#1 TheGreatDane36

TheGreatDane36

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:02 AM

http://bc.ctvnews.ca...nfirm-1.1163193

A body found on the roof of a downtown Los Angeles hotel has been identified as missing Vancouverite Elisa Lam.
LAPD Officer Diana Figueroa told CTV News late Tuesday that officials confirmed the identity through body markings.
The 21-year-old University of British Columbia student went missing on January 31, and was last seen at the Cecil Hotel, near the city's notorious skid row.

On Tuesday, Lam’s body was discovered in one of the hotel’s four water tanks by a maintenance worker after investigating complaints about low water pressure, according to the Los Angeles Times.
Videotape released by police after Lam’s disappearance showed the young woman acting strangely in the hotel elevator the night she was last seen.
The two-minute security tape footage showed Lam pressing buttons for multiple floors in the elevator before she darts out quickly, looking side-to-side before moving her arms around wildly.
Her reason for going to California is unclear, but authorities say Lam intended to travel to Santa Cruz as her final destination, which is about 563 kilometres north of Los Angeles.
Police suspect foul play in her disappearance.
Investigators say Lam was in daily contact with her family in Vancouver until she vanished. She never checked out of the hotel.
The last people to see Lam, a hostess and desk clerk at the hotel, said they never saw her with anyone else.

Tragic story. I was really pulling for her to make it out alive after seeing the creepy elevator video. RIP :(

#2 Dellins

Dellins

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:16 AM

The Hangover Part 3

I'll see you in hell.

#3 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:38 AM

The security video is certainly weird - she looks like she's on psychadelics, but then it almost looks likes she's communicating in sign language to someone.

#4 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:50 AM

Weird footage ^^

Posted Image

#5 Rypien37

Rypien37

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,539 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:53 AM

Weird footage ^^

Very....definitely looks like she was on some kind of drugs.
Posted Image

R.I.P. Your heart and fearlessness will be remembered

#6 Dellins

Dellins

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:57 AM

Will be interesting to see what exactly was going on with her when they figure it out.

#7 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:04 AM

Was it on global?

Posted Image

#8 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,392 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:21 AM

Man, that video is sorta difficult to watch. Normally I couldn't care less about this sort of news story, but I'm sorta curious as to what the toxicology reports suggest, or if she was trying to communicate with someone there.

Strange behaviour either way.

rsz_mad_men.jpg

le temps restitué

#9 flapjacks

flapjacks

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:54 AM

That video was creepy.. Can't make out what's happening. At first she seems like shes on some kind of drug just by her behaviour, then something just starts looking very suspicious when she's peering left and right, leaning up against the elevator walls. And WTF, why were the doors not closing? Something is up with that too. Then the signing thing or whatever she's doing looks kind of directed at someone.. but I have no idea. This was all very strange and creepy to watch.

RIP.

#10 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:52 AM

The only thing that's suspicious to me is how she got on the roof, most places have security locks to prevent access to anyone but a VERY specific few. Other than that, you can very plainly see she is tripping, she looks scared at one part, then looks like she's smiling, steps outside the elevator and gestures back inside the elevator and then gesturing at random, then starts screwing around with all the buttons like she's a five year old playing with them. I'm interested as to specifically what was wrong with her.

As for the post above mine that wonders why the doors weren't closing, she was stepping through them repeatedly then steps outside the doors to her left what looks like might be in front of an elevator button (facing elevator door from the outside elevator buttons tend to be on the right), with her back to it and hands behind her back possibly pushing the button to keep it open.

Edited by zaibatsu, 20 February 2013 - 04:56 AM.

#11 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:00 AM

What's she doing in LA's skid row? Curious as to see how this story develops. If she was found on the roof, then someone dumped her there...

Hoping for the best for her family.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#12 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:02 AM

What's she doing in LA's skid row? Curious as to see how this story develops. If she was found on the roof, then someone dumped her there...

Hoping for the best for her family.

The water tanks she was found in were on the roof..

What's especially weird to me is why no security footage was shown from the roof. Do they not have cameras up there? Shady as hell if not.

#13 Kumquats

Kumquats

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:43 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 Offensive Threat

Offensive Threat

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,414 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:59 AM

The water tanks she was found in were on the roof..

What's especially weird to me is why no security footage was shown from the roof. Do they not have cameras up there? Shady as hell if not.

Buildings Ive worked in all have elevator cameras. None have rooftop cameras.

She was stoned on something. Not drunk, her balance was far to good for drunk. There are more than a few drugs that can explain the actions and hand gestures for someone who is alone. a toxicology report will shed some light hopefully.

Posted Image

#15 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,653 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:09 AM

This has hit us really hard (my Dad, in particular, is terribly upset over this story) ... that video of her in what appears to be a state of absolute panic/distress just makes my heart sink. So horrible.

My own daughter shares a similar story and just went to San Fran/LA, etc. on her own. She left to get away from some obstacles here that have impeded her progress (she is suffering from anxiety and depression). She has friends down there, and daily check ins become the only piece of mind a parent has...to lose contact would be a nightmare. I can only imagine what these parents are going through - my sincere and heartfelt thoughts are with them.

I really wonder what was happening in that video...although some were quick to identify "drugs", her actions to me spoke of desperation. Like she felt threatened and maybe heard someone coming? Was trying to frantically prevent them from accessing the elevator and then they used the stairs?

Just awful. I cried when I watched that clip and was so pulling for a happy ending. :(

And, in seeing some of the comments - we should reserve judgement of "she was high/drunk" until this is proven. People with panic disorders also can exhibit some of these behaviors and depression and anxiety can go hand in hand. If she was completely traumatized by something, the hand gestures just may have been attributed to her running through scenarios in her mind. Sure, it does look like drugs, but I don't think jumping to conclusions is fair.

Posted Image

#16 Lancaster

Lancaster

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:40 AM

Drugs seems to be the most obvious conclusion, since it'll be very strange to be afraid of someone(s) and not contact the police.
It's not like she's in some strange foreign country and with a completely different language. She's in California, which uses English and they also use 911. It's also unlikely she wouldn't have the means to contact the authorities, with cellphones being mandatory for traveling, the emergency button in the elevator and/or front-desk, etc.

#17 Stefan

Stefan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,390 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:52 AM

Crazy stuff... I know her sister. Remember seeing her posting stuff on Facebook seeking help to find her.
:-/

gallery_9059_470_12899.jpg

(1 Peter 2:18)

Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse.

#18 butters

butters

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:20 AM

This has hit us really hard (my Dad, in particular, is terribly upset over this story) ... that video of her in what appears to be a state of absolute panic/distress just makes my heart sink. So horrible.

I didn't really see panic or distress, at least not in the "I am in danger" way. Drugs or some sort of mental breakdown seem far more likely. I don't think there is any real meaning to what she did with her hands either. If anything I bet someone found her in this state and preyed on that.

Edited by butters, 20 February 2013 - 10:23 AM.

#19 Denguin

Denguin

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,526 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:01 AM

Hold on... She was found in a water tank? That's so disturbing... For the guests especially.

Guess foul play was involved then... Or can you somehow drown yourself in a water tank?

Edited by Denguin, 20 February 2013 - 11:10 AM.

#20 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:32 AM

Hold on... She was found in a water tank? That's so disturbing... For the guests especially.

Guess foul play was involved then... Or can you somehow drown yourself in a water tank?

The water tank was not properly closed/locked, so all she needed was access to the roof

Not yet explained how she could get roof access by herself, or if the roof access door was unlocked/opened already.. which is the only reason I don't rule out foul play. Everything else (the way she looks and gestures toward non-existent people in the elevator, her random smiling, pushing all of the buttons, erratic body movements) points to drugs.

Edited by zaibatsu, 20 February 2013 - 11:35 AM.

#21 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 25,454 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:48 PM

Wow that video is so creepy.

It almost seems like she was waiting for someone or expecting someone to be there. I can't imagine being out in the open when you're not thinking soundly. Such a vulnerable state to be in. It'll be hard for the authorities to figure out how this all happened and who is responsible for her death but I hope they figure it out. If for no other reason, it can at least warn other women about the dangers of wandering into unknown and unsafe places.

Best wishes to her family.
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#22 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:07 PM

And, in seeing some of the comments - we should reserve judgement of "she was high/drunk" until this is proven.

Ah yeah, sorry, I should have qualified my comment earlier since I was the first one to bring up drugs. Certainly a lot of the mannerisms, to me looked like someone on psychedelics. But given the circumstances and the outcome, my first thought was more along the lines that she may have been dosed with something, felt the effects coming on, and was trying to get to somewhere safe before it took over. Just a theory.

Autopsy is tomorrow morning according to CBC a few minutes ago. Also they keep referring to her hand movements as 'wildly gesturing' but it still looks like sign language to me.

Edited by The Bookie, 20 February 2013 - 01:08 PM.

#23 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:14 PM

This video reminded me of when my significant other's nephew went through severe schizophrenia.

He was convinced that there were (non-existent) entities out to harm him. We had him committed under the Mental Health Act for his own protection and treatment. Luckily he recovered and went on to become a very successful businessperson and is now married to a lovely woman and they have a new born.
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#24 Blame Obama

Blame Obama

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:24 PM

probably drugged then dumped then OD'ed

10f3wcl.jpg

sig made by: -Vintage Canuck-

#25 c00kies

c00kies

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,165 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:35 PM

Could she have been drugged by someone else? This could act as protection towards a killer if it is deemed an accident due to drugged up actions. Was she not paying her hotel bills? Either way, this is strange.
Posted Image
Thanks to Blueberries for the sig :)

#26 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

Ah yeah, sorry, I should have qualified my comment earlier since I was the first one to bring up drugs. Certainly a lot of the mannerisms, to me looked like someone on psychedelics. But given the circumstances and the outcome, my first thought was more along the lines that she may have been dosed with something, felt the effects coming on, and was trying to get to somewhere safe before it took over. Just a theory.

Autopsy is tomorrow morning according to CBC a few minutes ago. Also they keep referring to her hand movements as 'wildly gesturing' but it still looks like sign language to me.

I'd call them random or "wildly gesturing" because they aren't at anything in particular. She starts with them toward the hallway, then toward the elevator, then back away from the elevator.. it looks without any intended target which is why people are theorising drugs or psychosis.

She also wasn't in the best part of town, as someone eluded to in the topic. The building she stayed in, I've read that half are permanent housing while the other half are hotel-esque. I'm not sure of the terminology involved but the hotel had bad reviews on websites like Yelp, Expedia, Orbitz, etc., common complaints such as "locks falling off doors". I also don't put it past them that the roof was accessible even though it shouldn't have been.

Edited by zaibatsu, 20 February 2013 - 04:02 PM.

#27 Apple Juice

Apple Juice

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,075 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

My sister and I knew her but werent close friends... However, she was my friend's cousin :(

I really want to know who did this and what happened specifically

#28 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:37 PM

a few new details in this V.Sun story http://www.vancouver...2016/story.html

found this part interesting:

Lopez said the hotel has four cisterns on its roof that are each about 10 feet (3 metres) tall, 4.5 feet (1.37 metres) wide and hold at least 1,000 gallons (3,785 litres)of water pumped up from city pipes.
Lam's body was found Tuesday morning at the bottom of one cistern that was about three-quarters full of water, Lopez said.
The opening at the top of the cistern is too small to accommodate firefighters and equipment, so they had to cut a hole in the storage tank to recover Lam's body.
The cisterns are on a platform at least 10 feet (3.05 metres) above the roof.
To get to the tanks, someone would have to go to the top floor then take a staircase with a locked door and emergency alarm preventing roof access.
Another ladder would have to be taken to the platform and a person would have to climb the side of the tank.

story just gets weirder and weirder. sorry for your loss Apple Juice.

#29 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:50 PM

a few new details in this V.Sun story http://www.vancouver...2016/story.html

found this part interesting:

story just gets weirder and weirder. sorry for your loss Apple Juice.

No kidding. Interested to see how this develops. To early to assume anything at this point.
Posted Image

#30 G.K. Chesterton

G.K. Chesterton

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,047 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:56 PM

The video is very creepy and disturbing and I normally don't get so weirded out. My condolences and prayers go out to the family.
“Reason is itself a matter of faith. It is an act of faith to assert that our thoughts have any relation to reality at all.” - G.K. Chesterton

“Unbelief is as much of a choice as belief is. What makes it in many ways more appealing is that whereas to believe in something requires some measure of understanding and effort, not to believe doesn't require much of anything at all.” - Frederick Buechner

“All human nature vigorously resists grace because grace changes us and the change is painful.” - Flannery O'Connor

“My argument against God was that the universe seemed so cruel and unjust. But how had I got this idea of just and unjust? A man does not call a line crooked unless he has some idea of a straight line. What was I comparing this universe with when I called it unjust?” - C.S. Lewis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.