The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Panthers can't afford Weiss, looking to trade him

However, Weiss as a non-UFA and at roughly 4.5-5 per year is an upgrade on all those guys and you can see above it fits well into the cap. He can play 3rd line C if needed, but would likely form a sweet 2nd line with Booth & Kes.

Heck, with 2.5+ in cap space after signing him, the Canucks COULD let Manny go and put that 1.65 I have him signed at (in theory) and get a 3rd line center for anything less than 3 million and STILL have Weiss.

It's tight (I'd think Lappy and Higgins get a little more than what they have, but otherwise possible if Weiss is thinking in that range) but depends on if we're comfortable with dropping Ballard from our D and trusting Connauton. We probably would be fine, but it limits spots for young players, although Weiss does improve us.

My point was we could go after younger players and picks in a Luongo deal and we wouldn't really need to even look at UFA forwards (which Weiss would be if we didn't trade for him). It could be an excellent opportunity to improve for future but it'll all come down to what Gillis sees as best.

#PyramidSchemeItWorks

Sedin (6.1) - Sedin (6.1) - Kassian (.87)

Burrows (4.5) - Weiss (5m) - Kesler (5)

Higgins (2m) - Schroeder ($1.5m) - Hansen (1.35)

Volpatti (.65) - Lapierre (1.5) - Weise or other (.65)

Jensen(as needed)

Edler (5) - Garrison (4.6)

Bieksa (4.6) - Hammer (4.5)

Ballard (4.2) - Tanev (1.6)

Schneider - (4)

UFA - (1m)

Total Cap: 64.72, so give raises where you think my predictions are wrong.. or else the team is not only stacked but well beneath the cap.

#PyramidSchemeItWorks

Keep Ballard, lose Booth and Malhotra. Schroeder up, misc. "UFA" that goes up and down with injuries is Jensen.

=64.72. damn close to cap, so hopefully Weiss goes for a bit Cheaper, Schroder goes for the cheap deal, Lapierre maybe is cheaper than $1.5m or Higgins, etc - but this is fair prices for these guys.

Gives us Ballard as a guy who can jump up into top 4 if we have any D injuries.

Ya how about no. If we can't afford Weiss what makes you think we can afford Luos garbage? We'd be better to trade him for prospects and picks and build our future than trade for a bad contract. Unless you take Upshall off our hands???

I have been arguing for a trade for Weiss and a goalie from Florida for a while now. A good rental is fine as someone else has said, for we need to clear some salary cap for next year, plus our window will shrink from Edler and Burrows' well deserve pay raises.

We need a NHL caliber goalie from FL as I don't think we want anyone from the UFA pool if we are still trying to win the Cup.

Henrik, Weiss and Kesler would give us the best 1-2-3 down the middle in the league.

Look at Boston, they have Bergeron, Krejci, Peverley and Kelly as their 1 - 4 C's. While none of them are super stars they are all excellent face off men and are defensively reliable, and can put the puck in the net if they have the chance.

Henrik, Kesler, Lapierre, Malhotra and Schroeder won't get the job done in the playoffs.

The point is Weiss wouldn't be part of the UFA pool, he'd already be Canuck property, so Gillis wouldn't have to deal with the open market competition. Weiss has a NMC, he's likely only going to wave to play for a team he WANTS to play for. So therefore, the Canucks could get a top-6 forward without the overinflated UFA price tag and be a step above everybody else.

Total Cap: 61.62, so give raises where you think my predictions are wrong.. or else the team is not only stacked but well beneath the cap.

Someone's wrong in their addition then, and since I didn't add up the first roster, I'll do that for both just to see.

• Using only the numbers from Teemu's post (no raises like I mentioned there might be) I get a total of $67.82M - well over the cap.

• Using the numbers from Miller's post (although I wouldn't line them up that way) I get a total of $64.265M - fits like he said but barely.

Teemu, you obviously did some math wrong since yours does not equal $61.62M. I don't know if you only added one Sedin or what, but no way Weiss fits on his next contract without further cuts.

We could drop Booth as well and give Jensen a shot next year. He's ready and it would solve the problems but it would mean using both our buy outs assuming we can't trade Booth and/or Ballard for picks/prospects. If we could get assets (particularly if we can translate it into a high pick this year) back for them, I wouldn't be opposed as we'll have to fit Jensen in somewhere soon, and I like Weiss.

I guess it'll come down to Gillis' plan and if Florida really is considering offering him up instead of one of their other young centers fighting for spots.

Let's try this again; Toronto, Calgary, Columbus, Colorado... Columbus and Colorado (considering all 3 of their top line players are currently out) are bottom feeders. Toronto and Calgary are fringe play off teams, Toronto already well documented as re-building and Calgary well documented as being reluctant to re-build when they should be.

Could I see Colorado trading for Weiss to fill their top line centre role? I suppose.

But Weiss is a rental, UFA at the end of the year! Colorado is not going on a cup run this year even with Weiss, so it would, in fact, be dumb to mortgage their future to grasp at a shot at a play off spot. Calgary has a better chance at making it out of the first round if they pick up a Weiss to give Iggy a last fling? Well, they would be smarter to keep assets, and trade Iggy so they would be a play off team for years to come. However, they are at the cap, and cannot give up prospects for Weiss, so it makes the point moot. Toronto is already, wisely, committed to playing young centres and riding it out. Columbus? Why in the world would they give up what prospects they have?

Detroit, well who couldn't use a good centre? But they have more pressing needs on D. And two pretty good centres already in Zetterburg and Datsyuk. If they make a move; count on it being one to fill their needs not a position where they are stacked! And really, they are not primed for cup contention this year, so probably would not give up significant parts for Weiss.

Weiss is a R E N T A L! These are not teams that should be looking at rentals!

Toronto is a random pick but you never what move they might make, they always need centremen and could use Weiss.

Calgary if you remember correctly was the team that traded for Jay-Bo and signed him, they could have the same idea in mind about a potential Weiss deal. They have done this often as you can tell from this past offseason.

Columbus is just a random pick, which I thought may give it a shot.

Detroit could trade for Weiss and then in turn trade away Filpulla, since that situation has a huge ? surrounding it. Also what if Datsyuk or Zetterberg get injured, also they could generate more offense by putting Pavel and Henrik on a line together.

Colorado could use another centre and could send O'Reilly the other way if it doesn't work out in Colorado. Weiss could fill in that slot and they could offer him a contract.

Weiss's negotiating rights could be traded if none of the teams are able to keep him

Again, I'm all for getting a rental player the quality of Weiss, provided he's not extravagently expensive.

That said, I'd rather wait until closer to the deadline, to see if we have more pressing needs. It would suck to trade assets for Weiss, only to later have a few defensemen go down and no cap room or expendable assets to plug the holes.

Archived