68 replies to this topic

#1 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:08 PM

Remember this??? The idiot minor hockey coach, Martin Tremblay who tripped two opposing players after the game at UBC, has now been convicted of assault and sentenced to 15 days in jail to be served on weekends and one year probation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st5YOXhnACg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OETfWGtoLiM

A Vancouver minor hockey coach caught on video tripping two teenage players on the ice has pleaded guilty to assault.

Martin Tremblay entered the guilty plea through his lawyer Bob Bellows in court on Tuesday, reported the Richmond Review.

Tremblay, who was coaching the UBC Hornets, was lining up to shake hands with the opposing team at the end of a gold-medal game in June. Video which was later posted on YouTube shows Tremblay swinging his foot out and knocking down two players who fall to the ice.

One was unhurt, while the other -- a 13-year-old -- broke his wrist, reported CTV News.

Tremblay's team had won the game against the Richmond Steel.

Bellows told CTV his client feels "shame and remorse" and has written a letter of apology to the teens. Bellows said he is seeking a sentence with no jail time.

Tremblay's sentencing was today and the judge did not accept the no jail time recommendation of the defence nor the 30 day conditional (aka house arrest) sentence sought by the Crown. Tremblay will be lodged for 15 days at the pleasure of Her Majesty the Queen in the provincial crowbar hotel.

A peewee hockey coach who tripped two players following a game last year has been sentenced to 15 days in jail, followed by one year of probation.

Martin Tremblay, 48, pleaded guilty to assault and was sentenced Tuesday in B.C. Provincial Court in Richmond. The sentence will be served intermittently, on weekends.

The incident happened during a spring-league gold-medal game on June 23 at the University of B.C.

It was the last game in a series that had been “rough and chippy,” said Judge Patrick Chen.

Throughout the game Tremblay yelled abuse at one of the opposing players, a 13-year-old identified in court as K.S., making him cry at one point.

After the game, which his team won 5-4, Tremblay stuck his leg out to trip K.S. as players from both teams passed each other shaking hands.

K.S. and the boy in front of him, 10-year-old M.P., lost their balance and fell down. K.S. was later treated for a wrist injury.

At a hearing last month, Crown asked for a 30-day conditional sentence and probation, while defence suggested a suspended sentence or large fine.

http://www.theprovin...h.QMsMlMhU.dpuf

Edited by Wetcoaster, 26 February 2013 - 07:01 PM.

To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#2 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,326 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:17 PM

Good. Justice is served.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#3 Dayman

Dayman

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:26 PM

Absolutely disgusting act. I'm glad his name is out there, just to let everyone know what a fool he is.

#4 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:26 PM

I hope he gets tripped in his cell and... well, you get the idea

140an3r.jpg

#5 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,113 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:28 PM

Really? Such bs. They should have given him a medal for good sportsmanship.
Posted Image

#6 heysoulsisters21

heysoulsisters21

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:53 PM

i hope coaches dont trip and abuse lil timbits anymore

#7 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,658 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:43 PM

Honestly if this didn't go viral there would've been just a slap on the wrists.

Now excuse me while i go and resist arrest, escape from the cops and get away with it because the cops are too afraid to do anything while my buddy records it on his iphone.
Posted Image

#8 Dittohead

Dittohead

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,189 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:55 PM

Aha.. what a dick

#9 PlayStation

PlayStation

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,240 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:09 PM

The mans wife even left him, what a crappy life he must be having now.
Posted Image

"Real Men" :bigblush:

#10 Dellins

Dellins

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:28 PM

The mans wife even left him, what a crappy life he must be having now.

Damn... link?

#11 goalie13

goalie13

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,073 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:41 PM

Damn... link?

"He lost his wife, he lost a number of construction contracts, he's rebuilding his life after this incident," Bellows said outside court. "He's paid a heavy price for his actions that day."

http://www.huffingto..._n_2768922.html
Posted Image

#12 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:48 PM

This is what one moment of losing your cool can cost you.. hope the coach grows up at one point in his lifetime.

"When Jonah's agent called him and said Quentin Tarantino wanted to put him in a spaghetti western [Django Unchained], Jonah was like, 'You had me at spaghetti.'"

"Aziz has been charming audiences and snakes for years. And I guess you’re here tonight because now that Kanye had a real baby he doesn’t need you anymore."

-- Jeff Ross

#13 morrissex95

morrissex95

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:23 AM

He probably had a reason for doing what he did. Also, I don't think this man deserved to lose his wife and a lions share of his business because of this. I don't think what he did was that bad. I got shoved by a 6'4 200 pound tournament organizer and my coach told me to suck it up. I didn't give the guy any attitude he was just immediately belligerent and he even grabbed my arm. This was last year and I was only 16 years old. The year before that the same guy made fun of a fat kid on and the tournament and made some highly out of context homophobic comments.

There's guys like this everywhere who have an axe to grind for some reason.
Posted Image

#14 goalie13

goalie13

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,073 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:40 AM

He probably had a reason for doing what he did.

What reason makes it OK for a guy to break a kid's wrist?
Posted Image

#15 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,118 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:06 AM

One year for tripping?

Must have been Stephane Auger making the call.....
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#16 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,553 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:31 AM

Sucks to be him...

gallery_47851_23_84084.png

medium.png - CDCGML 483288048.png - EHL medium.png - STHS medium.png - CDCFL

#17 Stizz19

Stizz19

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

A drunk driving lady in Victoria killed a motorcyclist and gets 1 day in jail and this guy gets 15 days? Wow...

#18 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:22 AM

He probably had a reason for doing what he did. Also, I don't think this man deserved to lose his wife and a lions share of his business because of this. I don't think what he did was that bad. I got shoved by a 6'4 200 pound tournament organizer and my coach told me to suck it up. I didn't give the guy any attitude he was just immediately belligerent and he even grabbed my arm. This was last year and I was only 16 years old. The year before that the same guy made fun of a fat kid on and the tournament and made some highly out of context homophobic comments.

There's guys like this everywhere who have an axe to grind for some reason.

There is no possible justification for what Tremblay did - which is why he he was charged, convicted and was sentenced to jail time under the criminal law and expelled from minor hockey administratively.

There is a lesson that to take away from this - actions have consequences. In Tremblay's case as far as the consequences... too bad, so sad. He brought this upon himself.

If you were shoved by an adult organizer then he is as big a moron as Tremblay and your coach who told you to suck it up is also an idiot. It is never alright for an adult to physically abuse a teenager in these circumstances. The organizer should have been reported for all the incidents and he should never be allowed near minor hockey players again. And your coach was under a duty to report the physical abuse.

BC Hockey policies prohibiting such conduct and local associations also have such policies. There is a complaint procedure and BC hockey has a Harrassment Officer and Investigators who receive and investigate any complaint of harassment or abuse and make a written report to the Discipline Committee who have braod pwers to impose penalties ranging from apologies to expulsion/banning of the person guilty of harassment or abuse.

8.01 HARASSMENT AND ABUSE POLICY

This policy sets out the principles and practices of BC Hockey regarding harassment and abuse. This policy applies to all employees, directors, volunteers, coaches, athletes, officials and members of BC Hockey. It is the intent of this policy to deal with harassment and abuse issues. The policy is not to circumvent existing policies or procedures of Minor Hockey Associations and/or Districts.

DEFINITION OF HARASSMENT

Harassment is offensive behavior – emotional, physical, and or sexual – that involves discrimination against a person because of their race, national or ethnic origin, age, colour, religion, family status, sexual orientation, sex or gender, disability, marital status, or pardoned conviction. Harassment occurs when someone attempts to negatively control, influence or embarrass another person based on a prohibited ground of discrimination.

EXAMPLES OF HARASSMENT

Harassment can take many forms. Some examples of harassment include:

• unwelcome remarks, slurs, jokes, taunts, or suggestions about a person’s body, clothing, race,
  • national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, marital status, family status, physical or mental
  • disability, sexual orientation, pardoned conviction, or other personal characteristics;
  • unwelcome sexual remarks, invitations, or requests;
  • displays of sexually explicit, sexist, racist, or other offensive or derogatory material;
  • written or verbal abuse or threats;
  • practical jokes that embarrass or insult someone;
  • any form of hazing;
  • leering (suggestive staring) or other offensive gestures;
  • unwelcome physical contact, such as patting, touching, pinching, or hitting;
  • patronizing or condescending behaviour;
  • humiliating someone in front of their peers;
  • abuse of authority that undermines someone’s performance or threatens his or her position;
  • physical or sexual assault.

DEFINITION OF ABUSE

Child abuse is any form of physical, emotional and / or sexual mistreatment or lack of care which causes physical injury or emotional damage to a child. A common characteristic of all forms of abuse against children and youth is an abuse of power or authority and / or breach of trust.

Abuse is an issue of child protection. Protection refers to provincial, territorial or Aboriginal band-appointed child protective services. A child may be need of protection from harm if abuse or neglect is suspected. Information about one’s legal duty to report and circumstances under which reporting must occur according to child protection legislation is available at www.hockeycanada.ca. Some examples include:

• physical abuse;
  • emotional abuse;
  • sexual abuse;
  • neglect.
http://www.bchockey.... 2011 FINAL.pdf

No player is required to "suck it up" and that is an attitude that allows harassment and abuse to continue.

And the "guys like this everywhere who have an axe to grind for some reason" need to be held accountable for their wrongdoing.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

#19 The Hornet

The Hornet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,649 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:23 AM

Really? Such bs. They should have given him a medal for good sportsmanship.

Or at least a participation ribbon.

Posted Image

#20 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:39 AM

A drunk driving lady in Victoria killed a motorcyclist and gets 1 day in jail and this guy gets 15 days? Wow...

I assume you are referring to this case Regina v. Smith, 2012 BCPC 440 (CanLII)
http://canlii.ca/en/...012bcpc440.html

In each case the sentence is dependant upon the individual circumstances of the offence and of the offender and a judge has the discretion to impose a range of sentences (subject to any mandatory minimum sentence).
http://www.theprovin...8436/story.html

In the Smith case the Crown has appealed the sentence.
http://www.theprovin...5330/story.html

Edited by Wetcoaster, 27 February 2013 - 11:48 AM.

#21 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,118 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:48 AM

He probably had a reason for doing what he did. Also, I don't think this man deserved to lose his wife and a lions share of his business because of this. I don't think what he did was that bad.

Seriously?

A grown man acting more childish than the kids he was supposed to be setting an example for? There is no excuse for an act like this and this guy deserves whatever punishment comes his way.

I actually believe that if it hadn't been for the broken wrist, this incident might have been a positive. Guys like this who are coaching impressionable youth need to be weeded out. At least he saved everyone the problem...
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#22 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,113 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:49 PM

Or at least a participation ribbon.

Agreed. He deserved some positive recognition.
Posted Image

#23 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,975 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:59 PM

Frankly I think the kid deserved it.
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#24 Steven Stamkos

Steven Stamkos

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

Hah, what a loser.
Posted Image
Credit to: Ballard_4

#25 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,590 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

Not defending the coach, as he should have known better. Just a bonehead move on his part.

Now that that's out of the way, his punishment should have simply been a lifetime ban from coaching. He has certainly been punished enough as it is, that this would have been enough. The guy is already suffering financially because of his business, due to the incident, and his wife "supposedly" left him because of this incident. Just my opinion.

Also, if his wife left him because of this, then good for him. he deserves better than that. My wife and I have gone through our share of downs in our 9 year marriage, but we always work through it. Your marriage deserves a better effort. I'm inclined to believe that there was more going on, and this was just the tipping point for her. If not, she's an awful person.

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#26 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

Not defending the coach, as he should have known better. Just a bonehead move on his part.

Now that that's out of the way, his punishment should have simply been a lifetime ban from coaching. He has certainly been punished enough as it is, that this would have been enough. The guy is already suffering financially because of his business, due to the incident, and his wife "supposedly" left him because of this incident. Just my opinion.

Also, if his wife left him because of this, then good for him. he deserves better than that. My wife and I have gone through our share of downs in our 9 year marriage, but we always work through it. Your marriage deserves a better effort. I'm inclined to believe that there was more going on, and this was just the tipping point for her. If not, she's an awful person.

He committed a criminal offence that involved children and as such he was charged and convicted. As it should be.

#27 La Mauviette75

La Mauviette75

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:59 PM

honestly i think that jail time is excessive. obviously it was an idiotic move, and he deserved a big fine and a ban from coaching, but jail time is pretty extreme from tripping a kid wearing hockey gear.
Posted Image

O Ville Lumière, Sens la chaleur, de notre coeur

#28 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,590 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:00 PM

He committed a criminal offence that involved children and as such he was charged and convicted.  As it should be.

I didn't say he didn't. What I said, again, is what I "personally" think he should have received. Everyone knows you're the resident lawyer, who loves to rub it in everyones face.Sometimes the law gets it wrong. Not saying this is a case where it was wrong. Just saying, again, what I think would have been sufficient.

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#29 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 23,632 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:16 PM

I believe he had a bit of a history and was already on probation for assault. So, obviously, a strong message needed to be sent, especially in light of the fact that the last incident involved a minor. Absolutely deplorable when those entrusted as role models and mentors for our kids get it so horribly wrong.

Posted Image

#30 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:29 PM

I believe he had a bit of a history and was already on probation for assault. So, obviously, a strong message needed to be sent, especially in light of the fact that the last incident involved a minor. Absolutely deplorable when those entrusted as role models and mentors for our kids get it so horribly wrong.

IMHO 30 - 90 days would not have been out of line for the offence committed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.