Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

As it stands right now, Do you think we'll win the Stanley Cup?

• Please log in to reply
191 replies to this topic

Poll: Will we win the Stanley Cup with this current team? (239 member(s) have cast votes)

Will we win the Stanley Cup with this current team?

1. Yes (46 votes [19.25%])

Percentage of vote: 19.25%

2. Voted No (193 votes [80.75%])

Percentage of vote: 80.75%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,404 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:16 PM

Only 1 in 30 could win. If you asked the same question about any other team, including Chicago or Boston, I would respond: "It doesn't look good for them."

Here were the "Vegas" odds at the start of the season:

Pittsburgh Penguins 8/1
New York Rangers 9/1
Vancouver Canucks 11/1
Los Angeles Kings 12/1
Philadelphia Flyers 13/1
Chicago Blackhawks 14/1
Detroit Red Wings 15/1
Boston Bruins 16/1
St. Louis Blues 16/1
Minnesota Wild 18/1
San Jose Sharks 20/1
Buffalo Sabres 22/1
Carolina Hurricanes 22/1
Nashville Predators 25/1
Tampa Bay Lightning 25/1
Washington Capitals 25/1
New Jersey Devils 28/1
Edmonton Oilers 30/1
Toronto Maple Leafs 35/1
Florida Panthers 40/1
Anaheim Ducks 40/1
Colorado Avalanche 40/1
Montreal Canadiens 40/1
Ottawa Senators 40/1
Phoenix Coyotes 40/1
Calgary Flames 50/1
Dallas Stars 50/1
Winnipeg Jets 50/1
New York Islanders 75/1
Columbus Blue Jackets 100/1

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#32 Sedinry

Sedinry

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

Thats too much of an absolute statement.

But this team has just as much of a chance as any other team in the league.

Agree with other poster, your statement is too absolute.

We (along with a handful of other teams) have a make up that should allow them to compete for the cup.

What happens between then and now has to many variables to simply assume we ill or won't be in the finals let alone actually win the cup.

Meh, I said as of right now, and it's suppose to be absolute. As in, Gillis needs to change something for a change to occur, because from what I watched last season and this season nothing has changed. They have no motivation to play.

No, our defence sucks. We have two many left D's and no one that can play with Edler, except maybe Tanev.

We are also missing a second liner. We are also missing someone that can pass the puck on the second line.

We are missing a genuine 3rd line center.

We lack game breakers, and some toughness.

I humbly disagree, Schroeder is a perfect 3rd line center who is probably the most defensively responsible player on our team today.

We are missing a second liner though, but to say our defense sucks, is just plain wrong. Now you could say our defense is being terribly coached by Bowness. That's a different and more proper statement. Because our Defense on paper looks better than any other teams. Show me one on paper that looks better.

OP Take down the poll.
Or at least change it so it isn't a yes/no question.

They are good enough to win it... as are any other contending teams...

No...? lol Take a chill pill instead.

In the third round of playoffs, I still never considered LA to be a serious contender. Obviously the cup has been won by physically dominating teams in recent history, and I have had to adjust my evaluation protocols in order to keep up. That said:

Canucks need to get tougher to win - Check. Added the obviously immidiate impact player Kassian, added the more physical Garrison over injury prone Salo, got the Sedin's to start using their size, got into fights (although winning some would be nice for a change), now we get retaliation for bullying around our stars.

Canucks need to get younger - Check. Added youngsters Kassian and Schroeder, and Tanev has been playing unbelievably. Got rid of older, injury prone players such as Salo. Our oldest player is 33, Luongo.

Canucks need to play with more heart - Fail. Despite some moments of brilliance, the Canucks have been lackluster in most of their performances. Gone are the days of Burrows skating full force to the net getting knocked down and still swinging hopelessly at the puck another half dozen times in a futile, but inspiring performance. Also we only have 4 Europeans on the Canadian dominated Canucks team now, but we seem to be hated across Canada, and still perceived as a Swedish team.

Goaltenders need to steal more games - Check. With only 3 sub par performances out of 17, the goaltenders have been the best 2 Canucks this season. Every game a net minder is going in under playoff like pressure, and coming up with big saves, even on their bad nights. Take away the first 30 minutes of the season and the Detroit game and our goalies combine for a remarkable GAA 1.81 SV% .934 and 3 shutouts.

Canucks need to be prepared - Fail. Although AV has been better after the first 2 weeks of play, the Canucks come out every game slower then they should. Although our opponents seem to have answers for the Sedins, the drop pass, and Burrows deke move, the Canucks seem to be unprepared to go against the likes of Selanne or Datsyuk.

Secondary Scoring - Maybe. We have seen some light from our other lines, but I wouldn't go as far as to say our secondary scoring has gotten better or not. Despite losing some blue line power and having our 2nd line only just start to get healthy, we have seen great potential in the speed line and unexpected performances by guys like Hansen and Raymond that could easily tip the scales in this category. That said though if Kesler and Boothe don't start playing up to par, then our secondary scoring will be the same as previous years, and henceforth a fail.

In conclusion, I believe we are better suited to win the cup this year then our previous runs, and since we had a game 7 SCF appearance, I voted yes.

A perfect answer. Thank you, and I agree very much so, except I feel a goalie trade for a solid 2nd liner is a must.

#33 apollo

apollo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,892 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:21 PM

On paper they should. But the defense is playing much worse than it should on paper.

Trade schneider and get a solid 1-2 dman asap.
WHATCHU GONNA DO WHEN MILLERMANIA RUNS WILDDDD ON YOU?!

#34 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:22 PM

So as it stands right now, almost half way through the season, do you think this current team has what it takes to win the Stanley Cup?

For me it's a no as it's not because of the Defense core. I mean on paper, if you can't win with the defense that Canucks have, something is very wrong.

However I feel our 2nd line needs a real pure goal scorer on it and that Kesler needs to get back to using his Wingers and his Selke form, I mean how many take aways does Kesler have on the Season?

Without going any further, what to do you guys think? And if yes or no, for what reason?

Yes.

Great goaltending. Solid defense. Forward lines getting back from injury.

And also a positive attitude, something which is not shared by a lot of folks on this forum.

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#35 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,540 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:23 PM

No, I think we need to trade for a good second line center. I think our d will be fine. We don't need two great goalies in the playoffs pull the trade MG give us a chance.

#36 apollo

apollo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,892 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

No, I think we need to trade for a good second line center. I think our d will be fine. We don't need two great goalies in the playoffs pull the trade MG give us a chance.

And demote kesler to what? A five million dollar third line center? The guy just had multiple surgeries... he's one of the best all around defensive forwards in the game ffs. Smh. We need a shake up on d not center

Edited by apollo, 26 February 2013 - 12:30 PM.

#37 Nevlach

Nevlach

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,020 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:31 PM

We'll make the playoffs but we'll lose to either Chicago, St. Louis, Anaheim, or Detroit/LA if they make the playoffs.

Hate to say it but expectations aren't high right now.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#38 Kack Zassian

Kack Zassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:33 PM

Meh, I said as of right now, and it's suppose to be absolute. As in, Gillis needs to change something for a change to occur, because from what I watched last season and this season nothing has changed. They have no motivation to play

No...? lol Take a chill pill instead.

The issue: Is this team good enough to win a cup? Yeah, but so are at least 10 other teams.
It's good enough to win a cup. But will it? Likely not (and the same can be said about every other contender)

Do you think your perception of their motivation is a reality, or coming on the heels of a blowout loss?

A better poll question would be "Do you think Vancouver is a top contender?"
Makes it look less black and white.

#39 Kack Zassian

Kack Zassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:33 PM

And demote kesler to what? A five million dollar third line center? The guy just had multiple surgeries... he's one of the best all around defensive forwards in the game ffs. Smh. We need a shake up on d not center

Its also been 6 games... :picard:

#40 apollo

apollo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,892 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:35 PM

We'll make the playoffs but we'll lose to either Chicago, St. Louis, Anaheim, or Detroit/LA if they make the playoffs.

Hate to say it but expectations aren't high right now.

I'm sorry I completely disagree with that. You can't compare regular season games to playoffs. Detroit is exactly the type of team we would break in a series. Chicago is the only team we may have difficulties with but they're firing on all cilinders and we are 1-0-1 against them. There is no way in hell luongo loses a series to crawford or emery.

Edit... only way we lose is if we match up against a goalie who pulls a thomas or quick

Edited by apollo, 26 February 2013 - 12:36 PM.

#41 FutureNHLGm

FutureNHLGm

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:36 PM

The Canucks are simply not making a run with the team they have now. I could see them maybe squeaking by in a 7 game battle in round 1 but the goaltending has to be OUTSTANDING. They're not getting even close to a cup though.

Edited by FutureNHLGm, 26 February 2013 - 12:36 PM.

#42 brownky

brownky

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,730 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:37 PM

As long as Alain Vigneault is the coach of this team, that answer will always be emphatically NO.

#43 SEAN HARNETT

SEAN HARNETT

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:39 PM

I think after the last few seasons of watching NHL Hockey one thing seems to stick out to me, Regular seasons means nothing. Get to the playoffs first, then see where it takes you. The game changes once the playoffs start and its not always the best teams in the regular season who do well. I think if the Canucks can add some depth pieces and perhaps a very potetnt winger, then they have a great shot at winning the cup.

Edited by SEAN HARNETT, 26 February 2013 - 12:40 PM.

:towel:

#44 Nevlach

Nevlach

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,020 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:40 PM

I'm sorry I completely disagree with that. You can't compare regular season games to playoffs. Detroit is exactly the type of team we would break in a series. Chicago is the only team we may have difficulties with but they're firing on all cilinders and we are 1-0-1 against them. There is no way in hell luongo loses a series to crawford or emery.

Edit... only way we lose is if we match up against a goalie who pulls a thomas or quick

Problem is Canucks haven't looked hungry all season. In the playoffs you need to play guts out hard nosed hockey and you have to want it. For some reason after 2011 season ended the Canucks haven't looked near as hungry.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#45 apollo

apollo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,892 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:42 PM

Problem is Canucks haven't looked hungry all season. In the playoffs you need to play guts out hard nosed hockey and you have to want it. For some reason after 2011 season ended the Canucks haven't looked near as hungry.

Homestly I don't c hunger as a problem. This team has experienced so much that I have zero doubt the boys will show up one hundred percent during playoffs. They just need to stay healthy and ffs mg needs to get some REAL HELP at the deadline

#46 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,404 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:44 PM

As long as Alain Vigneault is the coach of this team, that answer will always be emphatically NO.

Then how did we make it to game 7 of a SCF in 2011?

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#47 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:46 PM

LOL NO!
Posted Image

#48 FutureNHLGm

FutureNHLGm

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Then how did we make it to game 7 of a SCF in 2011?

Posted Image

#49 Nevlach

Nevlach

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,020 posts

Homestly I don't c hunger as a problem. This team has experienced so much that I have zero doubt the boys will show up one hundred percent during playoffs. They just need to stay healthy and ffs mg needs to get some REAL HELP at the deadline

Well we have the goaltending, forwards are probably top 5 in the league, D concerns me though. On paper we look fairly strong back there but on the ice it hasn't really shown. I've noticed most teams that win the Cup have either a big Dman or a superstar Dman (Lidstrom, Pronger, Byfugelin, Chara, Doughty etc.)
Posted Image
Posted Image

#50 mancaesar

mancaesar

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:47 PM

If you take the question literally, as in the current roster playing exactly the same way in the playoffs as they are now, then obviously not.

If you interpret the question as just applying to the same roster but allowing for a change in performance, then it's still a long-shot to say definitively, "Yes, they will win." simply because of the odds and uncertainty in hockey. But it's realistically possible.

All athletes and teams perform in cycles. Sometimes their timing is off, sometimes they're totally in the zone. LA was in the zone at the right time. If the Canucks are in the zone at the right time even with their current talent level, then I absolutely would say they will win the Cup. Because we've seen what these players are capable of. And I don't think that any other team could beat us in a playoff series IF our players are playing their best. And I don't even mean potential best. I mean up to the level we've already seen them play in the past.

Edited by mancaesar, 26 February 2013 - 12:50 PM.

John Paul II made a saint. John Garrett next?

#51 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:48 PM

Waaaaay to absolute. Won't even vote.
Posted Image

#52 VicNuckleHead09

VicNuckleHead09

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:49 PM

Regular season means less to nothing at the start of a season, especially a short season. There is a reason that they are playing like they have been and taking yoga. Look to the last 10 games of the season and then this thread would mean something. Until then enjoy the ride and support the team and it's current players like a real fan.
Posted Image
"Louuuuuuuuuu!" - Last game Attended: Vancouver vs. Penguins
Email me

#53 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,116 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:56 PM

We said that last year and look what happened.

And we said it the year before and look what happened! Game 7 of the finals.

This team for the past few years and for the next few years has, is and will be good enough to compete for a cup. Whether they make it there, run in to injuries, hit a hot team, go on a cold streak or any multitude of any other variables will determine whether they win the cup.

The personnel is there. They simply require the will, luck, execution etc for it to happen. As has been pointed out though there are at least ten other teams every year who also have the personnel to win. Only one of those teams will. Every year.

Gillis could have the team Canada roster on the Canucks and still run in to injuries, bad officiating, a hot goalie/team etc, etc and get bounced in the first round. There's more to hockey than simply building the best team you can (which he to this point has).

"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

jg4428.jpg2s9up7p.jpg

#54 chrisbanks

chrisbanks

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:58 PM

to say our defense sucks, is just plain wrong. Now you could say our defense is being terribly coached by Bowness. That's a different and more proper statement. Because our Defense on paper looks better than any other teams. Show me one on paper that looks better.

when was the last time a piece of paper won a hockey game?

#55 FutureNHLGm

FutureNHLGm

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:59 PM

And we said it the year before and look what happened! Game 7 of the finals.

This team for the past few years and for the next few years has, is and will be good enough to compete for a cup. Whether they make it there, run in to injuries, hit a hot team, go on a cold streak or any multitude of any other variables will determine whether they win the cup.

The personnel is there. They simply require the will, luck, execution etc for it to happen. As has been pointed out though there are at least ten other teams every year who also have the personnel to win. Only one of those teams will. Every year.

Gillis could have the team Canada roster on the Canucks and still run in to injuries, bad officiating, a hot goalie/team etc, etc and get bounced in the first round. There's more to hockey than simply building the best team you can (which he to this point has).

That year was different. That year the Canucks would steamroll teams. Absolutely dominate them. These last two years have been different. They're coasting and lazy. Not the same team by any stretch that we had in 2011. Not even close. We've lost quite a few assets we had on that cup winning team that shouldn't of been let go including Ehrhoff.

#56 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

I would say we have the players to win the Cup right now, on paper. Lots of us have said this already. I'm not keen on our 4th line, however. Volpatti and Weise just don't bring what is needed... Tons of hitting, fighting, when necessary, and tons of agitating. Lappy aside, our 4th line seems almost polite.

I would like to see Vandermeer brought up as a 4th liner. He could also step in and play the occasional shift on defense, if needed. He would be more valuable on a 23 man roster than Alberts is, IMO. Alberts was terrible in the Wings game. He looked lost, slow and unsure. After parts of 4 years in the system, you'd think he'd step in more seamlessly than he did. I would like to see Alberts moved, for anything this side of a stinky equipment bag full of pucks and cones, and see Vandermeer plugged into the 23 man roster.

In all honesty, I would like to have the Canucks now wait until the off-season to move a goalie unless they can get a bonafide roster player in return. Solid goaltending, as we have seen first hand, from Thomas and Quick, wins you championships. Maybe move a keeper at the Draft for a mid to high 1st and prospects / roster player?

The Canucks have the horses. Can AV and MG lead them to a "Cupful" of water?

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

:towel: :canucks:

#57 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:04 PM

That year was different. That year the Canucks would steamroll teams. Absolutely dominate them. These last two years have been different. They're coasting and lazy. Not the same team by any stretch that we had in 2011. Not even close. We've lost quite a few assets we had on that cup winning team that shouldn't of been let go including Ehrhoff.

Oops!

:bigblush:

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

:towel: :canucks:

#58 smithers joe

smithers joe

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,000 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:05 PM

why do people think that they see things that management doesn't see?...gillis and AV both want to win the cup as do the players...if a trade that will improve this team presents it's self, gillis will make it...if gillis wasn't happy with AV, he would make a change....there hockey knowledge any of ours.....we are all allowed to have our opinions, but that doesn't mean we know what we are talking about...i trust gillis and AV to steer this team towards the playoffs...

#59 FutureNHLGm

FutureNHLGm

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:08 PM

Oops!

:bigblush:

No mistake here. They were built to win a cup and should've that year.

#60 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,675 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

No. As said in my thread, we need changes.

No one read it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.