The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Approved] VAN's New NHL Realignment

Strombone1

Wow. Canucks in the toughest conference. East 2 is the weakest.

Man, Van could get the most physical conference and most skilled. Of course, if ANA loses Perry and/or Getlaf this summer, ANA could look a lot different. But it's still a really tough conference. Time to beef up and get some big bodies out of a goalie trade this summer.

I was under the impression that they were doing the first two rounds being in your own 'division' thing so they can build up rivalries but then they separate Vancouver and Chicago :picard: I may be bias here (I probably am) but I would say that the Canucks/Blackhawk rivalry is pretty much one of the best (perhaps even the best next toPens and Flyers) in all the NHL so why would they do this?

Also why is everyone getting upset about Calgary and Edmonton being in our division/conference they both suck :lol: L.A and San Jose I understand the fear a bit more but seriously guys your worried about the Flames and Oilers?

I do like that they moved Detroit to the East and that Winnipeg will now be in the West. It makes more sense.

you cant look at realignment with a short term outlook it is never going to be balanced.

Instead a better barometer would be to look at hockey markets or teams that spend to the cap or near it as a way to weigh the divisions as teams that spend more money are more likely to be better competition more often than those that dont spend money.

by my count there is

east1:4.5 (pitt/philly/wash/rangers devils maybe?)

east2:4.5 (buff/ottawa at times spend money)

west1: 2.5 (jets should spend money in a few years)

west2: 4.5-5 (3 canadian teams spend and anaheim/LA/SJ all spend money at times)

west1 is by far the weakest in my opinion probably exactly how the NHL wanted it to comeout so that all those struggling midwest franchises have good shots of making the playoffs consistently with the rest of the division having similar payrolls.

Archived