Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Rumour] "Jarome Iginla would probably consider ending his career with the Penguins"

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:08 AM

45]

45]
Andrew Fillipponi@ThePoniExpress

Former Flames GM Craig Button just told me he thinks Jarome Iginla would probably consider ending his career w the Penguins.

Interesting, for sure. Guess playing with Sid in 2010 really influenced him

Edited by Everybody Hates Raymond, 01 February 2013 - 01:39 AM.

#2 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,217 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:10 AM

Just what Button thinks. If Iggy himself said he would consider retiring a Penguin I'd put more merrit into it.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#3 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:19 AM

Just what Button thinks. If Iggy himself said he would consider retiring a Penguin I'd put more merrit into it.

I'm sure that'd go over just fine in Cowtown, seeing as he's still in a Flames jersey and all.

Button was responsible for drafting Iginla so keep that in mind.

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#4 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:31 AM

He'll retire as a Flame. If he chooses to finish his playing days on another team, so be it. But he'll definitely retire a Flame.

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Certainly going to be our #1 defensemen. Give him a couple more years to improve his game and he'll be our new and improved version of Matthias Ohlund in no time

Posted Image

^Truth

#5 ccc44

ccc44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:32 AM

I'm sure that'd go over just fine in Cowtown, seeing as he's still in a Flames jersey and all.

Button was responsible for drafting Iginla so keep that in mind.

Button was never the GM in Dallas , Director of scouting yes and even if he drafted it would mean nothing in his specualtion because any friend of Iginlas would never publicly say that if Iginla had divulged that information if he wanted to keep his friendship
Posted Image
SHOTS ! SHOTS ! SHOTS !

#6 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,548 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:34 AM

I don't think it's so much that he likes the Penguins a ton, he just wants to win a Cup.

#7 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,460 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:35 AM

So is he really considering it or is Button considering that he might consider it? I think your title is wrong man....

#8 Bombastik der Teutone

Bombastik der Teutone

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,008 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:35 AM

why not as a ranger like every old fart does ???? :lol:

but seriously...i dont think he will ever leave calgary

#9 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,947 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:36 AM

I said 2 years ago the Flames should have traded him to Pittsburgh. But what would Pittsburgh offer now to get him? They lost Staal. Unless they really want draft picks or Sutter?
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#10 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:39 AM

So is he really considering it or is Button considering that he might consider it? I think your title is wrong man....

Tinkered with it. That should be better.

#11 Mookie Wilson

Mookie Wilson

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:40 AM

I said 2 years ago the Flames should have traded him to Pittsburgh. But what would Pittsburgh offer now to get him? They lost Staal. Unless they really want draft picks or Sutter?

Iginla hasn't scored through 5 games and is an impending UFA. He probably won't be worth Sutter at the deadline.

#12 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:50 AM

Button was never the GM in Dallas , Director of scouting yes and even if he drafted it would mean nothing in his specualtion because any friend of Iginlas would never publicly say that if Iginla had divulged that information if he wanted to keep his friendship

I never said he was GM, I said he was responsible for drafting Iggy and since he was heavily involved in their scouting department you can bet he had a big say in who to pick. Your point about personal friends divulging info you don't want leaked is noted but how else will this awkward separation get started?

The last few years they've been talking about this. Ownership doesn't want to look like they're pushing him out by asking him to waive the NTC and Iggy doesn't want to look like he's jumping ship thus, rightly or wrongly, tarnishing his legacy.

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#13 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:51 AM

Maybe a summer signing?

#14 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:53 AM

I could always picture Iggy in a Pens jersey... Feaster should have made a move earlier if this is truly the case. Now, there's a good chance he'll walk for nothing...

Neal - Malkin - ___ Boychuk??
Kunitz - Crosby - Iginla

Baaah. Maybe he'll win a few cups.

#15 Mike Vanderhoek

Mike Vanderhoek

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,043 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:53 AM

I think its quite easy to assume any let's say 600 + players in the NHL would " want " to finish their career in Pittsburgh if it was for purely hockey reasons...just a guess. This Thread's title could be any player's name lol.
Posted Image

#16 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,807 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:58 AM

actually, it makes perfect sense if Iginla wanted to get the word out there without being the one to say it himself, ie. saving face with the Cowtown fans.

#17 Dellins

Dellins

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:37 AM

K I'll give it a shot:

Iginla for Despres, Bennett, 1st

Edited by Dellins, 01 February 2013 - 03:32 AM.

#18 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,217 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:41 AM

I could always picture Iggy in a Pens jersey... Feaster should have made a move earlier if this is truly the case. Now, there's a good chance he'll walk for nothing...

Neal - Malkin - ___ Boychuk??
Kunitz - Crosby - Iginla

Baaah. Maybe he'll win a few cups.

I think it would be more like

Kunitz - Crosby - Iginla
Neal - Malkin - Boychuk
Dupuis - Sutter - Tangradi
Cooke - Vitale - Adams

Orpik - Letang
Martin - Niskanen
Engelland - Lovejoy

Fleury
Vokoun

**Runs screaming in fear**

Edited by Steven Stamkos' Mullet, 01 February 2013 - 03:26 AM.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

#19 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:06 AM

Kunitz - Crosby - Iginla
Neal - Malkin - Boychuk
Dupuis - Sutter - Kennedy
Cooke - Vitale - Tangradi

Orpik - Letang
Martin - Niskanen
Engelland - Lovejoy

Fleury
Vokoun

I still have a sinking feeling that an underdog is coming out of the east this year.
If I had to guess... I'd say Ottawa or Winnipeg

#20 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:17 AM

Kunitz - Crosby - Iginla
Neal - Malkin - Boychuk
Dupuis - Sutter - Kennedy
Cooke - Vitale - Tangradi

Orpik - Letang
Martin - Niskanen
Engelland - Lovejoy

Fleury
Vokoun

That Top 6 is nothing to be scared about. Sure, Crosby and Malkin are top 5 players in the NHL but if they're shut down for a whole series, where will the scoring come from? Teams from the East in my eyes that can shut down not only Crosby, but Malkin at the same time in an entire seven game series are the Boston Bruins and New York Rangers. Otherwise, the Pens would just steamroll over anyone who dares to come in their path.

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Certainly going to be our #1 defensemen. Give him a couple more years to improve his game and he'll be our new and improved version of Matthias Ohlund in no time

Posted Image

^Truth

#21 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,217 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:23 AM

I still have a sinking feeling that an underdog is coming out of the east this year.

I kinda have that feeling too. Not exactly Ottawa or Winnipeg, but maybe Tampa or Carolina.

#22 shiznak

shiznak

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,336 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:05 AM

Simon Despres, Derrick Pouliot, Beau Bennett, and a 1st for Iginla and TJ Brodie.

f9mgqu.png

#23 timberz21

timberz21

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,664 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:52 AM

I don't see what the Penguins could give up?

Pouliot and Maata are the only two prospect and I doubt Calgary settle for just one of them.

If I'm Iggy I would accept a trade to a contender this year and them re-sign with Calgary in the summer.

#24 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:58 AM

Just speculation on Button's part.

I've thought the same thing for some time now. Pens have the cap space and the pieces to make the deal.

#25 greetingsfrombrazil

greetingsfrombrazil

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:31 AM

I think that he should sign with Pittsburgh in the summer. With the signings that Calgary made last year, they're not even playoffs contenders IMO, his only chance is in another team. Pens need a winger, Sid needs a good partner, just go there. Perhaps the Penguins' last year draft picks are ready in a couple year, so defense should look better, giving them the whole package.

#26 ForsbergTheGreat

ForsbergTheGreat

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,762 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:57 AM

First of all at the start of the year Iginla has said him self, He loves calgary and would love to finish his career off in calgary but he wants to win and he wants to win a stanley cup. Calgary is at point (if they keep losing) where keeping iginla has no purpose. At the end of the year he is a UFA. He will be getting offers of easily 3-4 years, $6 mil plus. Calgary would have no interest in paying him that. Why keep a short term high salary guy when going deep in the playoffs isn't their short term reality. Calgary is also not going to watch him walk away at the end of the year without getting any assets in return. It's pretty common knowledge here in calgary that if playoffs seem out of the picture by trade deadline iginla will be gone.

On a side note. calgary radio fan 960 has been talking about what his value is and they feel he's worth a; high end prospect, a 1st, and a role player (kassian type mold without as much scoring talent).

#27 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,857 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:15 AM

The West has never been more superior to the East as they look this season. Sharks, Hawks, Canucks...and if I have to pick a favourite, the Blues are downright scary.

The ironic thing is, this is the perfect year for a "Cinderella team" from the East to get a shot at the cup. Whoever comes out of the West is likely to be spent from the increased competition. They won't get a 15-game cakewalk cleared for them like the Kings did last year (team missing top scorer, team missing starting goaltender, and the freakin Coyotes).
Posted Image

#28 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,857 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:19 AM

That Top 6 is nothing to be scared about. Sure, Crosby and Malkin are top 5 players in the NHL but if they're shut down for a whole series, where will the scoring come from? Teams from the East in my eyes that can shut down not only Crosby, but Malkin at the same time in an entire seven game series are the Boston Bruins and New York Rangers. Otherwise, the Pens would just steamroll over anyone who dares to come in their path.

Seconded.

Malkin and Crosby scored lots of points leading up to the finals. But when it came to the hard-checking, winner-take-all final, it was guys like Staal and Talbot that put them over the top. Their bottom-6 is pretty weak now.
Posted Image

#29 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,857 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:20 AM

Why would Iggy want to leave? King of ES said Calgary was going to surprise, and win the NW division!

{Lulz}
Posted Image

#30 Kassian's Face

Kassian's Face

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:21 AM

It will be interesting to see where he goes, if he goes. But with the new cap system, 20 million over 4 years may be more realistic. Last year I could see Iggy worty a prospect, first, and a role player. With so little time left on his contract, he would only fetch that if Calgary let him talk with the other team about a guarantee to resign.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.