not trade Luongo for anything that could damage our current composition, trade him for prospects and picks. We will have to get under the cap next year anyway, might as well start with some potential ELCs.

Better than a 2.5 million dollar fourth liner.

Malhotra and Raymond likely won't be re-signed, so that's your cap space right there.

This may be one of our last few good chances at a cup. We need something to help us go for it now, plus something for the future.

Your just plain wrong, you can say we were beaten up against Boston, but we scored a grand total of 8 goals in 7 games, and the Sedins were in on atleast 5 or 6 of them. And once again the Boston series is overplayed, the only time we didn't match there physicality is after the whistle, check the stats sheets, we probably had 3 or more games where we had just as many hits as they did, the Boston point again being overplayed.

The very important point that you are missing is that we don't lack offense at all. We have been amongst the highest scoring teams in the league for the past several years. Our bread and butter is outscoring the opposition. It is simply the facts and not opinion.

With the exact same roster that is chock full of offense, we can't score goals in some of our playoff rounds. It is not that we don't have offence... it is that they are unable to make their offensive plays suddenly. You need to consider why that is. It is because they are played much more physically and don't have the room to make fancy, skilled plays.

The counter to that and the way to make room is to have more physical players... it is not to add another non-physical offensive player who will also not have room to make his plays. You have to build a balanced team that complements each other... not just try to throw the guys who score the most goals all together and hope for the best.

Our team is in need to a reasonably talented and very physical player on our 3rd line who is capable of playing meaningful minutes. Someone in the mold of a Chris Neil/Clutterbuck. He makes room for our skilled guys and has the added benefit of taking away room from the opposition's skilled players.

The other addition required to complement our existing guys is to find a very mean right hand D who punishes opposing forwards who want to dipsy doodle around our zone. If Ballard is the guy who dishes out the hardest hits on your D... you are in a little bit of trouble. I say that as someone who has been defending Ballard since he got here. He is doing everything he can to help the team but is a little miscast as our tough 3rd pairing guy.

I'd love to see Chris Neil or Clutterbuck on the roster as well. I'd be hesitant to move Raymond for them - would prefer to offer futures which likely wouldn't get a deal done. I also wouldn't mind the Canucks going after a young player like Patrice Cormier who hasn't yet caught on the Jets roster.

You do realize that the Maple Leafs have been very fast starters the prior two seasons, right? So if everything has to be status quo doesn't that mean they will go on a long winning streak right now?

Do you also realize that Vancouver had 1 more playoff win than TO last year?

There's only one winner each year, the rest are losers, and Vancouver was a loser just like TO.

and are those 2 years where he's probably not worth it (39/40) where you pay him what 6 million total more than what he's worth not worth making the playoffs for 4-5 years? having a run? and what if he's still able, look at brodeur 3ga in 4 games at 41

so what now? hmm...

I'd love to see Chris Neil or Clutterbuck on the roster as well. I'd be hesitant to move Raymond for them - would prefer to offer futures which likely wouldn't get a deal done. I also wouldn't mind the Canucks going after a young player like Patrice Cormier who hasn't yet caught on the Jets roster.

Archived