Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

[VIDEO] An Entrance Proposal Amidst Such Controversy -- Addressed to DJ Dave.

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:32 AM

POPULAR

As Canucks fans have debated the possibility of a new entrance theme throughout the past several weeks, it appears opinions have been completely divided. There are those who do not enjoy techno, and those who not appreciate too heavy a sound. There are those who dislike the idea of generic tracks that receive playback in most arenas. The consensus, however, appears to be that the team needs a unique theme. The choices selected by the Canucks organization for their NU2 Project have been, in the opinions of most fans, underwhelming, and there is nothing to identify with the Canucks or to capture and enhance the Canucks as a brand.

For many, "Where the Streets Have No Name" had an appealing sound that encapsulated the "west coast" sound with the iconic guitar riffs of U2's The Edge. I propose a similar sound. I present a edited/recut instrumental version of "Platform Moon" from Jupiter One's self-titled 2008 album, "Jupiter One." The track features a style consistent with the "west coast" sound, described by some as having a "haunting oceanic sound," but also presenting a kind of intensity, aggression, and coolness not featured in "Where the Streets Have No Name." It is also more upbeat than its U2 counterpart, addressing the problem many had with "Streets." The track is unique in the world of sports, and I feel it could become a part of the Canucks brand easily. Early feedback on other forums has been positive, and while I was too late to officially enter the NU2 competition, I feel with enough support it might receive consideration. After all, DJ Dave's soundtrack is always experimenting with new ideas. I feel this can be a secondary theme for the team, an alternative to U2 without abandoning that sound. While there are suggestions about entrance songs, I believe finding a theme to identify the team with is important.

To achieve this cut of the song, a number of simple edits need to be made. If I had a WAV file of it available (i.e. lossless audio), I'd cut it and have it ready for DJ Dave right away. If he is comfortable with using a normalized MP3 file, I have that available already. Hopefully this will provide an alternative to some of the other suggestions being made.

I'd like to hear your thoughts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcPw7k3A3Qk

Edited by WeatherWise, 16 February 2013 - 09:01 AM.

The greatest segue into a weather segment.

#2 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,990 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:43 AM

POPULAR

I'm starting to get annoyed with our discussions about the intro and goal song.

These are the least important topics that need to be addressed on our team, not to mention its not like we'll ever all agree on a song,
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#3 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:52 AM

I'm starting to get annoyed with our discussions about the intro and goal song.

These are the least important topics that need to be addressed on our team, not to mention its not like we'll ever all agree on a song,

It is, however, an important part of this team's presentation. As an event and as a form of entertainment, it should be a priority for the organization to present its entire product well. The Canucks organization does a remarkable job, whether it be with the professional sound of their Public Address Announcers (Al Murdoch and John Ashbridge), the Jumbotron presentation, multimedia and promotion, or the in-house music, it all goes towards having a tremendous product. Canucks fans should be proud of what they have, and the staff put in a lot of work into making this a first-class event. If the Canucks are going to select an alternative to their entrance music, however, some consideration should be put into finding a theme that can encompass the brand and the team. The Chicago Bulls of the NBA, for example, found incredible success with The Alan Parsons Project's "Sirius."

Edited by WeatherWise, 16 February 2013 - 08:55 AM.

#4 TotesMagotes

TotesMagotes

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:55 AM

I like it. But wouldnt you rather have a bit more of an intimidating song? Something a little heavier that says were gonna $&@! you up tonight...

But yeah i do like it.
Posted Image

#5 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:08 AM

I like it. But wouldnt you rather have a bit more of an intimidating song? Something a little heavier that says were gonna $&@! you up tonight...

But yeah i do like it.

The Montreal Canadiens do an incredible job capturing the essence of their team's history in their current opening. One would not initially find Coldplay's "Fix You" to be compatible, but the Habs' concentration on capturing the nostalgia and emotion of their fanbase allows the theme to flourish and enhance the product. The track's mood is one of pride and triumph, and that carries over into the sentiments of the Canadiens crowd when the team skates out.

I feel it's important to capture a particular sound rather than to use generic pump up music. Unfortunately, with the unveiling of the candidates in the NU2 project, it looks like the organization has received the wrong message. An entrance should be as far from generic as possible. I believe an entrance should reflect its team and its city. The team is cool, focused, and intense. The team does its best to capture the west coast concept, and the oceanic sound of the track integrates and reflects that. I think "Streets" is very close to that, but is a bit too light in tone. The percussion in "Platform" is more noticeable and defined, and the melody carries a different mood. While "Streets" is a theme of redemption, "Platform" is one of poise and aggression.

Thanks for the comment.

Edited by WeatherWise, 16 February 2013 - 09:31 AM.

#6 AriGold

AriGold

Hairy Old

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,014 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:28 AM

Gonna be 100% honest, I actually like it. Like the user above said I would almost like something heavier but it is good.

Posted Image

#7 EveILL

EveILL

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:35 AM

Not bad, I can get into it for maybe 30 seconds, then too repetitive. But would rather this than the ice capades trance crap.

#8 canucklesmith

canucklesmith

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:37 AM

weaksauce

#9 KING ALBERTS

KING ALBERTS

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:40 AM

ive given up any hope of them coming up with a better intro than U2 - or a better tracklist for rogers arena. i mean look at the poll choices, nickelback was the only band i recognized... and EVERY song was garbage. vancouver will always go with trendy, cut and paste radio garbage that nobody will remember in a month. its a reflection of the city unfortunately.
Posted ImagePosted Image

i fel off the banwagon and hit my hed on a rok

#10 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:50 AM

I really like U2 and the beginning of this song kinda gives me the same vibe as Where the Streets Have No Names. I like the beginning, but I'm not a big fan of the other part of the song for a pump-up. I thought that they were trying to bring in a more intimidiating song for whatever reason (not that I care). I wouldn't mind sticking with the streets if we are going to go to another song that has the same type of vibe. Still a lot better than the majority of songs I've heard for the intros though.

I also wouldn't mind doing something similar to what the Hawks do. I kinda like how they switch songs to introduce players.

Edited by The Brahma Bull, 16 February 2013 - 09:58 AM.

#11 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:12 AM

I thought it was ok but in no way did it seem any more "aggressive" than U2.

#12 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,946 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:21 AM

So, how is this different from the U2 opening? It's got it's own melody but it's the same idea and pace of the song with strumming guitars, yet it's less identifiable and hasn't been a part of our branding for the last however many years. That means a no from me.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#13 nucks4sure

nucks4sure

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:25 AM

i would like to hear a peice of music with those large japanese drums(sorrry don't know the name)as the back ground with a more aggressive music surrounding it.When those drums are played loud you can feel it .

#14 The Hornet

The Hornet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,651 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:25 AM

POPULAR

U2 is way better.

Gives Canucks fans a feeling of pride for the team, sends chills down the spine. Not too mention it fits the air raid siren perfectly!

It's too bad they turn down the crowd noise on TV...

Posted Image

#15 CanucksAtmosphere

CanucksAtmosphere

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:27 AM

While I like U2 better, I think that if we must go for an alternative, this is perfect. You captured everything that was good about U2 - the "haunting oceanic sound" that encapsulates the aura of Vancouver and the West Coast.

I'm tired of everyone talking about how it's not "intimidating" or "aggressive". "Aggressive" is overrated and played out. "Aggressive" is used by teams like Phoenix or Carolina - teams that use rotating "aggressive" music to compensate for the fact that they don't have the aura of tradition that comes with decades of hockey history.

We need something that represents the tradition of the Canucks and the importance of the team in Vancouver - especially something that epitomizes our great city of Vancouver. Something that includes the "haunting oceanic sound" and the natural, chilling beauty of Vancouver, as previously mentioned. Something that truly makes you think of Vancouver when you hear it. Now does some loud, aggressive rock sound really remind you of Vancouver and a long hockey tradition?

Let's look at Montreal for example, the most storied hockey team in the NHL. Do they go with some aggressive song to "pump up fans"? No, they play "Fix You" by Coldplay, which they have for years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDfHlirkT4w

Now that's bone-chilling. But if that moment were replaced with some generic aggressive rock song, that incredible aura in Montreal would be diminished. Why? Because Montreal has history and tradition, and that song is both part of it and represents it. And yes, when I hear "Fix You", I think of Montreal.

Edited by CanucksAtmosphere, 16 February 2013 - 10:31 AM.

#16 Kevin Biestra

Kevin Biestra

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:29 AM

There is really only one song that will work properly in gearing up the crowd and inspiring the Canucks to play their best.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Biestra speaks. Biestra educates.

Let Canucks management know you want King Richard Brodeur in the Ring of Honour with no further delay! He's been retired for 25 years!

http://forum.canucks...e-king-richard/

#17 Laoag

Laoag

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:05 PM

that is one of the better ones ive heard!

listen to my bands song, let me know what you guys think! i think this could be a good fit!

https://soundcloud.c...04/soldiers-eye

#18 canso

canso

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:17 PM

This sounds really good, it's a great way of achieving the same kind of atmosphere as U2 without the embarassing "I want to run, I want to hide" thing.

I think the only trouble with it is that it's lacking in dynamics. It sets up a great atmosphere and tension, but that tension doesn't really bust out into anything more intense. It's a bit of a flatline in terms of energy.

The U2 track is a bit more effectively structured in that regard, U2 being an archetypal pop group they would make sure of that. The way the rhythm section picks up at the end of the intro takes it up a notch, and I think that's what the one you've chosen is lacking.

#19 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,694 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

I like it.
Thing is it will come under the same criticism that has led people to not want to use the U2 intro, and if that is going to be the case we might as well just stick with U2.
Posted Image

#20 Toni Zamboni

Toni Zamboni

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,623 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:13 PM

sorry, but that music is just not doing it....it doesnt work at all, and creates the wrong vibe.

#21 CanucksFan95

CanucksFan95

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:30 PM

As Canucks fans have debated the possibility of a new entrance theme throughout the past several weeks, it appears opinions have been completely divided. There are those who do not enjoy techno, and those who not appreciate too heavy a sound. There are those who dislike the idea of generic tracks that receive playback in most arenas. The consensus, however, appears to be that the team needs a unique theme. The choices selected by the Canucks organization for their NU2 Project have been, in the opinions of most fans, underwhelming, and there is nothing to identify with the Canucks or to capture and enhance the Canucks as a brand.

For many, "Where the Streets Have No Name" had an appealing sound that encapsulated the "west coast" sound with the iconic guitar riffs of U2's The Edge. I propose a similar sound. I present a edited/recut instrumental version of "Platform Moon" from Jupiter One's self-titled 2008 album, "Jupiter One." The track features a style consistent with the "west coast" sound, described by some as having a "haunting oceanic sound," but also presenting a kind of intensity, aggression, and coolness not featured in "Where the Streets Have No Name." It is also more upbeat than its U2 counterpart, addressing the problem many had with "Streets." The track is unique in the world of sports, and I feel it could become a part of the Canucks brand easily. Early feedback on other forums has been positive, and while I was too late to officially enter the NU2 competition, I feel with enough support it might receive consideration. After all, DJ Dave's soundtrack is always experimenting with new ideas. I feel this can be a secondary theme for the team, an alternative to U2 without abandoning that sound. While there are suggestions about entrance songs, I believe finding a theme to identify the team with is important.

To achieve this cut of the song, a number of simple edits need to be made. If I had a WAV file of it available (i.e. lossless audio), I'd cut it and have it ready for DJ Dave right away. If he is comfortable with using a normalized MP3 file, I have that available already. Hopefully this will provide an alternative to some of the other suggestions being made.

I like it, I think if DJ Dave plays around with the bass levels and EQ, and adds maybe the air siren in it could really work. You also have to take into account that the song does sound different with cheering and rogers arena speakers than our computer speakers. overall not bad!

2lvn091.jpg
Sigs are made by me, please PM for request to use! Thx

#22 TyrEnkidu

TyrEnkidu

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:24 PM

....I have to admit , its better then I expected...but here is the problem....
it doesnt have the "punch" power of a Warriors Call or Burn it Down...and a Warriors Call
would have been far better if they had edited it forward 15 seconds, then it would have
had a stronger effect....the whole issue is that it is hard to cross the peaceful sound of
the west coast with the aggression of an east coast city and come out with something that
"says" Vancouver.......I dont envy the DJ for the choice he has to make....I voted for
Vol Beat ...but the Nickleback cut was the best set up

photo-49848.jpgTyrEnkiduSignatureGrey1.gifcanucksminisig.gif

#23 the grinder

the grinder

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:18 PM

i wanna run and hide from anymore entrance music post , no techno dub step rap dance intro music , unfornatley most of the heavier pump up music is so over used , ie seek and destroy , welcome to the jungle and so on , and please no more alan parson project crap either this isnt basketball , lets just keep u2

#24 smackyo23

smackyo23

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

You know what? I like a bit of a heavier song for an intro usually but I'm into this. The songs selected as finalists by the Canucks brass are garbage for the most part.
Posted Image

#25 Mauii

Mauii

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

Let's look at Montreal for example, the most storied hockey team in the NHL. Do they go with some aggressive song to "pump up fans"? No, they play "Fix You" by Coldplay, which they have for years.

Now that's bone-chilling. But if that moment were replaced with some generic aggressive rock song, that incredible aura in Montreal would be diminished. Why? Because Montreal has history and tradition, and that song is both part of it and represents it. And yes, when I hear "Fix You", I think of Montreal.

Montreal looks amazing during the playoffs...imagine Winnipeg in the playoffs
"For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil."

#26 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,559 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:43 PM

While I like U2 better, I think that if we must go for an alternative, this is perfect. You captured everything that was good about U2 - the "haunting oceanic sound" that encapsulates the aura of Vancouver and the West Coast.

I'm tired of everyone talking about how it's not "intimidating" or "aggressive". "Aggressive" is overrated and played out. "Aggressive" is used by teams like Phoenix or Carolina - teams that use rotating "aggressive" music to compensate for the fact that they don't have the aura of tradition that comes with decades of hockey history.

We need something that represents the tradition of the Canucks and the importance of the team in Vancouver - especially something that epitomizes our great city of Vancouver. Something that includes the "haunting oceanic sound" and the natural, chilling beauty of Vancouver, as previously mentioned. Something that truly makes you think of Vancouver when you hear it. Now does some loud, aggressive rock sound really remind you of Vancouver and a long hockey tradition?

great post

DJ Dave, don't let these monkey minded idiots convince you to use generic power chord rock, please. it does nothing to the vast majority of the fans out there.
Posted Image

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#27 Christophe

Christophe

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:43 PM

It's not bad, but not great enough to change to.

Still want something intimidating and loud.

#28 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • 12,350 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:45 PM

I've never understood why we haven't just used an instrumental version of 'Where the streets have no name.'

It would maintain tradition and eliminate the lyrics that make people cringe.

Posted ImageNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEPosted Image

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#29 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:47 PM

I've never understood why we haven't just used an instrumental version of 'Where the streets have no name.'

It would maintain tradition and eliminate the lyrics that make people cringe.

We do use the instrumental of Where the Streets Have No Name. :lol: We always have. That's why I find it a tiny bit ridiculous when people are all over the lyrics. It's not as if they're playing them during the intro.

Edited by The Brahma Bull, 16 February 2013 - 03:48 PM.

#30 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • 12,350 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:57 PM

We do use the instrumental of Where the Streets Have No Name. :lol: We always have. That's why I find it a tiny bit ridiculous when people are all over the lyrics. It's not as if they're playing them during the intro.

That is absolutely not true, or at least not all of the time.

Most definitely for a long time we used the lyriced version.

Posted ImageNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEPosted Image

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.