3019 replies to this topic

#1471 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,156 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:07 PM

I want Dmitry Orlov in a Lu to Washington deal.

Guy rushes the puck, jumps in the play and has an accurate shot. He has solid size and like to hit aswell. Very dangerous and highly skilled offensive player. He is very aggressive and also has a nice hipcheck.

zackass.png

#1472 eretz canucks

eretz canucks

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:09 PM

Harpdog, what are you talking about?

#1473 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,943 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:30 PM

It's unfair to call Raymond & Ballard scraps, but it's perfectly reasonable to call Kessel & Phaneuf two of the most overrated players in the entire NHL.

I agree.
A player can be a good NHLer and be over-rated. Scraps on the other hand is pretty reductive.

#1474 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,943 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:39 PM

Thanks, but I think you may be wrong about a couple things:

1. Fletcher, Burke, and Nonis have traded away good players and high draft picks and acquired PhaGoof and Mrs. Kessel, truculent pylons, and small prospects; none of which we want. And a short while ago it seemed to be the accepted fact that Luongo had turned down a move to the centre of the Canadian media universe.

2. DiPietro may well be the "player they need to decide what they are going to do with before we can get it done" Gillis was talking about when he said he had a potential deal in place. NYI also has, in my opinion at least, some of the goofiest management in the NHL, is moving to a new building in a better market, and plenty of players, prospects, and draft picks to satisfy GMMG's wish list. He also said it was not with any of the teams everyone was talking about, and at that time, somewhat like now, most people did not think the NY Islanders were a plausible trade partner.

3. Smarter, more knowledgeable people than I on these boards have made good cases for Washington and Florida. With Luongo's good play, new upbeat attitude, and expansion of his list of teams to which he would consent to be moved, perhaps other teams are looking a little closer at what they might need to do to get him. I think Bryzgalov might also have been the "player need to decide etc" but everyone had Philly in the mix back then. Who knows? Gillis has surprised me many times and like DeNiro says, "Gillis is smarter than me."

Anyway, thanks for all your smashes back at K of the BS troll and that ridiculous side-kick of his, Canucks Hockey 101, even if it is feeding the trolls.
Why these people have priviledges here is beyond me.
And no, it is not because they have good content that happens to be saying bad things about the Canucks.
It is because they clutter up the boards with all their crap.

I agree. Suggesting there are a bunch of untouchables on the Leafs is a bit much - Smashian is a little quick and certain to make assumptions that teams like Philly and NYI wouldn't be interested.

#1475 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,156 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:43 PM

I agree. Suggesting there are a bunch of untouchables on the Leafs is a bit much - Smashian is a little quick and certain to make assumptions that teams like Philly and NYI wouldn't be interested.

I'm not going to go down the NYI path again with you but when you have a perfectly capable goalie like Philly does, who is playing great why would you be in the market for another one? It just doesn't make sense.

zackass.png

#1476 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,943 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:51 PM

Yeah the Anti-Leaf bias kind of bugs me aswell.

Yeah they aren't the greatest team and there is this stereotype that they suck and every player is terrible but that's not the case, they have better prospects/young players than we do and it isn't really that close.

You also like to make the claim that your words are being twisted Smashian, and yet here you go, once again, taking the liberty of rewriting conversations with simplistic straw paraphrases.
Was it not you who asked me to provide you a list of Leafs I would and would not be interested in?
I know we tend to have a short attention span here, and I'm not going to re-state that entire post or process, but to refresh your memory, I went through their roster and their were more players on the don't mind list than the not interested list. It simply happens to be the case that the best Leafs imo are poor fits. Grabovski - great player but a far too expensive cap hit to bury beneath Kesler. Their best players are left wings -again, overlap and excessive cap hits to fit in. Bozak, MacArthur - UFAs. Prospects are (perhaps necessarily) overvalued. Best fit - Frattin. Phaneuf and Kessel - over-rated.

Your sensitivity towards all things Leafs is very touching - on the other hand, the looseness with which you throw the "scraps" label at Raymond, Ballard, Schroeder and a 1st - not so much. Ironing if you ask me.

Edited by oldnews, 02 February 2013 - 11:53 PM.

#1477 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,943 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:56 PM

I'm not going to go down the NYI path again with you but when you have a perfectly capable goalie like Philly does, who is playing great why would you be in the market for another one? It just doesn't make sense.

I watched the entire Philly vs Pittsburgh series last playoffs (and would be willing to bet that Holmgren did as well), so in a word, yes. I'd do my best to move Bryz and upgrade - with that roster, relying on Bryz "just doesn't make sense."

#1478 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,156 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:59 PM

You also like to make the claim that your words are being twisted Smashian, and yet here you go, once again, taking the liberty of rewriting conversations with simplistic straw paraphrases.
Was it not you who asked me to provide you a list of Leafs I would and would not be interested in?
I know we tend to have a short attention span here, and I'm not going to re-state that entire post or process, but to refresh your memory, I went through their roster and their were more players on the don't mind list than the not interested list. It simply happens to be the case that the best Leafs imo are poor fits. Grabovski - great player but a far too expensive cap hit to bury beneath Kesler. Their best players are left wings -again, overlap and excessive cap hits to fit in. Bozak, MacArthur - UFAs. Prospects are (perhaps necessarily) overvalued. Best fit - Frattin. Phaneuf and Kessel - over-rated.

Your sensitivity towards all things Leafs is very touching - on the other hand, the looseness with which you throw the "scraps" label at Raymond, Ballard, Schroeder and a 1st - not so much. Ironing if you ask me.

No that wasn't me who asked you that.

And that post wasn't directed at just you and I wasn't trying to quote your exact words, I was saying around the league (not just here) there is clearly a bias and perception that Leaf players aren't as good they are which simply isn't the case.

And I threw the scrap label at Ballard and Raymond. And in that deal they are. Currently they are both player great but we are 8 games in, hardly proven they are both anything more than last year, is Daniel Winnik a 1st line forward? Not he hasn't proven that, just like Raymond and Ballard haven't proven they can sustain this play. Once they do there stock will go up, but until then it isn't much higher than it was last year.

Say we only had Schneider. Would you trade Kesler and Edler for Pavelec, Stuart, Antropov, Klingberg and a 1st? I wouldn't.

zackass.png

#1479 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,156 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:01 AM

I watched the entire Philly vs Pittsburgh series last playoffs (and would be willing to bet that Holmgren did as well), so in a word, yes. I'd do my best to move Bryz and upgrade - with that roster, relying on Bryz "just doesn't make sense."

I'm glad you were watching last year. But you should start watching this year as you will see Bryzgalov is re-discovering old form and playing great. They need to get there defense healthy and maybe upgrade a bit there but they are fine, Goaltending isn't an issue for them anymore, atleast not now.

zackass.png

#1480 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,943 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:43 AM

I'm glad you were watching last year. But you should start watching this year as you will see Bryzgalov is re-discovering old form and playing great. They need to get there defense healthy and maybe upgrade a bit there but they are fine, Goaltending isn't an issue for them anymore, atleast not now.

Ok Smashian.

#1481 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,156 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:51 AM

Ok Smashian.

Alright oldnews.

zackass.png

#1482 frazzY

frazzY

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:25 AM

Bout time we make a Cory Schneider trade thread, no? lol

#1483 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,341 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:09 AM

That's riveting stuff guys. Is anyone further ahead than they were 5 pages ago?

People have started a new thread because they got tired of listening to the same crap in this one.

schroedersig2_by_elvis15-d5szksn.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#1484 Merci

Merci

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:36 AM

Bryz isn't the reason Philly is losing right now.

It was his first playoffs ever, in a crazy series against Malkin, Stall, and Crosby

Right now I think Philly knows withotu Hartnell it's toast and is going to try and survive or miss the playoffs and get Jones.

I think we have to wait out for Florida, watch them get lit up, then snag the only thing I want, Bjustad.

Keslerific, on 25 May 2014 - 4:47 PM, said:

Gaunce is wayy cooler though, Gaunce is the kind of guy you want to bring with you to Costco

vPTJpcO.jpg

#1485 whytelight

whytelight

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:53 AM

From a GA/GF perspective, a team like Florida does not need a great goalie: They are last in their conference with 16GF and 27GA. Their problem is goaltending AND scoring. NJ, TOR, and NYR all have a differential of -2's and -3's where they might be saying "...if we only stopped a few more pucks, we would have one those games..." Their differential might me more like +2 or +3 and might be sitting 5,6,7 instead of 7,8,9.

#1486 Strombone1

Strombone1

GDT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:40 AM

just to fuel the fire on this trade,

Elliotte Friedman @FriedgeHNIC
Spotted at PIT/WASH today: Mike Gillis and assistant Laurence Gilman

Commissioner of 2014-2015 Shapheat Fantasy Hockey League

Player of the Game - Wall of Fame
2014-15 GDT Registrations

#1487 BabychStache

BabychStache

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

Now why in the world would they BOTH be there
Posted Image
Credit to Goaltenderinterference for the awesome Sig!

#1488 Goal:thecup

Goal:thecup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:47 AM

Part of the deal is $$$.

#1489 boxiebrown

boxiebrown

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:49 AM

just to fuel the fire on this trade,

Elliotte Friedman @FriedgeHNIC
Spotted at PIT/WASH today: Mike Gillis and assistant Laurence Gilman

Came her to post this. That's pretty interesting.

#1490 sampy

sampy

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:49 AM

That's better, I'm tried of the TO crap.
Forsberg please.
Good partner as well as Caps can send a goalie back.

Edited by sampy, 03 February 2013 - 10:51 AM.

#1491 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,055 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:52 AM

Why is Van looking to trade Lou? For the same reason I support Gillis's move to trade Lou the same applies to Brzy. Lou would be an upgrade since his 'playoff' troubles have been less than those of Brzy. Three strong games by Lou doesn't change the fact that CS is fundamently a better tender, cost less and has a shorter contract. I don't write Philly off.

#1492 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:08 AM

I must have missed something. Has someone been claiming that Kassian is more valuable than an allstar, hof goaltender?

HOF? How many goalies are in the HOF that have neither won a Cup nor a Vezina?

#1493 Skead

Skead

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:08 AM

That's better, I'm tried of the TO crap.
Forsberg please.
Good partner as well as Caps can send a goalie back.

Since Forsberg isn't playing at the Caps/Pens game I am going to assume he isn't the center piece. They're scouting for guys playing right now. :P

#1494 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:15 AM

Even if it was for Tyler Seguin, Doug Hamilton and Jared Knight?

That's not exactly how the deal went.

He was traded for 1st rounders, which happened to go very much in Boston's favour. Burke's error was in thinking that his team would've been much better, leaving Boston with mid-level 1st rounders. If that were to happen, nobody would be complaining. And in fact, they still have Phil Kessel, who is still very, very good, despite oldnews' blatant, non-objective bringing down of him.

It's strange that MG gets a pass for the Ballard trade, calling it "hindsight" (making it somehow more acceptable), yet Burke is ridiculed for this trade, which I'd call a pretty reasonable gamble that didn't go in his direction. Had Toronto finished better in 2010 & 2011, it would've been an absolute steal. How many other 30-goal scorers in their early 20s are there?

#1495 sting

sting

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

HOF? How many goalies are in the HOF that have neither won a Cup nor a Vezina?

Edited by sting, 03 February 2013 - 11:26 AM.

#1496 Lonny_Bohonos_14

Lonny_Bohonos_14

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

Since Forsberg isn't playing at the Caps/Pens game I am going to assume he isn't the center piece. They're scouting for guys playing right now. :P

Or he has already been agreed upon and now they're scouting for the rest of the deal ;)

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#1497 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:21 AM

So instead, look at stats from other leagues like the AHL to made predictions about the NHL :bigblush:

Please read my post once again and get back to me with the concrete prediction that I made.

Or, let me know that I was simply raising concerns about declining production in the bush league.

Thanks

#1498 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:23 AM

Really you don't like anything in there organization at all?

No Kadri, no Frattin, No Biggs, No Finn, No Percy, No picks?

Even untouchables like Rielly.

You don't like anything at all, Interested as to why?

Because they're Maple Leafs, and most Canuck fans' inferiority complex won't allow them to admit that anyone on the Maple Leafs are any good.

#1499 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:30 AM

VAN

Couturier

PHI

Schneider

These Philly rumours need to simmer down unless and until they move Bryzgalov. If that happens, yes, that's a pretty strong signal.

But why Couturier? We don't really need a C. Schroeder looks like he has a future in the NHL as a 2C. Couturier being a 3C would be a waste of his potential. I'd rather target a guy like Simmonds, though I don't think they'd be interested in moving him.

#1500 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:35 AM

I wonder if there are Philly fans out there saying:

-"I watched Luongo against Boston in the SCF - just doesn't make sense"
-"I watched Luongo get pulled against the Kings for the series - just doesn't make sense"
-"I watched Luongo get lit-up against Chicago for 3 consecutive years - just doesn't make sense"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.