The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kesler's Influence

j3ff

Sorry even though Kesler has an excellent defensive game and a strong offensive game, I would not consider him a superstar.

Back on topic, I hope we ease Kesler back into the lineup. Maybe let him play a few games then give him a day off (unless our team is really struggling) because we need him to be healthy in the playoffs.

I think getting Kesler back, even if he's rusty, will do wonders.

Say what you want about him (and I myself have said a lot about his diving and whining), but this team needs a guy like Kesler badly. He brings so much emotion and drive in addition to his ability. We'll be getting back a focal point on both our #1 special teams' units, a great face-off guy, and also just somebody who plays all 3 zones hard.

Can you imagine how much more control the Canucks could have on a game with him? He wins face-offs well, and if he doesn't he'll want the puck back like a junkyard dog wants scraps. Guarantee we won't be getting trapped in our zone as much either. Even if he isn't scoring as much, he does a lot of the little things during a game to help the team.

He hasn't played hockey in almost a year.

Even if he does come back this season (which is questionable) how effective do you really believe he'll be?

We are seeing the effects of bad conditioning from most of our players who chose to play with kids down at UBC and call that training/preparation.

Multiply that x10 and you have what Kes will be when he gets back. He has done what equates to ZERO during the last 9+ months... not his fault mind you, but for those expecting him to ride in on his black steed snorting fire and brimstone onto the opposition - you are delusional.

Gillis needs to get Luongo the hell out of here and shore up our holes. I heard he was waiting 10 games to "have a look at our team" - that 10 games can't come soon enough.

I like Schroeder but he isn't the answer, neither is Ebbett.

Could you imagine if Raymond and Kassian hadn't stepped up like they have? We'd be 0-6

(and I'm on record as not being MayRays biggest fan but thankfully he's playing well right now)

He may not be a "superstar", but I don't think we can understate the importance of Kesler to this team. He is the crux of the team. The system works when he is healthy and in the lineup.

He takes offensive pressure off the Sedins, takes defensive pressure off the Sedins, shuts down other teams' top players, helps the powerplay, helps the penalty kill, is strong on faceoffs and will allow everyone else to slide into their proper positions and roles.

Right now there is no consistent threat behind the Sedins and Kesler can also play a power role that we need more of.

We need a healthy Kesler.

Kesler and Booth are starting to frustrate people, they just rest, rest and rest! I know they are not feeling good physically, but just play already! Or at the very least, give us a deadline as to when they will play. I don't think the fans deserve to just keep waiting and guessing when they will play again....

Kesler and Booth are starting to frustrate people, they just rest, rest and rest! I know they are not feeling good physically, but just play already! Or at the very least, give us a deadline as to when they will play. I don't think the fans deserve to just keep waiting and guessing when they will play again....

Kesler is a C, his job is to set up wingers.. and as a C, he scored and exceeded any expectation of a centre.. He played like a monster before getting injured..

As for Cheechoo, he played with Joe Thornton, the same guy who is helping Marleau tear it up. So your comparison is stupid.

You don't understand hockey.

Honestly, and maybe i'm just setting myself up for a big let down but i have a feeling he's going to come out with guns blazing. He's been craving to play just as much as anyone else has and he still has that flare and adrenaline thats going to carry him to a great first game to boost his confidence. This guy had to deal with the lockout AND a post lockout injury that has him STILL waiting to play. I have a feeling he's going to be back hungrier then ever. He's my favorite player in the NHL and thats what i loved watching him down and i have high hopes he'll come back and do it again. On topic though i'd say the team as a whole benefits. He's great offensively, great defensively, great on the power play, great on the penalty kill. He's an well rounded star. Yes, he would be considered a star.

Archived