Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

As it stands right now, Do you think we'll win the Stanley Cup?

• Please log in to reply
191 replies to this topic

Poll: Will we win the Stanley Cup with this current team? (239 member(s) have cast votes)

Will we win the Stanley Cup with this current team?

1. Yes (46 votes [19.25%])

Percentage of vote: 19.25%

2. Voted No (193 votes [80.75%])

Percentage of vote: 80.75%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Sedinry

Sedinry

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:21 AM

So as it stands right now, almost half way through the season, do you think this current team has what it takes to win the Stanley Cup?

For me it's a no as it's not because of the Defense core. I mean on paper, if you can't win with the defense that Canucks have, something is very wrong.

However I feel our 2nd line needs a real pure goal scorer on it and that Kesler needs to get back to using his Wingers and his Selke form, I mean how many take aways does Kesler have on the Season?

Without going any further, what to do you guys think? And if yes or no, for what reason?

#2 FutureNHLGm

FutureNHLGm

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:23 AM

No. As said in my thread, we need changes.

#3 Patrick Jane

Patrick Jane

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

No, Chicago and Boston are looking good
Posted Image
Drouin#27 Halifax Mooseheads Star

Credit to Canucks Top Scorer

#4 Alex the Great

Alex the Great

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:26 AM

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :towel:

105uyog.jpg

Thanks to KhalifaWiz for the incredible sig!

#5 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,484 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:29 AM

Anything can happen - if we are healthy and if we play our hearts out - then yes - we can win with the current players.

If we can trade one of our goalies for say a top 6 forward or top defense, then that would give us a better chance.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#6 Miller32

Miller32

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:30 AM

Unfortunately no. The way the Canucks have been playing is 50/50, I feel you don't quite know if they're going to even bother showing up. Our offence needs consistency, our defense needs to be solid and awake, Luongo and Schnieder need to stop having meltdowns and we need something more crafty than the drop pass.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,359 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:34 AM

Not a chance unless we luck out and bad teams beat the good teams.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#8 Kack Zassian

Kack Zassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:35 AM

POPULAR

Thats too much of an absolute statement.

But this team has just as much of a chance as any other team in the league.

#9 diesel_3

diesel_3

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:35 AM

No.
They don't seem to have the killer instinct to make a big playoff run, I don't see this team being better than the 2011 team. Maybe with some tweaks at the trade deadline. The defensive core feels too unreliable, The goaltending has been great but I don't think that's going to be enough in the playoffs.
Posted Image
Thanks to JimLahey for the great Sig!
Posted Image
SUPPORT YOUR TROOPS!

#10 Kack Zassian

Kack Zassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:36 AM

Not really much we can realistically change about this team.

#11 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,857 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:39 AM

Thats too much of an absolute statement.

But this team has just as much of a chance as any other team in the league.

This.

"Hey guys, do you think the Canucks will win the Cup? And you can only give a yes or no answer because the terrorists win if you say maybe."

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#12 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,093 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:39 AM

As of half way through last season, would you have thought the Kings would win the Cup?

The Canucks have a better chance than most, but I certainly wouldn't wager any serious money on it happening.
Posted Image

#13 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,292 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:41 AM

Agree with other poster, your statement is too absolute.

We (along with a handful of other teams) have a make up that should allow them to compete for the cup.

What happens between then and now has to many variables to simply assume we ill or won't be in the finals let alone actually win the cup.

Edited by J.R., 26 February 2013 - 11:41 AM.

"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

jg4428.jpg2s9up7p.jpg

#14 FutureNHLGm

FutureNHLGm

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:42 AM

Agree with other poster, your statement is too absolute.

We (along with a handful of other teams) have a make up that should allow them to compete for the cup.

What happens between then and now has to many variables to simply assume we ill or won't be in the finals let alone actually win the cup.

Sorry, but the Canucks suck as of now. Changes need to be made or you're not seeing a cup in Vancouver for a long time unless those changes are made.

#15 Kack Zassian

Kack Zassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:43 AM

This team is good enough to win a cup
... but so are the other 15 teams that make it into the playoffs.

#16 Quoted

Quoted

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:46 AM

Can they? Yes
Will they? Who knows?

Too many variables - who's hot when, injuries, draw in the first and seconds rounds, etc. etc.

They would increase their chances with a little more depth, but what team can't say that?

#17 Kack Zassian

Kack Zassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:48 AM

Rangers, Pens, Boston, Tampa, Devils ---> all very good teams out of the east
Chicago, San Jose, St. Louis, Detroit, LA ---> all very good teams out of the west

Thats 10 teams (11 including Vancouver) who I would say all have a very good chance.

Yeah, some teams are better than others, but at the end of the day no team has more than a 10% chance of winning the cup, no matter how you look at it.

Edited by Kack Zassian, 26 February 2013 - 11:48 AM.

#18 Rink on Renfrew

Rink on Renfrew

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

I'm sorry but our record is relatively good as of now. Reading the Op's post would make me think we were below .500

If we get hot at the right time than yes, of course we can win it all. Our fourth liners have to step it up big time durning the playoffs like the Kings did last post season run. We have the parts. Sedins are consistent point producers, Kes can step up his game offensively & especially defensively. Our D core is solid & our goaltending is top 5.

Maybe a deadline trade or the insertion of a game breaker (Jensen) chomping at the bit, might be enough to tilt the scales.

You just never know guys. It just has to click at the right time.

P.S. I know the last loss was hard to take but we always have one like that before we take off. Always.

#19 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,622 posts

No, our defence sucks. We have two many left D's and no one that can play with Edler, except maybe Tanev.

We are also missing a second liner. We are also missing someone that can pass the puck on the second line.

We are missing a genuine 3rd line center.

We lack game breakers, and some toughness.
There are things known and unknown ... and in between are the doors.

#20 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,292 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:50 AM

Sorry, but the Canucks suck as of now. Changes need to be made or you're not seeing a cup in Vancouver for a long time unless those changes are made.

No, dear reactionary CDC'er...they do not.

While any team can certainly improve with a key trade here or there, they 're just fine with the personnel they have. What they need to do is simply get on their game.

"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

jg4428.jpg2s9up7p.jpg

#21 La Mauviette75

La Mauviette75

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:51 AM

i mean, it's possible, but i wouldn't bet on it unless the canucks get some extra pieces.
Posted Image

O Ville Lumière, Sens la chaleur, de notre coeur

#22 mainshane

mainshane

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

POPULAR

Did anyone think the Devils and Kings would be playing for the Stanley Cup last year?

#23 We Are All Cucks

We Are All Cucks

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:55 AM

There is at least a 1 in 30 chance we'll win. Likely higher.

#24 Kack Zassian

Kack Zassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:58 AM

OP Take down the poll.
Or at least change it so it isn't a yes/no question.

They are good enough to win it... as are any other contending teams...

#25 BabychStache

BabychStache

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:58 AM

It literally all hinges on Kesler.

If he rounds into shape and peaks for the playoffs, yes they are good enough. If he continues to eat line mates, no.
Posted Image
Credit to Goaltenderinterference for the awesome Sig!

#26 Mookie Wilson

Mookie Wilson

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:59 AM

Only 1 in 30 could win. If you asked the same question about any other team, including Chicago or Boston, I would respond: "It doesn't look good for them."

#27 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:06 PM

We need another Sniper like Hossa,Semin,Seguin, etc

If Kesler gets shut down, so does our entire 2nd line
My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Shinkaruk-Draisaitl-Scherbak
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#28 Kassian's Face

Kassian's Face

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

As of half way through last season, would you have thought the Kings would win the Cup?

The Canucks have a better chance than most, but I certainly wouldn't wager any serious money on it happening.

In the third round of playoffs, I still never considered LA to be a serious contender. Obviously the cup has been won by physically dominating teams in recent history, and I have had to adjust my evaluation protocols in order to keep up. That said:

Canucks need to get tougher to win - Check. Added the obviously immidiate impact player Kassian, added the more physical Garrison over injury prone Salo, got the Sedin's to start using their size, got into fights (although winning some would be nice for a change), now we get retaliation for bullying around our stars.

Canucks need to get younger - Check. Added youngsters Kassian and Schroeder, and Tanev has been playing unbelievably. Got rid of older, injury prone players such as Salo. Our oldest player is 33, Luongo.

Canucks need to play with more heart - Fail. Despite some moments of brilliance, the Canucks have been lackluster in most of their performances. Gone are the days of Burrows skating full force to the net getting knocked down and still swinging hopelessly at the puck another half dozen times in a futile, but inspiring performance. Also we only have 4 Europeans on the Canadian dominated Canucks team now, but we seem to be hated across Canada, and still perceived as a Swedish team.

Goaltenders need to steal more games - Check. With only 3 sub par performances out of 17, the goaltenders have been the best 2 Canucks this season. Every game a net minder is going in under playoff like pressure, and coming up with big saves, even on their bad nights. Take away the first 30 minutes of the season and the Detroit game and our goalies combine for a remarkable GAA 1.81 SV% .934 and 3 shutouts.

Canucks need to be prepared - Fail. Although AV has been better after the first 2 weeks of play, the Canucks come out every game slower then they should. Although our opponents seem to have answers for the Sedins, the drop pass, and Burrows deke move, the Canucks seem to be unprepared to go against the likes of Selanne or Datsyuk.

Secondary Scoring - Maybe. We have seen some light from our other lines, but I wouldn't go as far as to say our secondary scoring has gotten better or not. Despite losing some blue line power and having our 2nd line only just start to get healthy, we have seen great potential in the speed line and unexpected performances by guys like Hansen and Raymond that could easily tip the scales in this category. That said though if Kesler and Boothe don't start playing up to par, then our secondary scoring will be the same as previous years, and henceforth a fail.

In conclusion, I believe we are better suited to win the cup this year then our previous runs, and since we had a game 7 SCF appearance, I voted yes.

Edited by Kassian's Face, 26 February 2013 - 12:12 PM.

#29 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,851 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:12 PM

Your question is: "Will we win the Stanley Cup with this current team?"

The answer to that for pretty much every team in the league should be: "No, probably not". Because it doesn't matter how good your team is, only one team will walk away the winner.

Also, anything can happen, as perfectly exemplified last year. Presidents Trophy team has their top scorer injured, and goes cold, while the 8th seed goes on one of the biggest hot streaks in the history of the league.

A better question would be "CAN we win...?" My answer? Hell ya! Didn't you read the last paragraph?
Posted Image

#30 FutureNHLGm

FutureNHLGm

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:15 PM

No, dear reactionary CDC'er...they do not.

While any team can certainly improve with a key trade here or there, they 're just fine with the personnel they have. What they need to do is simply get on their game.

We said that last year and look what happened.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.