The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Manny Curse? The Canucks have tanked since Malhotra was placed on IR

gradin123

What you guys don't understand is that this is all a matter of projection. No, the Sedins and Burrows aren't under-performing because Volpatti was put on waivers. To suggest this has some long-lasting negative emotional resonance would imply these players are incapable of emotionally handling the inevitabilities of the business they work in. Very few players last on the teams they were drafted by--ESPECIALLY THE CANUCKS!

CDC overrated Volpatti to astronomical lengths. Had he scored more than 3 goals in a Canucks shirt, lord knows we'd be seeing Volpatti threads for years, like Torres.

Half of CDC wanted Malholtra's name in the rafters when his eye was popped out, and then a year later, they wanted him traded. Now he's provided a curse for the team. Once again, I think people are overstating his importance and value due to sentimentality. If a team as experienced as the Canucks seriously needs to look to Malholtra for leadership at this point, then there's yet another problem with the team.

To me, this is just more classic absurdity from fans on CDC. People looking for a reason to justify their prejudices and their anxieties over the team. In this case, it's just a way to deflect all the fans' negative energy onto Gillis.

We all have our own ways of coping with the garbage team this year. I, for one, turn into a racist and blame all the heartless Americans on the team. No real justification for that, mind you. And I'm not sure I even believe it myself. Just like I hope the OP doesn't actually believe his post, too.

the lottery wheel curse in 1970. We got Dale Tallon to draft and he hasn't stopped hurting us ever since- beat us twice in Chicago, traded us Ballard, won't take Luongo off our hands despite having absolutely piss poor goaltending. What did we do to deserve Dale Tallon???

One example would be Montador who was just on waivers.......a risk for sure, but at least a move to try to address the issue.....

There is no one to call up due to the incredibly brutal drafting and development of the Canucks unfortunately.

Gillis supporters drink the kool-aid that trades are impossible to make.....get real. You just have to be willing to give to get.

I think maybe you were assuming that I was "attacking" you with my original question. I suppose that's natural, considering our sometimes adversarial debates in the past.

I this case, however, I was genuinely curious as to what you thought should be done. I don't know if you had Montador in mind when you made your first mention of acquiring a right-side guy, but it's not a terrible idea. However, there may be a couple of issues:

Montador's Cap hit is just under 3 million, for 4 more years which means some salary would have to be shed in order to take him on. Gillis might consider that, but he's been sidelined with PCS for most of the year, so it would be a gamble.

Still, worth considering, especially with him being a BC boy...

Can you elaborate as to why the Aquillinis are part of the problem? Maybe an explanation would help me understand, since they have done a lot to provide the Canucks fans with a pretty entertaining product on the ice since they took over the ownership...they've spent to the cap...supported building a strong culture from within...strong community presence...have made their product accessible to all of their fans...

Or is it that every aspect of the team is to be blamed when the team goes into a slump? I'm mad as hell at the vendor who sold me my hot dog at the Canucks v. Kings game because it wasn't piping hot...he's part of the problem!!!

I absolutely waas thinking of Montador as a possible solution when I made the comment.... ;) Would he be more of a gamble though than Ballard who is not going to get used properly anyway? I don't think so.

The way I see it is this: Worst case scenario is they trade Ballard for what they can get and pick up Montador. He then gets his bell rung and is out so they go with Barker/Alberts just like they are doing now anyway. What's the real downside?

The only reason they won't do such a thing is that Gillis seems to not be willing to admit the Ballard trade was a mistake and just cut his losses.

I would have more respect for - and confidence in - Gillis if he could do so actually and just focus on what he can control and that is making moves now to improve this team's key weaknesses.

I think trading Ballard would probably be a good idea. I still think he brings value to the defense, but he's just eating up too much Cap at the moment.

The problem that I see is finding a trading partner. He still has another year at 4.2 million, so Gillis needs to find someone who can afford him. (Preferably from the East)

But you're right, Gillis has totally failed to give an elite goalie away for peanuts just because fans clamored for it (before jumping back on the Luowagon when he was playing so well, and then damn near breaking their necks jumping back off after a bad game.) And given Schneider's spectacular and consistent play this season and obvious comfort with the pressure and expectations of being a starter it's a real shame too. Maybe if he tied a red bow around Luo's neck and put a "Free Goalie" sign on his chest someone would finally take that bum off our hands?

Archived