43 replies to this topic

#31 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:20 PM

Marleau's a strong and a smart player. The chemistry between Thornton and Marleau is as tight as that of the Sedins. Thornton and Marleau might as well be twins.
Posted Image

#32 Watermelons

Watermelons

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:00 PM

It's funny reading comments. Players who show up in the playoffs get bashed for being a 'no-show'. On the other hand, other players who put up lesser or similar numbers get glorified and praised as if they are the next Gretzky

i.e. see Kesler. I know he has 36 points in 50 ish playoff games but 11 of those points were from 6 playoff games. Thus Mr. playoff "beast" only has 25 points in 44 games, which is impressive but is far from extraordinary. Of course, this is not considering any defensive plays since it isn't like Kesler is considered a "beast" because he plays good defense. Everyone calls him "beast" due to his insane playoff numbers in one series.

Edited by monkeydluffy, 27 January 2013 - 11:03 PM.

tumblr_lv6jbk180f1r5jtugo1_250.gif  Kirby_eats_a_watermelon.gif 

#33 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,137 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:08 AM

There isn't a single player who can single handedly take a team through the playoffs. If the team chooses to shut down Crosby, Malkin has to step up, and vice versa. I use Crosby because he supposedly is the best player in the game. Did the Canucks making the finals now teach you anything at all? There isn't a Gretzky in the league. During the playoffs, it's all about the match ups. This is why it's rare for players to consistently be tops in scoring. In the playoffs, you learn a lot about these players, and learn to shut them down. For the past few years, teams have been so focused on shutting down Ovechkin, that Ovechkin doesn't even know what to do anymore. Shut down defense man like Pronger can dominate the league, but we don't see them often anymore. It's the reason Seth Jones will probably be picked ahead of Nathan McKinnon. Defensive side of the game is far superior to any offense.

WTH are you going on about?

Obviously defense and match-ups get amped up in the playoffs. All I said was Marleau's ability to play through this and put up points is maddenly inconsistent. Just look at his last 4 playoff series:

2011-12 vs. St. Louis - 5GP, 0pts
2010-11 vs. Vancouver - 5GP, 7pts
2010-11 vs. Detriot - 7GP, 1pt
2010-11 vs. Los Angeles - 6GP, 5pts

The guy frequently called "no-show Joe" is far more consistent.
Posted Image

#34 GodzillaDeuce

GodzillaDeuce

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:18 AM

It's funny reading comments. Players who show up in the playoffs get bashed for being a 'no-show'. On the other hand, other players who put up lesser or similar numbers get glorified and praised as if they are the next Gretzky

i.e. see Kesler. I know he has 36 points in 50 ish playoff games but 11 of those points were from 6 playoff games. Thus Mr. playoff "beast" only has 25 points in 44 games, which is impressive but is far from extraordinary. Of course, this is not considering any defensive plays since it isn't like Kesler is considered a "beast" because he plays good defense. Everyone calls him "beast" due to his insane playoff numbers in one series.

"Kesler's numbers LOOK good, but don't be fooled guys. If I take away a bunch of games where he did really good in, his stats go somewhat down!"

:mellow:

well I'm sorry that gd is soo perfect

#35 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,137 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

Um, just because Kesler is not scoring, doesn't mean he's not effective. He totally shut down Toews in round 1 of our cup run. The only goal JT got was a short-handed marker against our 2nd PP unit (so Kesler was off the ice).

Kesler always gets the hardest minutes, against the oppositions' best players, and yet has been even for the playoffs. Whereas Marleau is not nearly as often directly up against elite scorers, but is a career -11 in the playoffs, and hasn't had a plus-postseason since 2006.

Lastly, Marleau takes up 38% more cap room than Kesler.
Posted Image

#36 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,834 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

He's on fire
Posted Image

#37 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

Who saw this coming? 2 goals in each of his first 4 games as well as 3 assists.

I did, he's on my hockey pool team :)
"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

CDC's 2014 draft preferences vs. Canucks actual picks
http://forum.canucks...g-2014-edition/

#38 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

Stupid argument. Joe Thornton never has made it to the SCF, does it change the fact that he's one of the best play makers in this generation? NHL is a team game, one player alone, won't get you to the cup.

There is no arguing that he is one of the best, no question about it. But SJ has had the team to win the Cup in recent years, but the big name players can't seem to get it done come semi-final, or WCF time.

You can put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig.

/=S=/

#39 Watermelons

Watermelons

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:49 PM

"Kesler's numbers LOOK good, but don't be fooled guys. If I take away a bunch of games where he did really good in, his stats go somewhat down!"

:mellow:

I'm just saying that Kesler is no dominating offensive force int he playoffs as many on CDC suggest. You take away one playoff series and his numbers are not so impressive. Does anyone call Fernando Pisani a playoff beast? Nope. But why? He had 18 points in 24 playoff games in 2006. Too bad he was invisible in the rest of his playoff games. I'd love to be proven wrong, but Kesler is by no means a consistent scoring threat in the playoffs.

Um, just because Kesler is not scoring, doesn't mean he's not effective. He totally shut down Toews in round 1 of our cup run. The only goal JT got was a short-handed marker against our 2nd PP unit (so Kesler was off the ice).

You can pull out the "Kesler shut down Toews" card if you want. But you have to remember, there are two sides to the argument. Sure, Kesler limited Toews to 1 goal but Toews also had 3 assists, so his points total add up to 4. Of course, CDCers will argue that Kesler did a great job. But wait, let's see how Kesler did in that series. Oops, 4 points in 7 games as well (no goals). So while Kesler "shut down" Toews, Toews also "shut down" Kesler. (I'm not discrediting Kesler's efforts, he did a great job in that series)

tumblr_lv6jbk180f1r5jtugo1_250.gif  Kirby_eats_a_watermelon.gif 

#40 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,137 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:10 AM

You can pull out the "Kesler shut down Toews" card if you want. But you have to remember, there are two sides to the argument. Sure, Kesler limited Toews to 1 goal but Toews also had 3 assists, so his points total add up to 4. Of course, CDCers will argue that Kesler did a great job. But wait, let's see how Kesler did in that series. Oops, 4 points in 7 games as well (no goals). So while Kesler "shut down" Toews, Toews also "shut down" Kesler. (I'm not discrediting Kesler's efforts, he did a great job in that series)

Again, I was comparing Kesler to Marleau. So Kesler's primary responsibility was defensive, and he still chipped in 4 points. Whereas Marleau's main responsibility is to score, and yet in 2 of his last 4 series he scored 0 and 1 points respectively.

But I get what you're saying - Kesler hasn't been all-world, all the time.
Posted Image

#41 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

Wasn't this Lupul and Kessel after 5 games last year?

Good for Marleau but I don't expect it to last.
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#42 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

WTH are you going on about?

Obviously defense and match-ups get amped up in the playoffs. All I said was Marleau's ability to play through this and put up points is maddenly inconsistent. Just look at his last 4 playoff series:

So, who's been consistent in the playoffs? Your post is meaningless if you actually put thought into it. You know why Crosby or Malkin disappears in one series, while the other one dominates? It's because one is being shut down by the teams best defensive players, while the other one has more freedom to run around.

Edited by Rey, 29 January 2013 - 03:07 PM.

#43 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

Again, I was comparing Kesler to Marleau. So Kesler's primary responsibility was defensive, and he still chipped in 4 points. Whereas Marleau's main responsibility is to score, and yet in 2 of his last 4 series he scored 0 and 1 points respectively.

But I get what you're saying - Kesler hasn't been all-world, all the time.

Kesler always gets the hardest minutes, against the oppositions' best players, and yet has been even for the playoffs. Whereas Marleau is not nearly as often directly up against elite scorers, but is a career -11 in the playoffs, and hasn't had a plus-postseason since 2006.

Lastly, Marleau takes up 38% more cap room than Kesler.

Another misconception. Marleau is always gets the most time killing penalties on his team and being matched up against top lines. Only problem is that, teams don't want that match up because he's also an offensive thread. He isn't the number 1 of all active short handed goal scorer in the playoffs for no reason. Joe Thornton's job is to score. Marleau does everything.

Edited by Rey, 29 January 2013 - 03:08 PM.

#44 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • 12,767 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:00 PM

Personally, I'm going to keep my eye on the possibility that Marleau may eclipse his point total from last year in this shortened season.

Last year he had 64p in 82 GP and already has 14p in 6 GP this year, leaving him with only needing 51p in his remaining 42 games.

Entirely doable and it would be an interesting story.

Edited by theminister, 31 January 2013 - 07:01 PM.

Posted ImageNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEPosted Image

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.