The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Minor Hockey Coach who Tripped Opposing Players -15 Days and 1 Year Probation

Wetcoaster

Remember this??? The idiot minor hockey coach, Martin Tremblay who tripped two opposing players after the game at UBC, has now been convicted of assault and sentenced to 15 days in jail to be served on weekends and one year probation.

A Vancouver minor hockey coach caught on video tripping two teenage players on the ice has pleaded guilty to assault.

Martin Tremblay entered the guilty plea through his lawyer Bob Bellows in court on Tuesday, reported the Richmond Review.

Tremblay, who was coaching the UBC Hornets, was lining up to shake hands with the opposing team at the end of a gold-medal game in June. Video which was later posted on YouTube shows Tremblay swinging his foot out and knocking down two players who fall to the ice.

One was unhurt, while the other -- a 13-year-old -- broke his wrist, reported CTV News.

Tremblay's team had won the game against the Richmond Steel.

Bellows told CTV his client feels "shame and remorse" and has written a letter of apology to the teens. Bellows said he is seeking a sentence with no jail time.

Tremblay's sentencing was today and the judge did not accept the no jail time recommendation of the defence nor the 30 day conditional (aka house arrest) sentence sought by the Crown. Tremblay will be lodged for 15 days at the pleasure of Her Majesty the Queen in the provincial crowbar hotel.

A peewee hockey coach who tripped two players following a game last year has been sentenced to 15 days in jail, followed by one year of probation.

Martin Tremblay, 48, pleaded guilty to assault and was sentenced Tuesday in B.C. Provincial Court in Richmond. The sentence will be served intermittently, on weekends.

The incident happened during a spring-league gold-medal game on June 23 at the University of B.C.

It was the last game in a series that had been “rough and chippy,” said Judge Patrick Chen.

Throughout the game Tremblay yelled abuse at one of the opposing players, a 13-year-old identified in court as K.S., making him cry at one point.

After the game, which his team won 5-4, Tremblay stuck his leg out to trip K.S. as players from both teams passed each other shaking hands.

K.S. and the boy in front of him, 10-year-old M.P., lost their balance and fell down. K.S. was later treated for a wrist injury.

At a hearing last month, Crown asked for a 30-day conditional sentence and probation, while defence suggested a suspended sentence or large fine.

http://www.theprovin...h.QMsMlMhU.dpuf

He probably had a reason for doing what he did. Also, I don't think this man deserved to lose his wife and a lions share of his business because of this. I don't think what he did was that bad. I got shoved by a 6'4 200 pound tournament organizer and my coach told me to suck it up. I didn't give the guy any attitude he was just immediately belligerent and he even grabbed my arm. This was last year and I was only 16 years old. The year before that the same guy made fun of a fat kid on and the tournament and made some highly out of context homophobic comments.

There's guys like this everywhere who have an axe to grind for some reason.

He probably had a reason for doing what he did. Also, I don't think this man deserved to lose his wife and a lions share of his business because of this. I don't think what he did was that bad. I got shoved by a 6'4 200 pound tournament organizer and my coach told me to suck it up. I didn't give the guy any attitude he was just immediately belligerent and he even grabbed my arm. This was last year and I was only 16 years old. The year before that the same guy made fun of a fat kid on and the tournament and made some highly out of context homophobic comments.

There's guys like this everywhere who have an axe to grind for some reason.

Archived