Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,218 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:55 PM

POPULAR

Here's a good pic of the new realignment proposal:

Posted Image

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#32 stexx

stexx

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:56 PM

you cant look at realignment with a short term outlook it is never going to be balanced.

Instead a better barometer would be to look at hockey markets or teams that spend to the cap or near it as a way to weigh the divisions as teams that spend more money are more likely to be better competition more often than those that dont spend money.

by my count there is
east1:4.5 (pitt/philly/wash/rangers devils maybe?)
east2:4.5 (buff/ottawa at times spend money)
west1: 2.5 (jets should spend money in a few years)
west2: 4.5-5 (3 canadian teams spend and anaheim/LA/SJ all spend money at times)

west1 is by far the weakest in my opinion probably exactly how the NHL wanted it to comeout so that all those struggling midwest franchises have good shots of making the playoffs consistently with the rest of the division having similar payrolls.

#33 kacvan

kacvan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:57 PM

I'm a little sad that we are not going to play the Jets more. However this new divisions / conference will make for awesome hockey though!
Posted Image

Keep The Faith The Canucks Will Win!!

#34 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:08 PM

So, Montreal is in the same division as the Florida teams because?
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#35 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:13 PM

We're in the easier of the two divisions in the west and have 1 less team to compete against than in the east. sweet
July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#36 stexx

stexx

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:14 PM

maybe you have discovered the NHL masterplan, relocate florida teams to edit:brampton Markham and quebec! i joke of course im not quite sure why they are there except for the fact they dont really fit anywhere.

Edited by stexx, 23 February 2013 - 09:33 PM.

#37 heysoulsisters21

heysoulsisters21

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:16 PM

more pressure for our 'nucks the twins and our two goalies can still win o'er 'em all

go canucks go :towel:

#38 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,218 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:20 PM

maybe you have discovered the NHL masterplan, relocate florida teams to brampton and quebec! i joke of course im not quite sure why they are there except for the fact they dont really fit anywhere.

Probably because Pittsburg and Columbus said no way to being in with 3 Canadian teams, Detroit, Buffalo, Boston.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#39 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:20 PM

maybe you have discovered the NHL masterplan, relocate florida teams to brampton Markham and quebec! i joke of course im not quite sure why they are there except for the fact they dont really fit anywhere.

I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#40 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,374 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:25 PM

Why not keep it the way it is right now and just move around Winnipeg and someone else?

They're complicating things.

2qn360i.jpg

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#41 stexx

stexx

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:30 PM

Why not keep it the way it is right now and just move around Winnipeg and someone else?

They're complicating things.

its actually much better, teams spend much more time in their own time zones and gets detroit and columbus into the east where they belong. Makes the scheduling and travel much less complicated in the long-run. look at the diagram someone posted above and ull see why it is a heck of a lot better especially for the western teams.

#42 stexx

stexx

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:32 PM

good catch, but after CH markham is dead to me. i have amalgamated it into brampton. :)

#43 Canuck hero

Canuck hero

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:35 PM

they say we can only win in a weak division lets prove them wrong, i like the new realignment.
Posted Image

#44 gocanuckzgo

gocanuckzgo

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:37 PM

The NHL needs to add two teams or keep the structure the same save for switching Winnipeg with Detroit or something, this is ridiculous. Seven and eight team divisions? That's a joke right?

#45 Hobble

Hobble

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,630 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:39 PM

I agree, it looks illogical.

But it's likely due to the fact that when Toronto, Detroit, Boston and Montreal travel to Florida, they will see a more common increase in attendance due to higher numbers of visiting fans. Bigger draw for Panthers and Lightening.

#46 spliced

spliced

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,151 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:40 PM

They better not be doing the play your own conference in the first 2 playoff rounds. We already see too much of the same teams. Every year I hope for new playoff match ups to spice things up, there are only a very small number of rematches I look forward to. Two of Vancouver's best playoff series have been against Chicago who aren't in the same division and Boston who aren't even in the same conference.

#47 Hobble

Hobble

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,630 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:40 PM

As soon as they expand to QC and Markham, they can move FLA and TB to the other Eastern conference.

#48 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,524 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:43 PM

Posted Image

Honestly, I feel like one of the Florida teams should swap places with a team in the other east conference so the likes of New York and New Jersey travel some more.

Couldn't they have put Winnipeg with us and pushed Phoenix to the other conference?

Edited by Opmac, 23 February 2013 - 09:45 PM.

Posted Image

#49 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,194 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:52 PM

They better not be doing the play your own conference in the first 2 playoff rounds. We already see too much of the same teams. Every year I hope for new playoff match ups to spice things up, there are only a very small number of rematches I look forward to. Two of Vancouver's best playoff series have been against Chicago who aren't in the same division and Boston who aren't even in the same conference.

That's exactly what they were suggesting in last years realignment proposal. The idea I think is to maintain/encourage division rivalries. But I'm on board with you. Maybe the top two teams in each conference get the top seeds and the remaining seeding is based on point totals regardless of which conference. We'd then still have a chance to play Chicago or Detroit in the earlier rounds. Then again, with no Eastern/Western conferences, it would be cool to seed the top 16 teams regardless of which conference. We could end up playing the Leafs or the Habs in the early rounds.

1zchaix.jpg

Always vigilant and on the lookout for Tiger Singh,The Stork, Shamu101, Mangoes, Cucumbers, Proballhockeyplayer, Dal Colle, DontTradeEdler, RespectYourEdlers23, D.T.E. and...

#50 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,929 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:58 PM

Portland getting a hockey team? Really?

Not completely unreasonable.
1. NHL ready arena.
2. Rumors have surfaced both recently and in the past.
3. Fantastic minor league attendance records and prospect development.
4. Untapped city as far as professional sports.
5. Great attendance numbers for Van/Seattle/Portland MLS rivalry.
6. Helps with east/west imbalance.

Bit of a pipe dream, but not out of the realm of possibility. Perfect relocation city, leaves big rich markets like Quebec/Markham/Seattle stuck with paying huge expansion fees.
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#51 Tanikins

Tanikins

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:00 PM

That's exactly what they were suggesting in last years realignment proposal. The idea I think is to maintain/encourage division rivalries. But I'm on board with you. Maybe the top two teams in each conference get the top seeds and the remaining seeding is based on point totals regardless of which conference. We'd then still have a chance to play Chicago or Detroit in the earlier rounds. Then again, with no Eastern/Western conferences, it would be cool to seed the top 16 teams regardless of which conference. We could end up playing the Leafs or the Habs in the early rounds.

So then like a free for all during the entire playoffs? Where the teams are matched in regards to where they stand over all in the league and at the end its the two left standing.......not just necessary the best and the west vs the best in the East........so we could then technically play Chicago for the Cup?

29mln9e.jpg
Do Not Trade Tanevbjhfh0.jpg

Thanks TS <3

formely known as Gillyfluffball

#52 2009cupchamps

2009cupchamps

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:07 PM

Honestly, I feel like one of the Florida teams should swap places with a team in the other east conference so the likes of New York and New Jersey travel some more.

Couldn't they have put Winnipeg with us and pushed Phoenix to the other conference?

That wouldn't work after Phoenix gets relocated to Seattle. Which will decrease Vancouver travel time down even more. Being in a 7 team division means that we will play each team even more to create even more of a rivalry. I like it, LA will be good SJ is getting worse, Anahiem depends on if they resign their big stars. Calgary going to be crap for a lot of years. Edmonton got talent but won't learn to put it together before their young talent begin to jump ship. Phoenix (Seattle) will always be tough but not scarey. I just don't see 4 teams being better than the Canucks for a lot of years, maybe 3 teams but not 4.

#53 timberz21

timberz21

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,636 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:13 PM

what happen whne Phoenix moves?

If they move to Seattle Great, if they move to KC or Quebec, then a new realignment is necessary.

I think an expansion would to Seattle and Quebec would make a better realignement geographically with 4 division of 8 teams

#54 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,194 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:16 PM

So then like a free for all during the entire playoffs? Where the teams are matched in regards to where they stand over all in the league and at the end its the two left standing.......not just necessary the best and the west vs the best in the East........so we could then technically play Chicago for the Cup?

Technically yeah. It would be fantastic wouldn't it, but I just don't see the league going that route. It'll be interesting to see how they set-up the playoffs given there would technically be no Eastern and Western conferences any longer.

1zchaix.jpg

Always vigilant and on the lookout for Tiger Singh,The Stork, Shamu101, Mangoes, Cucumbers, Proballhockeyplayer, Dal Colle, DontTradeEdler, RespectYourEdlers23, D.T.E. and...

#55 Chicken Souvlaki

Chicken Souvlaki

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:21 PM

East 1 can use bicycles to travel from game to game it so close together.

#56 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,808 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:21 PM

This is kind of ridiculous if the playoffs are inter conference. I mean you're looking at perennial playoff no shows of at least 2 teams in each conference.

East 1 - NYI, CLB, CAR
East 2 - FLA, TB, BUF
West 1 - MIN, COL, WPG
West 2 - CGY, EDM

So it's basically 5 teams in each conference fighting for 4 playoff spots, while non spenders and young teams are consistently out of the playoff picture.

It would also suck to be a Hawks fan, not a single team in that division aside from the Hawks worth getting excited about.

2d7ye0p.jpg

#57 Hobble

Hobble

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,630 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:24 PM

This is kind of ridiculous if the playoffs are inter conference. I mean you're looking at perennial playoff no shows of at least 2 teams in each conference.

East 1 - NYI, CLB, CAR
East 2 - FLA, TB, BUF
West 1 - MIN, COL, WPG
West 2 - CGY, EDM

So it's basically 5 teams in each conference fighting for 4 playoff spots, while non spenders and young teams are consistently out of the playoff picture.

It would also suck to be a Hawks fan, not a single team in that division aside from the Hawks worth getting excited about.

Exactly my rationale for wanting Detroit to stay in Central. And thats as a Jets fan. Why not have the East and West to each have a 7 and 8 team conference?!?

#58 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,808 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:25 PM

Why can't they just do the practical and simple decision in swapping out Nashville to the South East and Winnipeg to the Central division?

2d7ye0p.jpg

#59 Roflcawptur

Roflcawptur

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:25 PM

I would totally buy season tickets to see either the BlueJackets or Panthers in Kansas City! We're used to awful teams as is and we have some of the most loyal fans! Chiefs and Royals fans are rabbid! Of course my real favorites would still be the Nucks :towel:

:canucks: Proud Canuck from Kansas City :canucks:

Bieksa.png

#60 Bleed Blue and Green

Bleed Blue and Green

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:33 PM

Posted Image

DET, PIT, CLB, PHI, WAS and CAR should join TB and FLA

DeeCanucksBlog7_zps935c66c6.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.