The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

Thanks. I was banned for "antagonizing Canucks fans". I'm a fan myself, so this is a bit strange to me, but I guess sometimes my responses/sentiment can be a bit too bearish on some of the aspects of this team, so I will need to watch out for that.

Indeed, I don't want to lose posting privileges again.

Thanks. I was banned for "antagonizing Canucks fans". I'm a Leafs fan myself, so this is a bit strange to me, but I guess sometimes my responses/sentiment can be a bit too bulltish on some of the aspects of this team, so I will need to watch out for that.

Indeed, I don't want to lose posting privileges again.

MG is far better off doing exactly what he has claimed all along...IF a deal that improves the Canucks comes along then and ONLY then will he consider asking Lou about a trade.

Other GM's know exactly what the Canucks need & want and they also know MG can't afford to give Lou away without losing credibility; that would affect deals in the future.

I can even see a scenario whereby Lou doesn't even move next summer, if other teams deem they do not need Lou for MG's asking price.

The only hitch could be a deteriorating relationship between our goalies or with AV. As I see it, Cory & Lou are as professional as I've ever seen pro athletes. The Canucks have risen together; they have battled and endured the biased opinions about our team. All this leads to a tight dressing room.

Sports writers are prostitutes that will write anything to make a buck, never letting the obvious truth get in the way of their bizarre conclusions.

Hopes and dreams of fans & writers never cease to amaze and are an amusing read, just go back and read comments following the Cody trade.

It shows that running a business is something most have a hard time comprehending.

Kudos MG, I truly believe you are the right guy for the job and trust you want the cup as much as any fan and are willing to do the right moves to get us there....

if that means 2 starters in net so be it, maybe it's a new model that other may copy and sports writers will praise once the obvious has slapped them enough to wake them from their collective trance.

Where the hell are you getting "20 to 30 million" from? I'm simply suggesting they spend 5 more to upgrade their goaltending from Theodore to Luongo. Not to mention losing one other 3 million-dollar-ish contract (Kopecky, Bergenheim, Upshall) in the process.

If the Panthers really didn't want to spend anything more than absolutely necessary, then why did they trade for Brian Campbell? Playoffs do wonderful things for revenue. Not just directly either, as fan interest as a whole grows.

Unless, of course, CS returns to the form we all know he'll return to, in which case we'll have two goalies who play really well; one who's really expensive and older, and one who's less expensive and younger.

Either way, Lou gets traded. He costs more, and over the course of a season, whether Lou is hot and CS is not at present, their numbers will be so close that it won't make any sense to trade the cheaper option.

It's funny, now that he isn't stinking up the joint early in the season like he usually does his army of dode slarvers are busy slarving his dode yet again with mantras of "trade Schneider, he'll bring a better return".

"really expensive and older" uhh Luongo's cap hit is favourable to over 10 other starting goalies. Some by over $2m.

If we trade Luongo, we have to pay a penalty for the savings we had in cap vs what we paid him. A couple years at $10m vs his $5.3m cap hit is gonna hurt. Probably bringing Schneider's net average up to around OR MORE than what Luo's is now. Then add that Schneider's gonna want $6m minimum in 2 years... now you're talking $7.5m or so instead of $5.3m

Your wish may in fact come true - with each day that Luongo stays with this team, you'd have to think that the odds of Schneider being traded increase incrementally.

Just an awful situation, really. There's no way that Schneider's happy about this. And now, if either of the two are traded during the year, and the Canucks don't win the Stanley Cup, bring on the onslaught of "see, I told you we should've traded Luongo/Schneider!"

This is why you don't let issues like this fester.

Archived