The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PGT Canucks 3 Flames 2

Strawberries

Games like these make MG look like a genius. That was the best, easiest goal a Canuck has scored in a shootout over the last 3 or 4 seasons. We've never had a guy with silky hands like that and Kassian somehow has them. I don't care how good Hodgson is right now, Kassian is a better fit for this team.

Every forward in a Canuck uniform played a great game tonight for the full 60 minutes. Top line was amazing, great goal by Kassian obviously but even the Sedins were having some good cycles. Their passing still is a bit off, and Kassian wasn't receiving the passes very well but that will come in time.

Second line (Burrows line) was great, especially Hansen. These guys won countless puck battles and resulted in many turnovers, very prototypical of what Kesler's line usually does. They didn't generate much offence, but were reckless forecheckers and kept the pressure on.

Third line was one of our best. Raymond always lifts his game against the Flames and he had a few great opportunities. Absolutely amazing shot for his goal as well, and set up Ballard very nicely as well as Weise a couple of times. Schroeder didn't look too good but his speed is definately there and made some nice short passes. Not sure why Weise was benched (7ish minutes all game) because he was having a great one, just missed his two glorious scoring chances.

Our fourth line wasn't as special, Volpatti had a poor game but Malhotra and Lapierre had their best games in a while. No offence but good defence, especially from Lapierre (and Hansen particularly) who were great at coming back and defending all game long.

Now the defence, oh boy this is an issue. Hamhuis and Bieksa were fantastic, their best games of the season, but Bieksa made 2 bad pinches and jumped up in the rush too much, leading to odd-man rushes against and in one case, the Flames' first goal. Hamhuis was a rock stealing pucks in our own zone and along the boards.

Edler and Garrison had an absolutely brutal game. Edler couldn't string a pass, especially in the second half, and despite having 7 shots on goal wasn't much of a threat. Garrison was just terrible in his own zone and was caught, not being able to get the puck out, countless times. Nevertheless they finished with the most ice time, probably due to all the special teams time.

Tanev was IMO our best defenceman and deserves more than 17 minutes a game. He was unbelievable, did not lose a puck battle as far as I was watching and always came up with the puck. Drew a penalty, kept his feet moving and always managed to get the puck out of the zone. He's not flashy at all, but an absolute stud in his own zone - far better than anyone else on this team, and doesn't need to be physical to do his job. I am amazed at how often this guy manages to elude the pressure and forecheck. Ballard also had a great game, a bunch of good shots and chances and wasn't a liability in his own zone for once. Didn't make any brutal mistakes.

Schneider looked really nervous and shaky at first, a couple of real gaffs including the shot right off the bat where he wasn't ready and getting the puck caught in his feet, but settled down. Give credit to the 2 shooters for their great shots but Schneider could have had them, was just beat cleanly. He really shut the door in the 3rd and OT which is good to see, and finally we have a goalie who can win in the shootout. Good bounce-back game from him but I'm still not convinced until he strings a bunch of good wins together.

Good game by players who needed to prove themselves (Kassian, Schneider, Shroeder, Raymond, Tanev, Ballard). Decent game for others. Other players are still shaking the rust (Edler, Garrison, Bieksa, Malhotra, Lapierre).

My biggest complaint on the game was missed shots. But we really put in the effort in and it showed.

Definitely the Kass and Tanev show tonight -- again. Schroeder did all the little things that will made AV drool, so that's good. I like his game, he's a battler. Burrows looks better as well. I would have never thought 3 games in and Kass would have more goals than everyone except Edler, and Tanev would be their best d-man *waiting for apocalypse*

I'm not enjoying the Edler-Garry pairing thus far. Long term its the best option and they'll be fine. But right now, they can't get the puck out of their own zone to save their life. They are having trouble reading plays. Trouble reading eachother. Guess what?? Tanev excels in all those areas - he needs to be moved up beside one of those guys. I'm guessing he would have been already if Nucks had another right d-man (quality one).

Someone should GIF Dannys shoot out move so we can all have a chuckle :)

Roadtrip!!!

Alyssa Campanella@AlyssCampanella

KASS KASS DEFINITELY JUST KICKED YOUR ASS!!!!!!!!! First #Canucks win of the season!!!!! What a shootout dang

Good win boys. Happy for Kassian to score, be a physical presence, and get the shootout/game winner.

I also liked the addition of Schroeder and the way Raymond played. I noticed him quite a bit tonight. and not in the same way as usual. He made good passes and scored, and had good back check, and when there were plays where the puck was lost he'd come in and retrieve it in the defensive end.

Schneider was great, not perfect, but great. I'm sure he could have had those two goals back.

There were some bad plays by the defence at times. Schroeder still needs to muscle up some more. But he still made plays while falling on the ice. I think he's a much better Centre that actually makes plays around his team mates compared to Kesler.

I was slightly disappointed in Lapierre's game tonight. Edler too. Guys are still getting back to game shape, looks like a bit of rust came off and is a good sign. Garisson seemed to have some trouble at times but overall the team played better for sure. Just couldn't put in more goals as they dominated the 1st.

LOL listen to the fan960 right now, so bitter :bigblush:

the host is trying to make the lame fans feel alittle bit better by saying the crowd tonight was 50/50 flames and Canucks fans... he's blind hehe.

Now he's saying even though the Canucks won were still not an elite team anymore. :towel:

Archived