24 replies to this topic

#1 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:53 PM

WHERE JORDAN SCHROEDER FITS IN ONCE RYAN KESLER AND DAVID BOOTH RETURN TO THE LINEUP

Patrick Johnston
February 08 2013 03:32PM

Going somewhere, Jordan?

Before the season, I wrote about how it was time for Jordan Schroeder to get his chance. Over the course of the past two seasons, hed proved himself to be a solid two-way performer in Chicago and I figured it was time to test him at a higher level.

Hes been getting plenty of press lately and with Schroeder continuing his strong play in his hometown on Thursday night, it all fit into a lovely narrative. But histrionic gushing aside, we shouldn't let any of that obscure the fact that on the whole, hes made the transition well and looks like he belongs at the NHL level (though he still needs to be more productive offensively).

One other thing is equally clear, though: hes no Ryan Kesler. More on the Canucks two American centres after the jump.

Last week Drance wrote about the four ways that the Canucks miss Ryan Kesler. One of those areas is his even-strength dominance. Kesler plays tough minutes in his own zone, turns the puck the other way and still generates plenty of offence.

If theres one thing to point to in the difference between their respective games, its this.

Schroeder has faced relatively straightforward minutes in his 7 NHL games hes seventh among Canucks forwards in Quality of Competition. Hes playing a relatively even game in those minutes youd like to see more shots while hes on the ice, but the sample size is still quite small - and it will bear watching to see where his corsi numbers go over the next fifteen games or so.

Kesler, on the other hand, faced the fifith tough competition among regular Canucks forwards in 2011-12, grouped with his most frequent linemates, David Booth and Chris Higgins.

If we go off the lineup that Alain Vigneault used on Thursday night and look to triangulate what will happen when Kesler returns - as Jeff Angus did just the other day - it seems pretty clear that one of Mason Raymond or Jannik Hansen will slide down to the third line, leaving Kesler to play with one of those two and either Chris Higgins, Zack Kassian or Alex Burrows. With David Booth still out, it seems likely that Schroeder will remain in the lineup, centring what would be a very speedy third line. Kesler would draw tougher match ups than Schroeder, allowing the diminutive Minnesotan more high-quality development time.

That is, unless the Canucks decide to try out Ryan Kesler on the wing. On August 21st, this past summer, Canucks Assisstant General Manager Laurence Gilman appeared on the Team1040 for a full hour with Matt Sekeres. At one point during the illuminating chat (which Drance covered at length at the time), Gilman was asked whether or not the Canucks needed a "playmaking winger" to play alongside David Booth and Ryan Kesler.

Vancouver's resident capologist and chief analytics guy scoffed at the notion a bit, and quipped "playmaking winger? That's a good euphemism." But he went on to give a fascinating answer, even describing his seeming preference for playing Ryan Kesler on the wing.

"Ryan is a finisher, he's a shooter and he's a unique centreiceman (he's also really good at Faceoffs which is a key role for a centreiceman)," explained Gilman, "but some of the best hockey Kesler played in my time here is when he played right wing, with Mats Sundin in the middle." He continued to discuss a scenario in which the Canucks might consider moving Ryan Kesler over the wing, "When you have assets like Jordan Schroeder you have the luxury of maybe playing Ryan with other players."

So what has become a recent talking point among Canucks fans and media, is actually something Laurence Gilman was discussing as early as late August of 2012. Whether or not we'll actually see this come to pass, however, will obviously depend on whether or not Jordan Schroeder can continue to impress with his two-way game over the next dozen or so games.

Transcribed Gilman quotes are courtesy Thomas Drance, and Gilman gave those quotes during his hour long Team 1040 interview with Matt Sekeres on August 21st, 2012. Unfortunately the podcast is no longer hosted on the Team 1040 webpage.

Patrick Johnston is a freelance journalist in Vancouver. In addition to regular contributions here at Canucks Army, his work has appeared in The Province, Hockey Now and on the CBC. Check out his blog and other writing at http://johnstonwrites.wordpress.com or follow him on twitter: @risingaction

Just thought I'd share that with you guys. I personally would love to see Schroeder between Kesler and Booth.

Edited by RyanKeslord17, 09 February 2013 - 01:57 PM.

Posted Image

#2 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64,337 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:55 PM

On the 3rd line.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Kassian
Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen
Higgins - Malhotra - Lapierre
Posted Image

#3 Machine Gun Kelly

Machine Gun Kelly

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,492 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:55 PM

with our depth, there is no way we shouldn't make it to the finals.
Posted Image

#4 Ugli Fruit

Ugli Fruit

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,849 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:00 PM

On the 3rd line.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Kassian
Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen
Higgins - Malhotra - Lapierre

That second line is very intriguing. I'm not sure whether it will dominate or stink.

Formerly known as LordofBrussels

There we have it folks, we have literally blamed everyone for everything at this point

Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#5 Kola Nuts

Kola Nuts

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:09 PM

I`d like to see what Schroeder can accomplish setting up Kesler & Booth. Both of those guys need a playmaker badly. Kassian with Kesler & Booth is pretty much having the same 3 types of players on one line.

However, Schroeder has made Raymond much better and seems to work well with Hansen as well.

Posted Image

#6 Spotted Zebra

Spotted Zebra

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:14 PM

Not sure about this season, but in a perfect world, next year it would be

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Booth - Schroeder - Kesler
Burrows - Lapierre - Higgins
Volpatti - Pinozotto - Hansen

as the forward pairings, Jensen could also steal Higgins spot

Edited by Spotted Zebra, 09 February 2013 - 02:15 PM.

Posted Image
Thanks Vintage Canuck!

#7 Yotes

Yotes

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:20 PM

i cant see higgins playing 4th line, and no toughness without volpatti? I think once booth and kesler are back i think schroeder gets sent down to play top min in the ahl

Unless a trade is made where we loose a forward i cant see schroeder staying here all year

#8 KraKassian

KraKassian

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:21 PM

That second line is very intriguing. I'm not sure whether it will dominate or stink.

Either way it will be a pain in the ass,

with one of the league's best Two Way Defenseman and Two Power Forwards(one speedy and good on the rush, and one offensively aware with great passing) that line should at least be a literal pain in the ass, either for outworking the opponent or being able to outmuscle them.

The 3rd line really looks promising though, so much speed and talent.

#9 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:23 PM

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Come on you guys, as much as I'd like to keep the little bugger he ain't playing on the 2nd line to push Hansen or Higgins to the forth and Volpatti out of the lineup.

And centering Kesler?

Lord have mercy

Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#10 Rypien37

Rypien37

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,269 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:25 PM

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Would love that, but I think Hansen would be underutilized playing 4th line minutes.
Posted Image

R.I.P. Your heart and fearlessness will be remembered

#11 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,676 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:28 PM

Get Kassian up with the twins before the playoffs so if we need more muscle on that line, there's chemisty. Put Schroeder ad Booth on the 3rd to spread out scoring.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassquatch
Raymond-Kesler-Burrows
Booth-Schroeder-Hansen
Higgins-Lapierre-Volpatti

Malhotra

Edited by Number14, 09 February 2013 - 02:30 PM.

o08j21.jpg

Thanks for the sig Twilight Sparkle

#12 KraKassian

KraKassian

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:29 PM

Come on you guys, as much as I'd like to keep the little bugger he ain't playing on the 2nd line to push Hansen or Higgins to the forth and Volpatti out of the lineup.

And centering Kesler?

Lord have mercy

Yea, people seem to forget Kesler is more so a playmaker than a goal scorer for the better part of his career, his highest point total season had him sitting with 50 assists and 25 goals, and the rest of his career say for his 40+ goal season reflects his playmaking ability.

#13 Kassian's Face

Kassian's Face

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:29 PM

i cant see higgins playing 4th line, and no toughness without volpatti? I think once booth and kesler are back i think schroeder gets sent down to play top min in the ahl

Unless a trade is made where we loose a forward i cant see schroeder staying here all year

I agree with this except for the part about Higgy not being on the 4th line. With all our depth I don't see him being able to hold onto a 3rd line spot next year and he will either be traded, bought out, or on the 4th line. Hopefully on the 4th line so we got some ridiculous depth.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Kassian
Raymond - Schroeder - Jensen
Higgins - Hansen - Lapierre

lol it wont be 4 lines it would be
Scoring Line
Shutdown Line
Speed Line
Secondary Scoring Line

#14 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:34 PM

Kesler when he broke in had almost no offensive contribution.

Neither did Pavol Datsyk (sp!) or a host of other players.

We don't know the type of player Schroeder will become. He isn't a power forward, but he could be extrememly effective.

Ridiculous to make judgements too soon. Typical crap journalism - all about hype without an understanding of the process...

#15 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,973 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:38 PM

Saw that the other day, and I hope he somehow fits on the 2nd between Kesler and Booth since he adds a playmaker to that line. However, I'm sure it'd be ok if this went in one of the many lineup threads:
Burrows or Kassian on the top line once Kesler is back?
When Kesler is back, who goes down?
Canucks Forward Lines when Kesler and Booth comes back?
Lines when Kesler is back
Wondering about lines when Kesler & Booth return.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#16 Kassian's Face

Kassian's Face

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:40 PM

Saw that the other day, and I hope he somehow fits on the 2nd between Kesler and Booth since he adds a playmaker to that line. However, I'm sure it'd be ok if this went in one of the many lineup threads:

Its not officially a thread until Elvis 15 calls it redundant.

#17 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:44 PM

Schroeder won't go back to the AHL.........just get rid of someone esle as he is like the fourth best playmaker in the team that make a good pass

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#18 stawns

stawns

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,569 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:58 PM

I`d like to see what Schroeder can accomplish setting up Kesler & Booth. Both of those guys need a playmaker badly. Kassian with Kesler & Booth is pretty much having the same 3 types of players on one line.

However, Schroeder has made Raymond much better and seems to work well with Hansen as well.

Actually, I would argue that Kassian's passing abilities might be his best, though underrated, asset. He has tremendous vision and his passing is outstanding

#19 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

REPORTING POSTS

If you see a post or thread violating the rules, please use the Report Post function, and let the moderators deal with it. Note that reporting a post does not give you the right to break rules in retaliation. Please do not post that you have reported someone else, as that will likely make the situation worse and could be considered trolling.

Do not be a mini-mod. Telling other users to stop trolling, flaming or baiting will probably not make the situation better. Spamming the rules and telling people you have reported them will be considered trolling. Report the post and leave the rest to the moderation team.

All reported posts are sent to a moderation queue which is routinely cleared by the moderation team. Please allow at least 12 hours for a moderator response (although we are usually quite quick). If no action is taken on your reported post, please feel free to ask the moderators (via personal message) about it. Understand that moderators are not required to take action on every moderated post, as they may not see the situation the same way as you do.
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#20 Karlsson`s Flo

Karlsson`s Flo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:05 PM

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Hansen
Raymond-Schreoder-Kassian
Higgins-Lappy-Weise

There's a log jam of wingers fighting for 2nd line minutes. It's kinda up in the air for me. AV should have fun trying to figure it out.
Posted Image

#21 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,145 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:12 PM

Yes,agreed,but Burrows digs the pucks out of the corners which Kass does not manage as effectively.
So,Kassian benefits more from the Sedins than vice versa.
Kass parks in front of the net on PP's with the Twins and rides shotgun when there is an idiot alert.
Otherwise,Burr plays even strength minutes with the Twins.

#22 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:13 PM

I would just want to try this out for a game:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Schroeder-Kesler
Higgins-Lapierre-Kassian
Raymond-Malhotra-Hansen

Unbelieve depth. Each line has a serious scoring ability. I would play lines 3 & 4 completely even. Something like this:

Line 1: 17 mins
Line 2. 17 mins
Line 3: 13 mins
Line 4: 13 mins

This takes the pressure off our first TWO lines to score. Not many teams can say that

Edited by RyanKeslord17, 09 February 2013 - 03:16 PM.

Posted Image

#23 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,616 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:20 PM

He has earned the right to stay. Whether it be on the third line or second, this kid will strut his stuff now that the jitters are gone.
Posted Image

#24 Derp...

Derp...

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,442 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:24 PM

Anyway you slice it we still got a nice big ol' pie to divvy up into our 4 slices. Can't wait to see what this group can accomplish next 2-3 years... Could be some very good ones like multi cup ones if you know what I mean!

Henrik for mayor of vancouver once he retires
Sig too big.

#25 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,943 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:30 PM

Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.