The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Injury] Karlsson achilles cut 70% in battle with Cooke, out 3-4 mo after surgery

elvis15

No way the league was going to suspend Cooke. The NHL does not want a black eye especially coming out of a lockout. If they suspend him then the police may get involved and charge Cooke. This would drag on for years.

It would be difficult to explain how a player could cut another player's achilles tendon in their sport.

NHL pretends its an accident and life carries on. I expect TSN and SPSN analysts to do the responsible thing and play along so their bread and butter provider does not take a hit. Otherwise CNN reports on what happened and NHL gets another black eye on par with the Bertuzzi incident.

I called it yesterday. NHL brushed it under the carpet.

Great question.

For the life of me, I can not figure out why more guys don't wear them.

The first thing that came to my mind when I saw the video was Cooke knew what he was doing. Immediately after the 2nd thing that came to mind was, why is Karlsson not wearing Kevlar socks?

Shouldn't visors be mandatory? Gloves with longer cuffs? Not having those areas protected results in injuries for players as well, but it's a personal choice that players wear equipment that protects them better or not.

I was thinking why don't they make hockey socks with the kevlar protection built in. Obviously with the stirrup style hockey socks have, the hockey sock doesn't cover as much as a regular sock as you get down lower to the foot, but I'd think that could be easily adjusted. I haven't played hockey in several years but remember a few pairs of hockey socks that were a bit lower and it didn't bother me at all.

To me the question isn't whether Cooke intended to injure Karlsson (which i think he didn't) but rather if his play was reckless or not. Fumbling about with a knee at the back of an opponent trying to pin him and then put it down with force with no control where the blade goes. Its just asking for someone to get hurt. If this really was a standard play (as i recall TSN experts argued) then i think there would be a lot more severe injuries in this league.

If you intentionally lift your blade in close proximity to another player you better know where it goes down before you put any weight on it.

Archived