#61 c00kies

c00kies

Cookie Monster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,593 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:50 PM

In before "how come Gillis wasn't in on this!"

But this is a weird one, certainly unexpected since Ryder's been good in Dallas. Perhaps they felt they wouldn't be able to re-sign him? Certainly I could see Montreal wanting to make use of their younger players coming up, but who knows.

Cole could be a Morrow replacement.

Booth has hands of stone. No finish, terrible passer. He's just has speed and bang bodies. We need more playmakers.. And players with decent hands.

A lot of our players don't have great hands. People don't want to trade Hansen because he's fast and works hard, same with Raymond, but these players can't score (especially Hansen). You need to have dynamic players to win.

To the person who said Morrow would cost us Hansen, I would gladly do Hansen+ in a deal for Morrow.
Posted Image
Thanks to Blueberries for the sig :)

#62 G.K. Chesterton

G.K. Chesterton

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,082 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:46 AM

Good trade for Montreal.
“Reason is itself a matter of faith. It is an act of faith to assert that our thoughts have any relation to reality at all.” - G.K. Chesterton

“Unbelief is as much of a choice as belief is. What makes it in many ways more appealing is that whereas to believe in something requires some measure of understanding and effort, not to believe doesn't require much of anything at all.” - Frederick Buechner

“All human nature vigorously resists grace because grace changes us and the change is painful.” - Flannery O'Connor

“My argument against God was that the universe seemed so cruel and unjust. But how had I got this idea of just and unjust? A man does not call a line crooked unless he has some idea of a straight line. What was I comparing this universe with when I called it unjust?” - C.S. Lewis

#63 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:06 AM

Dallas just likes losing players it seems. Richards, Ribeiro, Neal, Ryder, and soon to be Morrow. Watch out Eriksson, looks like you might be next.

Imagine how good the Stars would be if they kept all their stars.

I know some moves had different motivations, but even still, they could have gotten a lot more in return than they have.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#64 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:11 AM

Dallas just likes losing players it seems. Richards, Ribeiro, Neal, Ryder, and soon to be Morrow. Watch out Eriksson, looks like you might be next.

I know some moves had different motivations, but even still, they could have gotten a lot more in return than they have.

Ryder has not been very productive in Dallas, in contrast to last season. Cole is a point-producer, even though he is not a talented sniper. He can rack up points and has limited skills, whereas, Ryder cannot rack up points and has skills. Also, the 3rd pick Dallas received makes this deal a steal for them.
Posted Image

#65 hockeyfan90

hockeyfan90

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:19 AM

Ryder has not been very productive in Dallas, in contrast to last season. Cole is a point-producer, even though he is not a talented sniper. He can rack up points and has limited skills, whereas, Ryder cannot rack up points and has skills. Also, the 3rd pick Dallas received makes this deal a steal for them.

Dallas didn't receive the 3rd round pick, MTL did....
It was Cole for Ryder + 3rd round pick
I'd say MTL wins.

#66 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:27 AM

You have this completely backwards. MTL got the pick. And Ryder has been successful this year and last, whereas Cole has not been good this year.

#67 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:28 AM

Dallas didn't receive the 3rd round pick, MTL did....
It was Cole for Ryder + 3rd round pick
I'd say MTL wins.

Yep, Montreal won. :)
Posted Image

#68 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:28 AM

You have this completely backwards. MTL got the pick. And Ryder has been successful this year and last, whereas Cole has not been good this year.

Cole was a 30-goal scorer last season. :)
Posted Image

#69 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,971 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:33 AM

And Ryder had 35 last year. This year however

Ryder: 19 games, 6 goals, 8 assists, 14 points
Cole: 19 games, 3 goals, 3 assists, 6 points

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#70 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:35 AM

And Ryder was a 35 goal scorer. Ryder also leads his team in points.

#71 Coconuts

Coconuts

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,117 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:25 AM

That's a strange trade for the Stars..

They probably could have traded them for each other straight up so it's odd that a third rounder was tossed into the mix.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#72 Chronic.Canucks.Fan

Chronic.Canucks.Fan

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:57 AM

Strange trade. Montreal wins.

Is dallas a financially weak team? Why would they trade their leading scorer from last year? And why did they add a third?

So many questions.

#73 spliced

spliced

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,218 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:50 AM

I think Montreal must have wanted out of the Cole Contract(cap going down next year). Dallas probably have a tough time attracting guys so they get someone who will be there for a couple more years. The only thing is that with Bourque out now Montreal are pretty soft/small again.

#74 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:27 AM

Ryder > Booth

-We get rid of Booth's contract

What makes you think Dallas would value Booth equivalent to Cole?

Cole had 35 goals last season. Booth has NEVER scored that many. It's been 4 years since he cracked 30.

Ryder scores about the same as Cole (also had 35 last year), but lacks the intangibles that Cole brings.

Cole > Ryder > Booth
Posted Image

#75 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:33 AM

A lot of our players don't have great hands. People don't want to trade Hansen because he's fast and works hard, same with Raymond, but these players can't score (especially Hansen). You need to have dynamic players to win.

To the person who said Morrow would cost us Hansen, I would gladly do Hansen+ in a deal for Morrow.

The Morrow of 2+ years ago, absolutely. But he is no longer that player.

Hansen provides about the same amount of offense, and a helluva lot more speed. Morrow is a shadow of his former self.
Posted Image

#76 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,687 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:55 AM

Montreal wins imo

Really I was actually thinking Montreal lost huge in this trade. Cole's had a slow start this year but was one Montreal's best players last year and plays a more phyiscal game then Ryder which Montreal needs. Ryder didn't do to well in Montreal last time around and is a UFA at the end of the year.

Play Clash on Clans on your phone? Join the CDC Clan "happycanuck".

"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

CDC's 2014 draft preferences vs. Canucks actual picks
http://forum.canucks...g-2014-edition/

#77 qwijibo

qwijibo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:26 AM

Really I was actually thinking Montreal lost huge in this trade. Cole's had a slow start this year but was one Montreal's best players last year and plays a more phyiscal game then Ryder which Montreal needs. Ryder didn't do to well in Montreal last time around and is a UFA at the end of the year.

Cole is big but doens't really use his size. He's lost a step over the summer and really hasn't meshed with the new team system in Montreal. Most nights he's looked confused or disinterested. Add to that the fac t that he's 34 and showing signs of decline and he has another 2 years after this sesaon at $4.5 million per.

Ryder was good in his first stint with Montreal but inconsistant. He's grown as a player and is much better defensively than he was when he was younger.

By doing this deal Montreal creates cap space for this year, and gains a lot more cap flexibility over the next two seasons than if they had Cole. They get a guy who is a pure goal scorer, which is something they needed. AND they get a 3rd round pick. This is a slam dunk for Montreal

#78 apollo

apollo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,788 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:48 AM

Wtf... and Habs got a third rounder?? Guess Whitney and rechhi really think they can get Cole going. Plus cole said he wants to retire after this year since he didn't like the new cba

Big win for mtl

2cz94w5.jpg

The NHL is a fixed old boys club. I've come to acceptance with that and just watch for entertainment. The 2011 & 2012 Canucks are champs in my books. Go Canucks Go!

#79 Gerbera

Gerbera

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:07 AM

I would love Eriksson :P Highly underrated player.

#80 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,761 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:35 AM

Booth > Ryder

#81 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:57 AM

I would love Eriksson :P Highly underrated player.

He was voted most underrated players by the players I believe.

And yea I would love to get him too. Who knows, he just might become available the way the stars keep trading good players.

#82 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,324 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:44 PM

Remember Cole broke his neck playing for Carolina some years back. That probably gives you a different perspective on life and the importance of hockey. Re the talk about retirement at CBA time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.