The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

When is it time to panic? Canucks are 3-5-1 in last 9 games

DonaldBrashear

Read my earlier posts and you'll see why I come here. Can you also point out any of my posts that are trolling? When I say the Canucks are a better team than their record shows, is that trolling? When I say the Canucks are talented, is that trolling?

Canucks 3-5-1 in past 9 games. Time to panic?

The Canucks are now 3-5-1 over their past 9 games. This has caused them to drop from having a secure hold on the division title and almost a sure spot on the playoffs, to being in jeopardy of being in 9th or 10th place in the conference and missing the playoffs. I've seen this story before. For those who take our playoff berths as granted, let me assure you that nothing is written in stone. We've missed the playoffs twice since the dreaded Mark Messier years, and we could miss them again.

At what point is it time to panic? And let me define some examples of panic:

- Making a big trade

- Firing AV or MG

- AV calling the team out publicly

- Dissention in the locker room

I think this team has falling into a lacklustre groove, similar to the fans. Its the regular season, they've won the presidents trophy twice, and it got them no where. Just like the fans, I think they're holding back their excitement and drive until it really matters.

Whether thats ok or not is another question.

Unfortunately it would seem a sizable amount of canucks fans have reading comprehension skills.. add to that a generally slowwwww perception and you have people who lack the basics of communication.

If i were you Id ignore those who post crap like that to you.. youve proven time and time again to be a respectful poster on these boards.

I think if the players follows AV's system 90% of the time, instead of 100% of the time, we will be better as a team. I mean yes having a system and plan in place is great. However you will never surprise the enemy that way. They knew exactly what you are going to do, 24/7. It is hard to win that way.

You should always allow room for randomness, where player skills, experience and instinct matters.

So what does that mean? Well the game is 60 minutes long. Why not have three of 2 minutes (6 minutes total) of run and gun hockey every night? Just randomly pick 3 time, 3 shifts, pick a random line. Totally random and unpredictable. Play like we are down a goal with 2 minutes left in the game, desperate to score. All out attack no one defend.

And then just as fast as it came, we go back to our systematic game.

System, system, system, boom all out attack, system.

System, boom all out attack, system, system, system.

etc

with all the drama that seems to be happening with our club this year, something certainly seems to be off. Agents talking to management, goaltenders, losing players via the waiver wire, let's just say I've glanced at it and I'm aware of where it is located.

I dont want an * beside our name on the cup. This is a year we need to solidify as a team or it will never happen. We need to deal with the goalie situation. We need to move Kassian to the top line and let him spend the whole year there learning to play with the Sedins, so there will be some size on that line come play-off time. We need to learn to win 5 on 5 with out the need of our spotty but potient PP, and by that time hopefully Kess will be fully back in the line up playing with Burr. Then we make another serious run for it, in full legit year.

I think if the players follows AV's system 90% of the time, instead of 100% of the time, we will be better as a team. I mean yes having a system and plan in place is great. However you will never surprise the enemy that way. They knew exactly what you are going to do, 24/7. It is hard to win that way.

You should always allow room for randomness, where player skills, experience and instinct matters.

So what does that mean? Well the game is 60 minutes long. Why not have three of 2 minutes (6 minutes total) of run and gun hockey every night? Just randomly pick 3 time, 3 shifts, pick a random line. Totally random and unpredictable. Play like we are down a goal with 2 minutes left in the game, desperate to score. All out attack no one defend.

etc

etc

As for panicking...

We're almiost half way thorugh the season and 3rd in the west. That's the good news

We are 3-4-3 in our last 10 an there are 8 teams within 4 points of us, some with games in hand. The team has not played inspiiring hockey in any kind of consistent way though there have been times when they have looked like what we expect.

At this moment, they are still in control of their playoff destiny so no need to panic though a healthy level of concern is warranted.

Unless they want to end up chasing other teams, some of whom could get hot and be tough to catch, they need to find their game in the next couple weeks and start to solidify their game and lines so they head down the stretch comfortable in their skin.

I'll give them another 2 weeks before my concern starts to turn to mild panic.

Archived