27 replies to this topic

#1 Canuckler87

Canuckler87

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:27 PM

I think it was a mistake to extend elder at the start of the season. He seems to be way to satisfied out there. The payday he got seems to have drained his motivation & compete levels (typical athlete behaviour). We should have waited till maybe midseason or offseason because it just seems like he's in his own world out there now.

What i would suggest is to sit him out for a game. In the press box. Or atleast take his minutes down a significant amount. Give him the kick in the butt he needs to wake up & play better defensively. Tonight was not the only time his defense gaps have cost us. This cannot keep going on throughout the stretch drive & into the playoffs. AV must take care of it now. Maybe it's that he's trying too hard offensively? Either way he needs to be told to simplify his game defensively, and that the offense will surely follow. This is one of those times an organization has to take the reigns on a players performance so it doesn't become a permanent habit!

Edited by Canuckler87, 07 March 2013 - 11:28 PM.

#2 kj29

kj29

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:30 PM

this is what happens when gillis stupidly lets salo go to some crappy tampa bay team.....

o5udj8.jpg

medium.jpg CDCFL medium.jpg CDCEHL medium.jpg CDCSTHS

*Commissioner of CDCYHL*

#3 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,379 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:32 PM

CAN WE STOP WITH THE EDLER THREADS

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#4 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:32 PM

So it's Edlers fault that our forwards have no consistency aside from the Sedins?

I agree, Edler isn't playing well, but neither is anyone on this team at the moment. I disagree that it is Edler that is costing us.
Posted Image

#5 VCanucks69

VCanucks69

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:35 PM

Edler is costing us..

Just a few more dollars then Booth or Ballard!

so get off his back, we know he like everyone else hasnt been great.

#6 5nothincanucksohno

5nothincanucksohno

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:36 PM

I think one game in the press box would be a good thing for Edler.

The other two pairings played well tonight...Edler, Tanev were really bad.

Sub in Ballard for Edler.

AV is always talking about accountibility.

#7 Canuck919191

Canuck919191

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:37 PM

If you think Edler is bad, you don't watch enough hockey outside of the Canucks.

Sure he is making a few more mistakes than we'd like, but trading away a top 10 two-way D-man isn't usually the best option for a team trying to contend.

As for the goal against in overtime today vs CBJ, I'm wondering what Henrik and Tanev were doing on the play as much as Edler.

#8 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,764 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:40 PM

If you think Edler is bad, you don't watch enough hockey outside of the Canucks.

Sure he is making a few more mistakes than we'd like, but trading away a top 10 two-way D-man isn't usually the best option for a team trying to contend.

As for the goal against in overtime today vs CBJ, I'm wondering what Henrik and Tanev were doing on the play as much as Edler.

lololololol

remember Edler in the playoffs last year? by far the worst NHL'er in the post season, without question

this year he's been consistently poor.

Edler is not top 10 anything.
Posted Image

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#9 sam13371337

sam13371337

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:48 PM

Edler is one of those players you cant criticize/ you cant not criticize.

talent wise he is up there, and that shields him from any calls to get benched/demoted.

But he just makes so many stupid mistakes and plays so inconsistently at times it gets really frustrating.

at the end of the day, when its all said an done; its fair to expect a little more consistent/ error free hockey from someone of his pedigree.
Fire MG

#10 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:50 PM

lololololol

remember Edler in the playoffs last year? by far the worst NHL'er in the post season, without question

Regular season 49 points +/- 0 !!
playoffs -2

Fooled everyone with his points that he was a Norris candidate and got a contract he doesn't deserve. HIghest paid D on the team and a NTC. Shame on you GIllis.

#11 ButterBean

ButterBean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:56 PM

AV doesn't have the balls to sit Edler a game let alone give him under 20 minutes a night.

#12 darnucks

darnucks

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:58 PM

I remember one time an ex-GM was on the team 1040 (maybe Doug MacLean not sure though) and he said that in no way, no matter how badly he was playing, would you ever put one of your top players in the press box.

I know it's annoying and sometimes I too would like to see them sit out a game just to make a point but us fans so often forget this is a business. Think about the money that's paying the guy to do nothing, yikes! Maybe some coaches have done it but I doubt too many have without hearing from the GM or possible losing the player all together.
The chance of Edler being sat out is slim to none. Let's just hope he gets out of his funk otherwise we're doomed.

#13 Butters Stoch

Butters Stoch

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:01 AM

After terrible games, he still gets more ice time than anyone on the team. Sit him for a game and see how he responds, this team couldn't be playing any worse anyways.

sig by Malkin71

#14 Canuck919191

Canuck919191

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:07 AM

lololololol

"by far the worst NHL'er in the post season, without question"

Obviously I've lost the argument by default seeing as I'm having a discussion with a child. lol

#15 Gonz

Gonz

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:10 AM

Edler is costing us is such a dumb comment. People lose credibility thinking one person makes the team lose. This team isn't based on one defenseman. If it was, than we have a serious issue. Whole team isn't good now, and isn't scoring enough, ie power play. We need stop these dumb threads that are repeated. Doesn't take a genius to figure out why the team is losing.

#16 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:11 AM

Just let him play left wing and float around with his head in the clouds thinking about his next vacation.
(Pretty much what he's doing now)
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted ImageBodee, on 18 April 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/328055-whats-wrong-with-me
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#17 Kass9

Kass9

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:16 AM

Alex Edler has got to be the most overrated player on this team by CDC

#18 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,764 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:35 AM

"by far the worst NHL'er in the post season, without question"

Obviously I've lost the argument by default seeing as I'm having a discussion with a child. lol

it's an obvious exaggeration

he was so poor that any casual dismissal of his performance seems like a colossal understatement. so exaggeration is required

re-watch the playoffs from last year. edler was godawful.
Posted Image

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#19 Canuckler87

Canuckler87

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:42 AM

^ above poster, it's true. i remember being frustrated with him last years playoffs too

#20 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,367 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:42 AM

He scored 2 goals vs LA, and still managed to be the unanimous choice for the playoff plug award. It takes a special kind of awful to pull that off.

This is the guy, who while making a final rush to potentially tie the game, goalie pulled clock tickin down..shot the puck over the glass for a delay of game penalty...from his own zone....with zero forecheck....

...twice.

#21 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:44 AM

I'm Edler's BIGGEST fan and even I'm starting to get really damn frustrated. I still believe in the kind of player he can become and I still don't mind him on the top pairing with Tanev, but I'm not really liking him right now at all. He's just screwing up plays at both ends. Looks like he's falling apart right now, to be honest.

#22 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:47 AM

We just have to let him play through it. Honestly. The guy isn't going to find his confidence and consistency if the Canucks don't let him play through this. It's frustrating to watch, but then again it was frustrating to watch Schneider struggle as well, yet a large group of people want Luongo traded so that Schneider can play through it and run with the job. It's also frustrating to watch Daniel barely hit 1 shot a game.

Bottom line: your top guys are the best guys you have so you have to let them play through their struggles. Edler is one of our top guys. Hopefully he snaps out of it sooner rather than later.

#23 kamloopsblazers22

kamloopsblazers22

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:53 AM

can i say. I miss ernhoff. I was leaving vancouver and heading home to kamloops. When i heard ernhoff wasn't going to be on canucks again after the awesome run to the finals. I was really sad to see him leave...

#24 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:02 AM

Alex Edler has got to be the most overrated player on this team by CDC

Do you actually read other people's posts? Just about everyone around here thinks he's awful and this is only one of three treads about his awfulness.

#25 SergioMomesso

SergioMomesso

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:18 AM

lololololol

Here here. Edler has been atrocious all season. Every other shift he is either getting walked wide, out worked down low or losing focus and letting pucks dribble by him on the blue line.
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:5584]

#26 Ohnoeszz

Ohnoeszz

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:58 AM

It looks like he's playing with a hurt lower back. He's so much slower/more deliberate in his movements.

#27 Apples

Apples

Rarity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,173 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:59 AM

Edler needs to be benched. Give him a break and wake him up

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#28 Blackberries

Blackberries

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,535 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:11 AM

why give him a huge friggin contract if he is damaged goods?
Posted Image
Movember Kassian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.