The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Spotted at PIT/WSH game - Mike Gillis and Laurence Gilman

Strombone1

Coach Adam Oates explained why he opted to insert Poti into the mix rather than Roman Hamrlik.

“Because we’re still evaluating Tom. Before he got hurt, he was a top-four defenseman, and we’re obviously looking for him to regain that,” Oates said. “When the other guys stepped in, they played well, so that’s why they were playing, and Tom got a chance to watch and get some more conditioning and practices with the NHL speed, so hopefully he can step right in.”

In response to the presence of Gillis and Gilman in WSH today, two beat writers for the caps reported that they have been told that all Luongo speculation is unfounded and they have made no inquiries as to his availability.

Thats great that these beat reporters are denying the caps have called gillis in order to drive down the price, but there are a few obvious things that go against this.

1.The caps goaltending is terrible

Holtby let his team down today with that third goal- for serious. Neuvirth failed last year and his play has been very fluctuant- up and down at best.

2.The caps are more of a "win now" team with obi, laich, brooks, Green in their prime years, they have years left but they probably do not want to wait 3-4 years for Holtby to get better- and we have all seen what Neuvirth is capable of.

3.They have the assets

4. Did I mention their goaltending is awful?

5.Their goaltending is awful- watch the highlights

I don't know enough about Johannson but if Laich + Broweur + Holtby is possbile I would take it.

Luongo, Raymond, Higgins.

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Booth Kesler Schroeder

Burrows Laich Brouwer

Hansen Lapierre Volpatti

Probably the best 3rd line this team has ever had, size, grit, fight, scoring, and fore check all in their 27-31 year old prime

Holtby with Schneider and Lack will be a great project to always have a goaltender than can perform at an insane level.

2nd line with Schroeder may be risky but, if it doesn't work we can always throw Hansen Burrows or Brouwer up there.

People have said our bottom 6 of

Raymond Schroeder Hansen

Higgins Lapierre Volpatti/Malhotra/Ebbett

Can get it done, I don't know what they're smoking.

Higgins has evaporated, and if Raymond and Schroeder are our 3rd line going into playoffs I may just cheer for another team lol.

I don't know enough about Johannson but if Laich + Broweur + Holtby is possbile I would take it.

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Booth Kesler Schroeder

Burrows Laich Brouwer

Hansen Lapierre Volpatti

Probably the best 3rd line this team has ever had, size, grit, fight, scoring, and fore check all in their 27-31 year old prime

Like i've mentioned before Kuznetsov is unreal good with a superstar potential. Only thing is I don't see him coming to play for the canucks. He himself said that if Ovechkin, Datzyuk, and Kovalchuk weren't in the NHL he wouldn't even consider coming over. So I definately think him playing with Ovechkin is a big drving force to make the transition to the NHL

Plus he just resigned his KHL contract for another 2 years in the summer since he felt he had a better chance at making the Olympic team if he stayed in Russia. He is a great player with a huge upside, I just don't see him ever wanting to come to play with vancouver.

Forsberg may not have the top end potential as Kuznetsov but I think he'd be a better fit with our team and less risk. It would really suck to give luongo up for a player that may never play a game in the NHL.

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Booth Kesler Schroeder

Burrows Laich Brouwer

Hansen Lapierre Volpatti

Holtby with Schneider and Lack will be a great project to always have a goaltender than can perform at an insane level.

2nd line with Schroeder may be risky but, if it doesn't work we can always throw Hansen Burrows or Brouwer up there.

People have said our bottom 6 of

Raymond Schroeder Hansen

Higgins Lapierre Volpatti/Malhotra/Ebbett

Can get it done, I don't know what they're smoking.

Higgins has evaporated, and if Raymond and Schroeder are our 3rd line going into playoffs I may just cheer for another team lol.

Seeing how no one saw the Hodgson/Kassian deal coming, who knows what MG is really up to. We all try to read way too much into his presense there and we're probably all way off base at the end of the day.

Just sit and wait till a deal (if any) comes down.

And for the record, I wouldn't want OV anyway, let him be Washington's curse: lots of personal awards, but playoffs?? (Yeah yeah, the same can be said for LU)

Luongo Ballard 1st for Green Brouwer Forsberg.

Salary going that way about 9.5 mil and coming back this way about 9.7 mil

or Lu Ballard 1st and Raymond for Green Brouwer Forsberg and a goalie

or Lu Ballard Shredder for Green Brouwer and Wilson

I like Green cause he would help our PP and hes had a 56 73 and 76 pt seasons before comparable to our 3rd best offensive player Kes with 59 73 and 75 pt seasons. Also he is a right hand shot. It would be like having an Ehrhoff on roids.

Knock on him is his health and has a limited ntc.

Sedins Kass

booth Kes Burr

brouwer Lappy Hansen

Higgy Manny VolP

Hammer Juice shutdown

Eddie Green firepower

Garrison Tanev balanced

Cory

backup

what do guys think?

One of two scenarios would have to happen for us to be able to get Ovechkin:

1) We gut our team and trade away the future

or

2) We get to take back a certain amount of Ovi's cap hit

Option 1 is the most likely scenario to happen but if option 2 could happen why not pull the trigger on a Luongo+++ deal?

I suggested earlier:

To Washington - Luongo, Ballard, one of Higgins/Raymond (to fill the loss of Brouwer), maybe a 3rd, possibly a contract dump as I think the deal as stated would put the Canucks over the allowed number of contracts.

To Vancouver - Brouwer, Johansson, Orlov, Hamrlik (cap dump), a 2013 2nd or maybe a 2014 1st.

Vancouver drops a lot of cap and an extra winger contract who will likely be gone anyways after the season is over if he stays here. They lose a good d-man in Ballard, but his cap hit makes him difficult to keep past this season.

Vancouver gets a solid 3LW and a stronger left side in general. Johansson gives the team a lot more offense out of the 3C position. Hamrlik can replace Ballard for the remainder of the season. Orlov can perhaps fill in at Ballard's spot next season. He looks to have some offensive upside.

Washington gets Luongo. Ballard would likely be useful to them this season, and next as they appear that they may have a high turn-over after this season is over. Higgins or Raymond can fill in on the third line.

regards,

G.

Archived