The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Approved] VAN's New NHL Realignment

Strombone1

They better not be doing the play your own conference in the first 2 playoff rounds. We already see too much of the same teams. Every year I hope for new playoff match ups to spice things up, there are only a very small number of rematches I look forward to. Two of Vancouver's best playoff series have been against Chicago who aren't in the same division and Boston who aren't even in the same conference.

They better not be doing the play your own conference in the first 2 playoff rounds. We already see too much of the same teams. Every year I hope for new playoff match ups to spice things up, there are only a very small number of rematches I look forward to. Two of Vancouver's best playoff series have been against Chicago who aren't in the same division and Boston who aren't even in the same conference.

That's exactly what they were suggesting in last years realignment proposal. The idea I think is to maintain/encourage division rivalries. But I'm on board with you. Maybe the top two teams in each conference get the top seeds and the remaining seeding is based on point totals regardless of which conference. We'd then still have a chance to play Chicago or Detroit in the earlier rounds. Then again, with no Eastern/Western conferences, it would be cool to seed the top 16 teams regardless of which conference. We could end up playing the Leafs or the Habs in the early rounds.

So then like a free for all during the entire playoffs? Where the teams are matched in regards to where they stand over all in the league and at the end its the two left standing.......not just necessary the best and the west vs the best in the East........so we could then technically play Chicago for the Cup?

This is kind of ridiculous if the playoffs are inter conference. I mean you're looking at perennial playoff no shows of at least 2 teams in each conference.

East 1 - NYI, CLB, CAR

East 2 - FLA, TB, BUF

West 1 - MIN, COL, WPG

West 2 - CGY, EDM

So it's basically 5 teams in each conference fighting for 4 playoff spots, while non spenders and young teams are consistently out of the playoff picture.

It would also suck to be a Hawks fan, not a single team in that division aside from the Hawks worth getting excited about.

This is kind of ridiculous if the playoffs are inter conference. I mean you're looking at perennial playoff no shows of at least 2 teams in each conference.

East 1 - NYI, CLB, CAR

East 2 - FLA, TB, BUF

West 1 - MIN, COL, WPG

West 2 - CGY, EDM

So it's basically 5 teams in each conference fighting for 4 playoff spots, while non spenders and young teams are consistently out of the playoff picture.

It would also suck to be a Hawks fan, not a single team in that division aside from the Hawks worth getting excited about.

Archived