Well the saga continues, and the landscape changes nightly. I am quite certain that all the interested parties know what it will take to get a deal done with their specific team.
We just have to wait until someone blinks. When it happens you can almost be sure that we don't hear a rumour beforehand and it will happen quickly. It will be a single phone call from the other GM saying "OK, I am good with your price"
Right now it looks like Florida and Washington are as close as anyone to hitting the panic button with the two worst goals against in the league. I don't count Philly because they can't take Luongo until the summer unless they can get rid of Bryzgalov.
I don't think our situation is as dire as folks are making it out to be. We have two major injuries to our top 6 and are still hovering at the .500 mark. We are a better team with Luongo than with any immediate return we are going to get for him (at best a #4 Right shooting D or a 3rd liner) plus some package of picks/prospects.
I'm surprised that Florida is struggling as much as they are.
Theodore had a good opening night, and has been sliding since. The roster is full of players who are -4 and -5. I guess Garrison was more of a stabilizing influence there than people here realize
But seriously, their injuries to Goc, Gudbranson, Versteeg, Weaver and Bergenheim are puttin them behind the 8 ball. Even if they decided to move on Luo, they have so many pieces out of the lineup - to give up any more roster players is very tough at the moment.
I wouldn't be surprised if Holmgren has expressed intent to get a deal done but with the obvious precursor of waiting for the offseason or Bryz to be moved, whichever comes first - most likely the offseason haha.
I agree with you however. I think someone will blink before then.
What I found interesting in last nights commentary on TSN was the response of Dreger to Gillis' used of the word "if" we decide to trade Luongo. He almost had a knee jerk 'but you have to trade Luongo' response, and immediately started speculating that Luongo might apply pressure to make a trade happen. To me that spells 'things aren't working out as the Leafs had hoped'.
I still think Tallon could pull the trigger and Luo could get what he wants as well. Tallon doesn't strike me as someone who is afraid to cut his losses. With his and Gillis' history of cutting deals, could they find a compromise?
Part of the problem is whether the Canucks want to spend any asset value on a backup - when delaying a deal may make that unnecessary. Without Lack,would they prepared to give Climie or Cannata a shot? If not, the Luongo return in effect is reduced by the cost of his replacement, and at what point does that make sense? As you say, the depth on the roster is fairly good even without Kesler and Booth - particularly if the Canucks top pairing and a few other key guys could get their games tuned up...
It's almost to the point where there is no clear indication in any direction - and as you suggest, could ironicaly be just the kind of time that something happens. I'm happily uninvested either way haha, as long as he sticks to his guns about a fair return.
Edited by oldnews, 30 January 2013 - 12:54 AM.