The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Offer Sheet] Flames offer sheet Ryan O'Reilly

PlayStation

Sundin, Ballard, Kassian. Those were bold moves. Then there was the failed offer sheet for Backes, the offer sheet for Bernier and the Booth trade, as well as the Hamhuis, Garrison and Malhotra signings.

Perhaps you're wishing Gillis made as many bold moves as every other GM combined, as I assume your mind naturally lumps all other teams together as "other" versus the Canucks as "us".

If you add up Gillis' bold moves and compare that number to the totals of other single GMs, I bet you'll find he's made a competitive number of bold moves..

how many "bold" moves are made each year in the NHL, maybe 2 or 3?, cant expect a GM to make "bold" moves every year. I dont think an offersheet is a bold move most of the time either. In my opinion it is mostly a clear sign of desperation when used like this to grossly overpay a player and in the process give up young assets.

when the Kings traded for Richards and Carter, those were bold moves and got the Kings their first Cup.

Im not saying blow up the team, but do something (and not talking about getting washed players from Florida).

MG cant just sit and wait for a perfect deal to land on his lap, he's gotta make those deal happen. He's been far to quiet for a team that needs a top 6 forward, a 3rd line center and the goalie situation.

I highly doubt the price tag on RoR would gives AVs good returns if they match him.

he's good, but 5 mil in the first year and 6.5 mil in the second year? all these with the cap hit decreasing next season? Flames is shooting its feet again by grossly overpaying players...

Here's the kicker - when was the trade deadline last year? Answer: Feb 27.

If the Avs match, and the deadline for the 2013/14 season is again Feb 27 (or any date earlier than one calendar year from the day they match) then the Avs can't trade him this season, this summer or next season. They'd still have to look at the qualifying offer for the 2014/15 season and only then be able to trade him.

Again, the key point above is one calendar year from the day the Avs match, so if they take the full 7 days (to Mar 6/7) then they wouldn't be able to trade him until Mar 6/7 next year, likely after the trade deadline.

That the Flames offered it today was absolutely a calculated move to make it as hard as possible for the Avs to match.

Having said that, the Flames can't trade him for a year either, so if he doesn't live up to that deal, they're hooped. If they do get him and he comes over but doesn't play well, they're going to have to dump Iginla and Kipper for picks and prospects in the hopes they can rebuild.

MG was lucky Sundin didnt accept the 2 years 20m or else our cap would've been screwed. That count as a bold signing but easily could've turned into a stupid one if he accepted the 2 years.

Ballard is a bold move? no that was a bad trade. There was no reason to do that deal in the first place, he was pressured to make a splash that draft year.

Kassian - This one is an OK move, Hodgson wanted out, but this does not count as 'bold'.

Archived