Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * - 5 votes

Canucks have to re-consider the possibility of moving Cory Schneider? Don't they?

• Please log in to reply
258 replies to this topic

#1 BurnabyJoe

BurnabyJoe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:05 AM

POPULAR

I have nothing against Cory Schneider and believe he isn't far away from elite goaltender status.

But he is still very unproven in comparison to Roberto Luongo.

With Luongo we get critical (and often overlooked) playoff experience and what no doubt is a much more mature goaltender than in years past.

He just might be our best option this spring.

Yes you could say I'm too into the current Luongo love-in. But we're we not all a little hysterical in anointing Cory Schneider our undisputed #1?

Yes he signed a 3 year deal under the presumption he'd be here, starting. But Roberto Luongo the man who has backstopped this team the past 6 seasons, signed a 12 year deal ALSO in good faith assuming he'd be here the rest of his career.

I know, the decision was made for on ice reasons only. But so is this one. Strictly business.

Do the Canucks not have to re-consider the possibility of moving Cory Schneider? If it makes the team better, it would be simply insane not to.
http://i8.photobucke...e/canucks40.jpg <- Jim Robson's 40th Anniversary Team.

#2 BurnabyJoe

BurnabyJoe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:07 AM

As important I forgot to mention the obvious.

Cory Schneider brings in a better return, for a team ready to win NOW.
http://i8.photobucke...e/canucks40.jpg <- Jim Robson's 40th Anniversary Team.

#3 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,012 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:08 AM

POPULAR

I've been saying it all along. Lu's better, more proven, and Cory will fetch a better return. Simple as that.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#4 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,212 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:11 AM

POPULAR

If we trade Schneider.

It will be like if Montreal traded Price instead of Halak, it is something we will regret. Just watch.

zackass.png

#5 ninja321

ninja321

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,958 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:16 AM

POPULAR

We'd get a better return but Schneider is younger and would benefit our team for the future. We'd regret it if we traded him.
Posted Image
Sig and Avatar by Me :)

#6 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:31 AM

people are thinking trading Schneider will get us more so that would probably get us a player that would help us right now and improve the team in front of Luongo, can't complain about that. But then it could backfire if Lu meltsdown or Schneider goes and becomes a superstar on the team we traded him to

or if you build for the future instead and trade Luongo for draft picks/prospects etc. and hope Schneider becomes the elite goalie everyone hopes he will be.

it's a gamble either way.

Edited by Primus099, 03 February 2013 - 01:31 AM.

#7 Dragonfruits

Dragonfruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,497 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:33 AM

ya like many have said schneider is for the future luongo can supply what 3-5 more years where schneider can supply 10 years lack and cannata are still relatively rookies in the ahl and only lack seems ready for back up position so we do have some goaltending depth but not enough to trade schneider and ride luongo til he retires or slows down

#8 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:41 AM

I'm sure they are already considering it and have been for quite some time.

Two things have to happen for CS to be traded.

1. MG thinks trading CS improves the team more than a Luongo trade does.
2. LU asks not to be traded.

#9 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:42 AM

If we trade Schneider.

It will be like if Montreal traded Price instead of Halak, it is something we will regret. Just watch.

Don't think Montreal is regretting trading Halak instead of Price. Thing is Schneider may be our future, but he is all we will have for this team in the future. We need to trade him to get the return and win now. With Sedins getting older, after a few years we will be a crappy team infront of solid goalie.
Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#10 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:42 AM

Not going to get into who should be traded but they have 2 very attractive assets and this team needs a shake-up in the top 6. The offensive output is abismal and Kesler and Booth aren't the silver bullet. The offense needs a major infusion of creativity and intensity and one of the goalies could land a strong enough, proven NHLer capable of making a difference.

Word has it Philly is looking to make a "big deal" to shake up their team. MG should be on the phone to Holmgren. Maybe he is.

#11 PlayStation

PlayStation

XBox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,274 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:54 AM

If we trade Schneider.

What's there to regret? Not as if Price didnt turn out good, franchise goaltender for them. But if we can get a good return for Schneider, I'm happy.
Posted Image

"Real Men" :bigblush:

#12 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,212 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:56 AM

Don't think Montreal is regretting trading Halak instead of Price. Thing is Schneider may be our future, but he is all we will have for this team in the future. We need to trade him to get the return and win now. With Sedins getting older, after a few years we will be a crappy team infront of solid goalie.

I said if they had traded Price instead of Halak.

You can't look at trading away one of our most valuable assets for a one shot or bust thing. And what are we expecting to get? A superstar? Highly unlikely.

If we get someone that is a star player, then I'm sure MG will do. But realistically what will we actually get for Schneider? Probably just better futures. No reason to do it, we don't need more depth. This perception that Cory will get us a start player or some much needed major asset is actually very unlikely.

Luongo has had his opportunities in the playoffs and hasn't played to his capabilities, it is time for Schneider to get that chance, as I think he is more capable of pulling a Thomas/Quick than Luongo is.

If we trade Schneider we will regret it.

zackass.png

#13 CptCanuck16

CptCanuck16

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:57 AM

I've been saying it all along. Lu's better, more proven, and Cory will fetch a better return. Simple as that.

And then what happens when the stakes are high and Lu starts blowing games in the playoffs? Just keep playing him and hope for the best?

#14 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,212 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:58 AM

What's there to regret? Not as if Price didnt turn out good, franchise goaltender for them. But if we can get a good return for Schneider, I'm happy.

Again, imagine if they traded Price instead of Halak, now look at them, they would be at the bottom of the eastern conference While St.Louis would be at the top of the West, with the better goalie.

Everyone is jumping the ship cause Lu had a few great games (Which I was expecting all along) Schneider will jump back in and play just aswell as he has.

zackass.png

#15 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,003 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:03 AM

POPULAR

Luongo or GTFO.

Posted Image

No but really keep em both until the seasons done, it gives us a better chance to win... Then trade Schneider :)

Edited by Armada, 03 February 2013 - 02:05 AM.

Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#16 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:05 AM

ya like many have said schneider is for the future luongo can supply what 3-5 more years where schneider can supply 10 years lack and cannata are still relatively rookies in the ahl and only lack seems ready for back up position so we do have some goaltending depth but not enough to trade schneider and ride luongo til he retires or slows down

I seriously couldn't understand what you just said....

#17 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,012 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:06 AM

And then what happens when the stakes are high and Lu starts blowing games in the playoffs? Just keep playing him and hope for the best?

Ever gonna let go of the past? It's now been years since he had a meltdown. Might as well also think that we'll never score in the playoffs ever again if we're using that logic.

#18 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,012 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:10 AM

POPULAR

If we trade Schneider.

One could argue that it would be the other way around. Price would be like Lu as in being the established #1 goalie until Halak/Cory took over temporarily.

#19 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,003 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:14 AM

One could argue that it would be the other way around. Price would be like Lu as in being the established #1 goalie until Halak/Cory took over temporarily.

Exactly this.

Halak took over the job from Price and everyone loved him. Then when they traded Halak, all the Habs fans had their arms up in the air but since then Price has really benefited them and has been a solid #1 goalie. Don't think Habs fans regret it at all.

#KeepLuongo

Edited by Armada, 03 February 2013 - 02:15 AM.

Posted Image

#20 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,212 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:23 AM

Price wasn't the established #1 though.

He was the unproven kid with sky high potential, that's Schneider.

Halak was the guy coming off a very hot performance which turned fans in his favor, That's Luongo.

Had they made the same move you want us to do, alot of fans would be regretting it now as Price is easily the better goaltending.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 03 February 2013 - 02:23 AM.

zackass.png

#21 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,003 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:27 AM

POPULAR

Halak was the guy coming off a very hot performance which turned fans in his favor, That's Luongo.

Had they made the same move you want us to do, alot of fans would be regretting it now as Price is easily the better goaltending.

Ughhh...

You got it all wrong.

This was Luongo's team, Schneider played well last season and took over apparently and turned into a fan favorite.

Edited by Armada, 03 February 2013 - 02:30 AM.

Posted Image

#22 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,212 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:34 AM

Ughhh...

You got it all wrong.

This was Luongo's team, Schneider played well last season and took over apparently and turned into a fan favorite.

We are talking about the most recent turn of fan opinion.

At the time Schneider took over, everyone was on Schneiders side it seemed. Just like everyone in MTL once had all there eggs in Price's basket. Then Luongo played as well as he did yesterday, and things started to change. Halak played aswell as he did in the cup run, and things started to change.

Then management went with the who they thought would be the best option long term aswell as short term, and Wham. They made the right call.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 03 February 2013 - 02:35 AM.

zackass.png

#23 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,012 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:34 AM

Price was the established #1 until the playoffs of 2010. Price was the starter for a couple years before that, well before Halak came into the picture.

I think you got it backwards here.

#24 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,012 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:37 AM

At the time Schneider took over, everyone was on Schneiders side it seemed. Just like everyone in MTL once had all there eggs in Price's basket. Then Luongo played as well as he did yesterday, and things started to change. Halak played aswell as he did in the cup run, and things started to change.

Well I don't think we can fairly make any comparisons to Montreal if we're only basing this off what happened last week.

Both teams had their controversy in the playoffs, which is far different from the first 2 weeks of the regular season

#25 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,003 posts

Then management went with the who they thought would be the best option long term aswell as short term, and Wham. They made the right call.

You realize what you're saying is that trading Schneider would be the right call then?

Price was the starter, Halak took over, got traded, Price remained starter.

Example:

Luongo was the starter, Schneider took over, got traded, Luongo remained starter.
Posted Image

#26 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,212 posts

Price was the established #1 until the playoffs of 2010. Price was the starter for a couple years before that, well before Halak came into the picture.

I think you got it backwards here.

Circumstances & specifics are a tad different, but it is the same basic picture.

But it is like I said above.

Price was the starter, and then Halak played great and changed fan opinion.

Schneider was apparently the starter, then Luongo played great, and changed fan opinion.

MTL went against that and made the correct call, I am hoping we do the same.

zackass.png

#27 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,212 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:38 AM

You realize what you're saying is that trading Schneider would be the right call then?

Price was the starter, Halak took over, got traded, Price remained starter.

Example:

Luongo was the starter, Schneider took over, got traded, Luongo remained starter.

No Schneider was apparently the starter, Luongo just took over according to everyone. And now he has fan opinion.

zackass.png

#28 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,212 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:40 AM

Well I don't think we can fairly make any comparisons to Montreal if we're only basing this off what happened last week.

Both teams had their controversy in the playoffs, which is far different from the first 2 weeks of the regular season

This is exactly why we shouldn't trade Schneider!!!

Luongo played great last week, its 8 games into the season, for all we know Schnieder could jump back in next game, and go on an even longer streak. It is waaayy to early to jump the gun like this.

Personally I think we should hold onto both for the time being, but Luongo is the one that ultimately should go, as Schneider overall is the better and more valuable option for us.

zackass.png

#29 Tom Sestito

Tom Sestito

Probably Not A Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:41 AM

v ugly
Posted Image
Thank you VC!

#30 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,012 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:41 AM

Circumstances & specifics are a tad different, but it is the same basic picture.

But it is like I said above.

Price was the starter, and then Halak played great and changed fan opinion.

Schneider was apparently the starter, then Luongo played great, and changed fan opinion.

MTL went against that and made the correct call, I am hoping we do the same.

That's what's different. Schneider could barely be called a starter. He was starter for what, 3 or 4 games? Price was starter for a couple of years.

And I don't think Lu's recent play has changed many people's opinions. Everyone who wanted him gone still does for the most part.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.